What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3rd Test: West Indies v Australia at Roseau Apr 23-27, 2012

Patorick

Staff member
On a radio feed anywhere?
3753598-3x4-340x453.jpg

"No".

aussies1st

Staff member
Haha I see Holding was having a go at Pup for bringing on Warner then he got the Windies golden boy.

He's a wanker. Has spent too long with the sky sports commentary team. They've rubbed off on him.

Brilliant stuff from Wade. Has put us in a dominant position.

Horrie Is God

First Grade
http://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket/standout-stars-leave-windies-on-the-brink-20120425-1xk25.html

Standout stars leave Windies on the brink..

Andrew Wu, Roseau, Dominica
April 25, 2012 - 9:48AM
third-test-729-420x0.jpg

Howzat!...Matthew Wade, Michael Clarke, David Warner and Ed Cowan celebrate after taking the wicket of West Indies batsman Darren Bravo. Photo: AFP

Outstanding performances by two of the country's most promising young stars left the West Indies teetering on the brink in the third Test and Australia poised to claim another series victory in the Caribbean.

Matthew Wade's maiden Test century turned the match back in Australia's favour before Nathan Lyon triggered a catastrophic batting collapse which left the Windies in complete disarray on Tuesday.

art-mitchell_starc-420x0.jpg

Crucial runs ... Mitchell Starc tin action. Photo: AP

A day that began with Australia with their backs to the wall finished with the visitors overwhelming favourites to claim victory.

In a performance reminiscent of the Windies teams of recent years rather than the side that has competed so spiritedly in the past six weeks, the hosts lost a stunning 7-56 during the afternoon session.

They staggered to stumps on 8-165, with Shivnarine Chanderpaul on 34 and Ravi Rampaul on 24, still trailing by 163 runs.

On a wicket that was already proving treacherous for batting and which is unlikely to improve, the Windies - even if their bowlers produce a rabbit out of the hat - are facing a final-innings run chase well in excess of 300 if they are to level the series.

There was little hint of what was to come when the Windies reached 1-62 shortly before tea but they then melted in the face of a fierce onslaught from a ruthless Australian team.

Lyon, for the second match in a row, proved the Windies' nemesis. Not only did the off-spinner claim three wickets but he strangled the hosts with his accuracy and sharp turn during a 23-over spell as impressive as that produced a day earlier by opposing number Shane Shillingford.

His dismissal of Adrian Barath approaching tea, followed in the next over by David Warner's removal of the dangerous Darren Bravo, proved to be the defining wicket of the innings.

The opener had added 61 runs with Kieran Powell and though the pair were not threatening to take the game away from Australia they were taking out the juice from Clarke's bowlers and leaving them at the mercy of the hosts' more accomplished players down the order.

Any hope of a Windies revival after tea evaporated when Powell, Narsingh Deonarine, Carlton Baugh and Darren Sammy all fell cheaply.

Sammy's wicket was the most needless of them all, the captain run out by a direct hit from Ed Cowan, who had earlier claimed three catches, fielding at cover.
Wade was the star in the morning, clubbing a game-changing 106 in a manner of another left-handed wicket-keeper batsman Adam Gilchrist.

In a match where batsmen have struggled to score, Wade smashed his last 84 runs off only 74 balls and sprinted from 50 to 100 off only 33 deliveries.

He added 57 valuable runs with Mitchell Starc, who made a career-best 35, for the eighth wicket and another 102 with No.10 Ben Hilfenhaus, who made 19.

Wade made his mind up early that attack was his best method of defence, then proceeded to sap the life out of the Windies, who lacked urgency and played with little thought.

Shillingford finished with six wickets but was surprisingly not introduced until the eighth over of the morning by which time Wade, with help from Starc, had already set the tone of the day.

Hallatia

Referee
Wade untroubled by Clarke's backing of Haddin
Daniel Brettig at Windsor Park
April 25, 2012

Matthew Wade has refused to lobby for the No. 1 Australia wicketkeeper's spot, even after his match-turning century against West Indies in Dominica made a compelling case for his retention at the start of the next home summer. Captain Michael Clarke has made it patently clear that he wants Brad Haddin back in the Australia Test team as soon as he is able to return - Haddin had withdrawn from this tour due to a serious family issue - and Wade showed no inclination to dispute the order of seniority following his 106 at Windsor Park.

While many observers at the ground were left to wonder how Haddin could take the gloves back against South Africa at the Gabba later this year, given how capably Wade batted with the Australia tail, the man himself said he was quite happy to cede the position come November.

"Hadds was supposed to play this tour and I've come in and taken his spot in an unfortunate situation - personal reasons back home that Hadds has. So that's as far as I'm looking," Wade said. "I know it's cliché, but that's as far as I'm looking. We're playing these games then we've got a pretty big gap in Test cricket. Hopefully I can hold my spot in the one-dayers and take things from there.

"I don't think it [the century] changes [anything], my mindset definitely hasn't changed. There's a lot of one-day and Twenty20 cricket in between, a lot of water under the bridge before the first Test against South Africa at the Gabba, so I'll do my job and see how it goes. Pup [Clarke] said that Haddin's No. 1 in Test cricket and that sits fine with me, I'm happy to fill the void for a while and go and play some one-day cricket."

Having fought and scrapped early on in his knock, as he had done in most of his innings so far on this tour, Wade accelerated in stunning fashion around the fall of Mitchell Starc's wicket. Unperturbed by the fact he was batting with the bowlers, Wade said that while his advance to a century had been dramatic, it was in keeping with the sort of back-end rhythm that typified most of his better innings.

"In first-class cricket that's generally the way I play," he said. "I know that if I can get myself in for long enough that I can make it [the scoring-rate] up towards the end if I'm batting with the tail. I think a lot of my innings at times are like that. It takes me a little bit of time to get going but I can make it up towards the end. Maybe not make it up like I did today, but that's generally my game plan. I'm not too worried about scoreboard pressure as such. I try and build an innings and try, and catch up at the back end.

"Towards the end I knew Hilfy [Ben Hilfenhaus] and Lyono [Nathan Lyon] had been batting well, so I wasn't too concerned. I didn't change my game too much. I backed them because I knew they would stick around for me. If I happened to be not out at the end then I was not out, that's how I looked at it. There was definitely no intent to go out and try and slog sweep or get the run-rate up, I just batted the way I thought I should have batted in that situation and backed the bloke at the other end."

Wade struggled noticeably early in the tour, in conditions completely foreign to him as both wicketkeeper and batsman. But he has learned over time, adding the sweep shot to his game against the slow bowlers, and in Dominica was able to contribute a critical innings when his team was in most desperate need.

"I don't think I had any doubt I could play Test cricket. It's been a massive tour for me, I've learned so much right from the first game we played, the one-dayers where the conditions were just so different from what I'm used to," he said. "I felt every game that I was getting a lot better, we've been working on things every day to get better in these conditions - we've got subcontinent conditions coming up at the Twenty20 World Cup and that kind of stuff.

"It was about more improvement to get better. I felt I was good enough to play at this level if I could just get things to go right for me. It was about improving the little things, the conditions were a massive thing and I brought out my sweep halfway through the one-day series, I decided I'd use the sweep a lot more and I've brought that with me into the Tests. It's going to be a massive shot for me going forward in subcontinent conditions."
Sauce

Latest posts