What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your prehistoric NSWRL team.

JTR

Juniors
Late 80's / early 90's was when I got into the NSWRL, and I was a Canberra nut too.

Loved the perioed when they had Ken Nagas, Noa Nandruku & Brett Mullins as the back three!

Skinner

Coach
Late 80's / early 90's was when I got into the NSWRL, and I was a Canberra nut too.

Loved the perioed when they had Ken Nagas, Noa Nandruku & Brett Mullins as the back three!

You would have enjoyed the '89 Grand Final then..

JTR

Juniors
You would have enjoyed the '89 Grand Final then..

Yeah that was awesome!

Equally though, I absolutely hated the 1991 Grand Final loss to Penrith, and even though Greg Alexander went on to play for the Warriors, I never really forgave him for his part in my misery a few years earlier!

Matua

Bench
I thought I'd see way more Maori Warringah fans in here.

I've been a Raiders fan since 1989. I couldn't bring myself to switch to the Warriors, I just loved the Raiders faaaaaar too much. It was insane...still is.
I'm the opposite, as soon as the Warriors were formed all other allegiances went out the door. It actually changed the way I view the comp as before I'd watch all games without fail and now I'll watch the Warriors and then maybe one or two other 'big' clashes a weekend. I've also lost interest in SOO as the years have gone on as I came to the conclusion it's a game between two Aussie teams, and unlike Tamou I'm a Kiwi.

I used to really like the Raiders but remember hating them in the game where they beat Maori Warringah in the semi finals when they took a quick tap when the ref was talking. Despite all the Kiwis at Manly Michael O'Connor was always my favourite. Brad Clyde at the Raiders.

JTR

Juniors
I switched to the Warriors as soon as they formed too, and now funnily enough cannot stand Canberra!

Still enjoy the SOO though.
Have always gone for QLD. Mal Meninga was my favourite player at Canberra, he played for QLD... etc

I used to really like the Raiders but remember hating them in the game where they beat Maori Warringah in the semi finals when they took a quick tap when the ref was talking. Despite all the Kiwis at Manly Michael O'Connor was always my favourite. Brad Clyde at the Raiders.

That was the Gary Coyne 4 try game in 91 yeah?

JTR, the back 3 of Mullins, Nagas & Nadruku are the stuff dreams are made of. All of those long range tries...That was an amazing few years.

WarriorDefence

Juniors
Bears originally coz of Graham and friend then switched to the panthers when Freddie hit the scene, surprised he's been so popular in a warriors forum but he was the man.
Warriors hard since the pre season game they played in chch 95

Blair

Coach
My father was Manly but I never got into them, without ever hating them (like I do now). Just didn't care for them and they threatened Canberra for the title, particularly in the '91 finals ("Frankie Stokes is in!" - but as mentioned Canberra won that classic).

I'd forgotten about that 'Maori-Warringah' tag, but now remember a segment on tvnz where Ridge, K.Iro, T.Iro and Williams lined-up and joked that not one of them was actually 'Maori' and then gave their heritage. It went: "Armenian, Cook Islander, Cook Islander, Samoan."

Very, very early on (circa 1979), when I got my first rugby league annual from my uncle, it had a picture of the Sorenson brothers in Sharkies gear. I supported them for a week or two. Also, mum and dad went to the '83 GF and brought me home a Parra top, they were my team that year I guess.

Just on this note, I'm trying to think who was the first New Zealander to win a Sydney premiership? Was it Toddy in '89?

Micistm

Bench
Broncs man early on...due to Alfie Langer being my league hero, living in Bris (very) briefly...and it felt at the time like Brisbane were similiar to us- the 'outsiders' in a NSW comp.

Matua

Bench
That was the Gary Coyne 4 try game in 91 yeah?

JTR, the back 3 of Mullins, Nagas & Nadruku are the stuff dreams are made of. All of those long range tries...That was an amazing few years.
Yep, that's the one - they had cracking finals series back then!

Blair

Coach
...Just on this note, I'm trying to think who was the first New Zealander to win a Sydney premiership? Was it Toddy in '89?

In answering my own question, it came to me last night in bed like a bolt from the blue (might be time for a girlfriend?):

Darrell Williams with Manly in '87.

Last edited:

Matua

Bench
I wonder if there were any Kiwis who win way back in the day? After the 1908 tour some NZers might have moved to Sydney for the comp?

Rich102

Staff member
1935 George Nepia went to the UK to play league. Don't know of any who went to Sydney before then, though I am sure there were.
Cec Mountford went to Wigan in 1946.

Matua

Bench
1935 George Nepia went to the UK to play league. Don't know of any who went to Sydney before then, though I am sure there were.
Cec Mountford went to Wigan in 1946.
Quite a few of the All Golds returned to the UK to play, I would have expected a couple to head to Oz.

Rich102

Staff member
I am not sure when the Sydney clubs took off. I am sure you are right - I just don't know of any.

Skinner may know. Or League Nut - he seems to know everything important.

Rich102

Staff member
This from Wikipedia:

The All Golds were Hercules Richard "Bumper" Wright (captain), George William Smith (vice-captain), Albert Baskirville (secretary), Herbert Turtill, Harold Rowe, Duncan McGregor, Dally Messenger, Edgar Wrigley, Joseph Lavery, Richard Wynyard, William Wynyard, Lance Todd, Edward Tyne, William Tyler, Arthur Kelly, Tom "Angry" Cross, William Massa Johnston, Eric Watkins, Conrad Byrne, Adam Lile, Daniel Gilchrist, Arthur Callam, Charles Pearce, William Trevarthen, Charles Dunning, William Mackrell, Daniel Fraser (assistant manager), Jim Gleeson (treasurer), and H.J. Palmer (financial manager).[2]
[edit] The Kiwis

The 1910 Great Britain Lions tour of Australia and New Zealand saw the Kiwis' first ever test on home soil, with the British side proving too strong. In 1911 the New Zealand national team toured Australia.
The NZRU was able to control a lot of what the New Zealand Rugby League (NZRL) was able to get its hands on. In 1926, the Union took legal action, trying to stop the League from using the name, the "All Blacks" as their touring name. The NZRL felt that they had equal ownership to the name and were not ready to relinquish it. However by this time the press had already nicknamed the team 'the Kiwis', because of the badge included on their jerseys. Despite the League trying to discourage its usage, the name has stuck ever since.
The 1926–27 New Zealand tour of Britain involved several skirmishes within the Kiwi party.[3] Problems began on the boat journey over, with disputes developing about aspects of the trip and a rift developed between tour manager and coach, Mr Mair, an Australian and seven forwards. The disputes continued once the party arrived in Britain, with one of the rebels being involved in a street fight with another member of the tour party after the opening match. In mid-November, following further disturbances, which almost led to the tour party being evicted from their Harrogate hotel, it was decided that coach Mair would withdraw from team selection and match tactics for a period of four weeks. The tour, and the costly disputes, continued, with the rebels eventually setting sail for home a week earlier than their colleagues. Three months later all seven players were banned for life by the New Zealand authorities. New Zealand did not visit Europe again until 1939.
In 1938, for a tour of Australia, the New Zealand Rugby League officially adopted the name the "New Zealand Kiwis". This side was also the first to wear a white "V" on their jerseys.[4]
[edit] Post-war

In 1947 at Bradford in England, a crowd of 42,680 saw New Zealand play, setting a new record for the team on British soil.[5]
The Kiwis were unbeaten in any test series from 1948 to 1951 and won six of their nine tests. They toured England and France in 1951–52. New Zealand were hosted by France for the first ever World Cup match in 1954's inaugural tournament. They lost that match as well as the remaining two to finish last. In the 1957 World Cup New Zealand got their first World Cup win, with victory against France in one of their three matches. The Kiwis got exactly the same result in the 1960 World Cup too.
During the 1961–63 era, New Zealand won seven out of ten test matches, including a 2–0 series win over Great Britain, then considered the top rugby league nation in the world. The most outstanding performance by the New Zealanders was their record-breaking 19–0 win over Britain in 1962. It was only the second time a British team had been held scoreless. New Zealand in the period 1960-65 won the Courtney Goodwill Trophy for most successful test-playing nation

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Zealand_national_rugby_league_team

Skinner

Coach
The only person I know, who would have this info (outside of Shaun Fagan, who has now closed his RL1908 site) is Mad Unit who is compiling his own history of the game along with Azkatro.

Nut may indeed be helpful though.....he bleeds stats :D as well as perpertrating bad April Fools jokes.

LeagueNut

First Grade
I'm pretty sure Blair is right with Darryl Williams in 1987.

I remember reading somewhere that the first time a Kiwi won the comp was also the first time there had been a Kiwi in each of the Grand Final sides, so we were guaranteed to have a Kiwi winner out of it.

1987 was Manly vs Canberra, so was Toddy playing for the Raiders back then?

Latest posts