What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Junior Reps Harold Matthews & SG Ball

KAB

Juniors
I see the semis in HM this weekend are:

Souths v Newcastle and Penrith v Wests

Souths finished 1st then lost the qualifer against 4th placed Parra
Newcastle finished 5th then won their semi against 8th placed Canterbury
Penrith finished 2nd then lost their qualifier against 3rd place Balmain
Wests finished 6th then won their semi against 7th placed Saints

Now, Souths (1) plays Newcastle (5) and Penrith (2) plays Wests (6).

Reckon the Bunnies would not be to happy with this system (and I believe it's a flaw in the system to be used in the NRL); surely the highest placed loser from week 1 should play the lowest placed winner from round 1.

Any opinions??

Regards,

I have heard that not alot a people are not happy with the draw and finals system. Clubs are contacting others clubs. Time will tell what will happen.

There are alot of flaws one is the draw, How can a team win 5 games and lose 4 not make the finals when other teams have had draw, a bye and 3 loses and 4 wins and sides with an easier draw. Thats a flaw straight away.

Finals system is something they need to look at too.

I hope the powers of be, look at all aspects of comp. If somehow they could bring an extra team into the Matts eg Melb or another CRL / the Reds.

magpie4ever

First Grade
I have heard that not alot a people are not happy with the draw and finals system. Clubs are contacting others clubs. Time will tell what will happen.

There are alot of flaws one is the draw, How can a team win 5 games and lose 4 not make the finals when other teams have had draw, a bye and 3 loses and 4 wins and sides with an easier draw. Thats a flaw straight away.

Finals system is something they need to look at too.

I hope the powers of be, look at all aspects of comp. If somehow they could bring an extra team into the Matts eg Melb or another CRL / the Reds.

Yeah, I can understand how the Coast feels in HM. But while they continue with a 16 team SG Ball comp the only suggestion I can put forward is maybe add another team - "maybe a president's side" - for young blokes you miss out on their district team. Eliminate the bye.

You can never predict the easy draw as the team's personnel change every year, but I suggest have a two sided draw - play 7 preliminary games against all teams in your side of the draw - then a 4 team semi series for each side of the draw (3 weekends) - then the 2 winners from each side of the draw play the grand final. 11 weeks all up, a reduction of 2 weeks from the current system. The reason I say this is under the current system some of these guys will not play for their club sides until around week 4 or 5 and that is not bloody fair on their clubs.

Regards,

magpie4ever

First Grade
For what it is worth (absolute nothing); my predictions for the HM finals.

Two absolute nailbiters.

The surprise packets (surprised me, anyway): Balmain to upset the power of Newcastle.

and

Parramatta (the packs to cancel each other out) and a bit of individual brillance to get Parra home.

Last edited:
SG Ball finals

Balmain beat souths 34-26 in the first grand final qualifier

And I've just been told the raiders beat the roosters 33-32 in extra time after trailing 26-4 at halftime

Rocket

Juniors
Reports are that the Raider's field goal bounced off both posts before going over!

And hopefully it will knock any complacency out of them before the final.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Parra 14 Penrith 12. Parra's defence was awesome. Well done.

Canberra's comeback was sensational. The field goal did hit both posts!!!

Parra v Newcastle Matts GF.

magpie4ever

First Grade
For what it is worth (absolute nothing); my predictions for the HM finals.

Parramatta (the packs to cancel each other out) and a bit of individual brillance to get Parra home.

Picked it. I didn't see Newcastle 's win over Balmain but the Penrith - Parra match was a cracker.

Regards,

Last edited:

Scorcher

Juniors
Reports are that the Raider's field goal bounced off both posts before going over!

And hopefully it will knock any complacency out of them before the final.

The field goal by Anthony Milford hit the left upright then the right upright and almost hit the left upright again, freakish.

Great win by the Tigers over Souths, they will be a different team in the Grand Final to the one that lost badly to the Raiders 2 weeks ago.

stretcher

Juniors
The field goal by Anthony Milford hit the left upright then the right upright and almost hit the left upright again, freakish.

Great win by the Tigers over Souths, they will be a different team in the Grand Final to the one that lost badly to the Raiders 2 weeks ago.
Don't know what anyone else thinks but the parra v penrith game yesterday was the best Matt's game I've ever seen it had everything and as a panther fan it was especially good considering the amount of injuries to key players they had this year it was a great job by the players and the staff to finish where they did.

KAB

Juniors
The finals next week, Newcastle to beat Parra - by all reports the parra and penrith played there final. Newcastle are just getting a litttle tougher each week.

Canberra are still the team to beat in Ball they have the players. Milford is exceptional, but this will be cracker the Tigers have Moses. Great contest, My tip will be the Tigers if they all fire.

Go the Knights
Go the Tigers.

Go luck to the coaching staff and to the Boys of all teams next week.

gronkathon

First Grade
Tigers Matts side seemed to carry on their poor form at the start of this weeks game. Knights are a quality outfit though.

Across the day though all games wer of good quality and it is a credit to the junior rep system.

Scorcher

Juniors
BALMAIN TIGERS CHASING MORE SG BALL HISTORY
Story: Wayne Cousins. Photo: Liam Brundle

30/04/2012 5:51:00 PM

When talented five-eighth Mitchell Moses leads Balmain into the SG Ball Grand Final this Saturday, the Tigers will also be looking to secure some more history.
One of the NSWRL longest running junior competitions, Balmain have won the prestigious SG Ball Cup just once when the Graham Simmons coached Tigers lifted the trophy in 1982.
Balmain will play Canberra in the SG Ball Grand Final at St Marys Stadium at 3pm on Saturday, May 5. The Tigers are coached by Andrew Webster with Moses (pictured) the captain.

According to Balmain Tigers junior rugby league historian and life member Chris Karas, the Tigers pulled off a unique double in 1982 when they won the SG Ball and Jersey Flegg competitions.
On that day, the Tigers ‘flexed their muscles’ at the Sydney Sports Ground (now Allianz Stadium) to toss Cronulla 12-10 in the Flegg Cup and Newtown 25-16 in the SG Ball Cup.
Writing in his book ‘From Fraser to Farah’ - the history of the Balmain Junior Rugby League, Karas said it took 18 years of ‘blood, sweat and tears’ for the Tigers to convert their outstanding talent into an SG Ball championship.
“With outstanding prospects Paul Daley and skipper Glenn Stanton calling the shots, the Tigers gradually gained the upper hand to run out worthy winners,’’ Karas wrote.
“Daley and Stanton, two future first grade Tigers, showed their class as Balmain raced to a 25-8 lead.
“Darren Riley, Richard Quinn, Adrian La Cava, Todd Simmons and Richard Dorahy also impressed for Balmain.
“The Tigers were coached by former lower grade forward Graham Simmons. Daley, a talented centre, and Stanton, a smart five-eighth, were two of the best juniors that Balmain produced.”
Ironically, current Balmain SG Ball full-back Mason Farrell is the son of Simon Farrell, who played centre in the 1982 grand final win after playing most of the season at full-back.
1982 Balmain SG Ball side
Dale Schumack, Robert Angelone, Todd Simmons, Adrian La Cava, Frank Crotty, Andrew Karas, Michael Winter, Craig Woods, Craig Barnett, Nick La Rosa, Vince Opedisano, Nick Stevanovic, Patrick Carroll, Paul Daley, Richard Dorahy, Simon Farrell, Glenn Stanton (captain), Richard Quinn, Darren Riley, John Rollason; officials: Graham Simmons (coach), Bill Brown (secretary), John Newey (manager), David Nissen (trainer), Col Hallinan (trainer), Bob Carroll (assistant secretary), Bernard Carroll (ball boy), Wayne O’Brien (ball boy).

Latest posts