What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New Sideline Eye.

TheRam

Coach
I'd like to make an observation on the contribution Hayden Knowles made at the start of last Monday Night's Football presentation and his insight into what goes on during the warm up. It got me thinking that this guy would make a fantastic sideline eye. His understanding of what is going on with the fatigue and fitness of the players, plus his natural exuberance and cantor would be a real revelation for the commentary team.

It seemed to me that he would really add to our understanding of the action on the field at any given time and not just rollout the typical nothing statements made most of the time by the brain dead ex-footy players that are normally given this duty. He was very well spoken which would on its own be a huge improvement for most games.

Did anyone else see him and like to make a comment?

grouch

First Grade
I enjoyed the interview and found his perspective insightful and engaging. However I think as a permanent sideline commentator it would become one-dimensional and repetitive. As a one-off or even an occasionally recurring guest interviewee it works

TheRam

Coach
Surely he couldn't be as one dimensional as most that do it now. Besides he could give us an insight into different players stress thresholds and all the tit bits about players that only trainers would really know pertinent to what they are doing on the field at that time, or point out players that do this or that under this condition or that scenario.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
The worst sideline eye is Gasnier.

Sounds like Kostya Tszyu when he first got here from Russia.

He goes OK on a panel, but when he's under the pump on the sideline, he's woeful.

Dumb as dog shit.

Fire

First Grade
Saw the interview and really enjoyed what he had to say.

Agree he would make a great sideline commentator.

I wonder if any NRL clubs employ the guy, and if so which ones.

gUt

Coach
To me the interview highlighted the difference in quality between Fox and 9 although it has to be acknowledged that Fox has a lot more time to slot stuff like this into the broadcast.

nrlnrl

First Grade
To me the interview highlighted the difference in quality between Fox and 9 although it has to be acknowledged that Fox has a lot more time to slot stuff like this into the broadcast.

maybe Channel 9 could get him to do ads during the 2nd Friday night game

Would be good, also, as someone said in another thread, we need more coaches on NRL Panels as they add a lot more than current or ex players.

Latest posts