What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

US bid to poach State of Origin game from Victoria

perverse

Referee
I'm actually all for it. I think people are too precious about Origin. It is our biggest strength, our showcase event. As the old adage goes - put your best foot forward. I don't think we should be defeatist about growing the game. The ambition is large, but there are some big, wealthy names brewing on it... and to not explore any options with them would be insular, non-productive nonsense.

The WCC idea intrigues me even more. That format is certainly ripe for tweaking... I don't think they can f**k it up any worse than it already is.

Last edited:

perverse

Referee
It only needs to carve out a niche to be viable over there, the market is much larger than ours. It's stating the obvious, but some people need the obvious stated. It's not like we need to become as big as the NFL over there to make it worthwhile.

DC_fan

Coach
Seriously? I cant see Asia producing the kind of athletes to play RL mate. The US would be perfect

I have been pushing for the development of the game in Asia for sometime, especially China and Japan. It's our part of the world and we really need to start pushing the game in to that part of the world. In over 100 years of the game being played in this part of the world it really hasn't got that far out of Australia.

Danish

Referee
Imagine how many celebs would be there in freshly delivered LOL@50uff$ gear delivered from rusty.

I mean, thy wouldn't be seeing any souffs players in the game.... But they'd be there

Bronco Rob

Juniors
I'll be done with SOO if this happens.

The very narrow-minded vision that has been an impediment for the growth of League for years. If other markets want to tender for one game every series why not embrace this and we still have one home game for each state?

It's about time we put the betterment of the game before fan's selfishness.

NRL

Juniors
Don't like the origin idea. Plus they would need to pay a lot to make up for the decrease in TV broadcast revenue, since it would have to be played at a stupid time.

Don't hate the WCC part. One million dollars would help get the interest of clubs.

This.

mother rucker

Juniors
This is a PISS idea! State of O is Australian history. That would be like playing the NFL Super bowl in Sidney. The USA needs to have something of their own. Like I have said before, a AMNRL select side VS a USARL select side. Call it the CIVIL WAR and have it played in three different USA cities. Use the $1 mill to promote it and pay for costs. Internationally televise it. Why is this so hard to figure out?

DINGb@T

Juniors
I'm with those who don't like the Origin idea but like the WCC part.

Origin is Origin. It can survive a bit of stuffing around but not too much. While I'm all for the promotional aspects of holding the game down in Melbourne every now and then you've got to be careful not to over do it.

On the other hand I can't see a problem with the WCC idea. At worst one of the teams gets a big paycheck to make up for half arsed games. The games will still be on at a rediculous hour in a foreign country with underdone squads but there will be more games and it will be done at someone elses expense.

At best we promote League directly to one of the largest markets in America not to have their own gridiron team, the players get paid to 'see the world' a bit more, and we get a fair dinkum look at what the top teams (plural) in England have to offer.

As for the two extra teams I'd wait until the Storm vs America game. If the Yanks hold up under that sort of game have a Pacific All Star team and an American All Star team (AMNRL national squad). Gets the potential American and Hawaiian tv audience interested. Leave the Kiwis out of it as they're already in the NRL.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...series-challenge/story-fnca0von-1226361614665

Promoter also wants a rugby league World Series Challenge

by: Brent Read
May 21, 2012 12:00AM

BILL Tatham is serious, dead serious. He wants to take a State of Origin game to the US and is willing to pay whatever it takes. We're talking millions if necessary.

He also wants to revitalise the World Club Challenge by naming it the World Series Challenge, hosting it at Home Depot Stadium in Los Angeles _ the base for David Beckham's LA Galaxy _ with teams playing for $1 million.

Tatham has regenerated rugby union in America through his deal to host the world sevens. Now he's struck a partnership with the American Rugby League, which is led by former St George halfback David Niu.

He wants Origin and the WCC to help the sport secure the holy grail _ America.

"We have an opportunity, thanks to our partnership with USA Rugby League," Tatham told The Australian. "We have an opportunity to honour that and bring in the greatest competition we can. That's the goal.

"We're doing it in 2013. If we have the money, and we do, and we have the people . . . there is no excuse for not going for it. None."

Tatham, the founder of Grand Prix Sports, self-deprecatingly calls himself an ignorant American; but he clearly knows what he is talking about.

He is a former owner of NBA team the Utah Jazz and the Oklahoma Outlaws in the defunct USFL. His company has assembled a board of eminent American businesspeople with an intimate knowledge of the sporting landscape.

They've been involved in the Olympics and the NFL. They have dabbled in baseball and basketball. Now it's rugby league's turn, thanks to a serendipitous encounter while on a trip to Europe.

"I am staying at the Marriott," Tatham said. "I am watching the television. I am watching rugby league. I'm thinking that's bitchin'. I don't know what it is but I am digging it.

"I thought, if I like it, Americans will like it. I like rugby sevens, but if I was ever going to invest in anything in the traditional sense my money is on rugby league.

"Case closed, end of discussion. My heart was telling me to reach out to this game and make a deal, which we did.

"Once we sat down, it happened in two or three days. We can't fail. I like rugby, but man do I dig rugby league!

"There is a lot of work ahead of us but it's really easy to do if you have the right people.

"The challenge for us is to quickly negotiate and convince these guys that it really is going to be a first-class event.

"That's the job. I am going to be honest. I don't know much about the history. I just know they're great, great, great rugby league teams.

"Nobody in the world would be more grateful than me to be associated with their match played in the US."

The ARL Commission is currently weighing up where to play Origin next season.

Melbourne has made a strong bid to host games for the next five years, offering $12.5 million as a sweetener. In the short term, the World Club Challenge looks more likely for Grand Prix Sports.

Long-term, Origin could find its way back to the west coast of America -- the fourth game of the 1987 series was played in Los Angeles.

"What would I be smarter doing? Spending a few million to put on a State of Origin or $50 million to start a 16-team league," Tatham said.

"If the rugby league people in Australia would support it, we can do it. You have to remember this, I am not doing this to put on one tournament.

"I am not going to be happy with that.

"We're going to try to build rugby league in the US.

"Ultimately, get elite athletes off the street to come and play the game.

"We have athletes coming out of our ears over here. It has to be compelling, that's the thing.

"If it costs $5 million, what's that worth in the long term?

"In any case, that's totally doable. It's priceless to have that here.

"We want to bring in the best in the world and make it worth their while financially."