What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running Appreciation thread

Misanthrope

Staff member
I'm only just getting back into running after a six month shin splint enforced lay-off. It's been frustrating having to basically start from scratch again, but it's my own fault for basically forsaking all forms of cardio when I could have been riding or swimming to stay in shape.

Baby stepping it back to 3k runs at a decent enough pace (15m) but aiming to get back to where I was a few years ago. Aiming for a sub 90m City 2 Surf this year as well as a half marathon by years end.

TBH, long distances aren't my thing, but I'd like to have them checked off my bucket list before I drop back to the 10k range - which I enjoy running far more than longer races.

Aiming to do the Hill to Harbour up in Newie on April 1st if I'm still on Australian shores.

Cliffhanger

Coach
Starting running daily again for the sake of it. Been doing 10-12ks on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Saturdays, 17 ks on Thursdays and Sundays, and 2.5 to 5 ks Monday and Friday. It's probably too much, especially as I am just getting back into it, but I guess if I was a more balanced individual I wouldn't have achieved what I have.

Danish

Referee
75-80km weeks straight off the bat, nice!

I'm in taper mode at the moment with my first ever marathon coming up sunday week in Canberra. 3 months of dedicated training, diet and discipline almost over!

Been running 6 days per week. Speed sessions on tuesday and friday, 12-14km on wednesday, 8km easy runs on thursday and saturday and then a long run (started at 20km and built up in 2km increments to 36km) on sundays.

The speed sessions were usually around 8-10km of running made up of 400m, 800m, 1000m or 1600m repetitions, 300m hillsprints or a fartlek session.

Aiming for 3:45 as my goal time, however under 4:00 will make me happy. If I can get below 3:45 I'll be absolutely stoked :)

Cliffhanger

Coach
Did my 10k run in under 48 minutes, not a PB but my best time in a year probably. Did my 17 k run on Thursday in just over 90 minutes, which was a bit of an unexpected shock as it was so damn painfulm 12 k runs on Tuesday and Wednesday took around an hour. Not paying attention to my times for the shorter runs as they are really more about recovery.

Danish

Referee
Good luck with that. That will be an awesome achievement.

Thanks mate. Getting pretty nervous/excited about it now with it only being a few days away. Can't see myself getting too much work done this week as all I'm thinking about is the race.

Danish

Referee
Did my 10k run in under 48 minutes, not a PB but my best time in a year probably. Did my 17 k run on Thursday in just over 90 minutes, which was a bit of an unexpected shock as it was so damn painfulm 12 k runs on Tuesday and Wednesday took around an hour. Not paying attention to my times for the shorter runs as they are really more about recovery.

Not bad times at all considering you are only just getting back into it as well.

IIRC you have a pretty killer city2surf time, something around 60 mins or something right?

Danish

Referee
I'm aiming for a mid-60s time this year. Ran 72 last year but am quite a bit fitter now so should be able to do that easily. If I could get into the low 60s I'd be very happy.

Going to start speed training once the marathon is over this weekend to try and get my 10km time down to around 41 mins (currently at 46 mins) over the next few months with views of running a 45-46 min sutho2surf (11km course) in July.

Danish

Referee
Well marathon competed, finishing time 3:47 :D

Thought I was going to die at about 32km, but my mate dragged me along and at the 38km mark we were making 3:44 pace. He then got struck with severe stomach and hamstring cramps and we slowed up somewhat, but I was never going to leave him behind after he carried me for so long prior.

We crossed the line leaning on each other. The rush of emotions once finished was crazy.

Truly great experience.

Red Bear

Referee
Well done Danish

Went running the other day around Hill 60 in Port then played basketball that arvo and soccer the next day. Quads have been sore since. Not running too badly as I slowly get back into it after ankle ligament tear but going to be hard to balance soccer and running when workload cant be too high.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Well marathon competed, finishing time 3:47 :D

Thought I was going to die at about 32km, but my mate dragged me along and at the 38km mark we were making 3:44 pace. He then got struck with severe stomach and hamstring cramps and we slowed up somewhat, but I was never going to leave him behind after he carried me for so long prior.

We crossed the line leaning on each other. The rush of emotions once finished was crazy.

Truly great experience.

Champion effort, and well done for sticking with your mate. Me ill be happy if I can crack 80 for the C2S (will be my first).

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
Believe me even if I'd tried to push ahead I'd probably only have ended up running 30 seconds or so faster.... and who cares about that after well over 3 hours of running?

Actual official time was 3:47.15 according to the results today. Sore as today but already planning the next run (probaby the SMH half marathon next month with a view of qualifying for the red group in the C2S).

Red Bear

Referee
I'd be weary doing a half so soon after the marathon. Generally takes a good 6 weeks to recover sufficiently from a marathon, and it's really something you dont want to return to racing from too quickly (as my dad found out years back), you can just cause yourself damage.

Having said that, i'd like to do the Sydney Half, unsure i'll be fit enough yet but see how we go the next couple of weeks.

_snafu_

Immortal
That is fantastic to hear Danish - congratulations. Thanks for describing how you and your mate felt over the run. It is always interesting to hear at what stage runners hit the wall in a marathon and how they overcome it.

Alehana

Juniors
Well done Danish thats impressive. On the point of marathons I got asked to do the city to surf marathon in August, I anyone's got any advice on training in the lead up and race strategies, any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
I've got back into running over the last week and half for the first time in years, just doing interval training one day and then one long (for me) run the next. Up to around 5-6 km on that. Gonna try get up to 10km being reasonably comfortble and maintain fitness with 3 10km a runs a week.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Well done Danish thats impressive. On the point of marathons I got asked to do the city to surf marathon in August, I anyone's got any advice on training in the lead up and race strategies, any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance.

City to Surf isn't a marathon, it's only 14km.

Just go to the city to surf website, they have a whole training guide for first time runners. It'll be my first as well, should be a fun day!

Danish

Referee

Are you running to finish in a certain time or are you just wanting to finish?

If you just want to go the distance, then running 3 times a week (2 x short runs, 1 x long run) would be enough. Start your short runs at 2-3km and your long runs at 5-6km then just add 500m per week to each distance till you are running 6-7km for your short runs and 11-12km on your long run. Just complete them all at a pace you are comfortable with. If you are starting from scratch then don't be afraid to walk every now and then, getting the distance is more important than time. On the other hand If you are already reasonably fit then simply increase the starting distances to whatever suits you then build up from there.

If you have a certain time you want to run, I'd throw in a 1-2 speed sessions in beteeen the easy runs set out above. 1km repetitions and some hill work would be my suggestion, with maybe 1 x of your short runs also done at "race pace" or better to get a feel for what it will be like on the day

Regardless of which way you are running it, I would definitely suggest doing some runs on hills in your training. Heartbreak hill is an absolute bitch and can completely destroy runners who have been sticking to flat training routes.

Last edited:

Latest posts