What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gordon To Leave…

HankScorpio

Juniors
Not taking anything away from the Sharkies, but we looked pretty promising back in 2010.

I think the main factors at play are the salary cap as well as his clear desire to play at 1 and not being given that chance. The fact that Cronulla are going well at the moment is just icing on the cake.

age.s

First Grade
Mate i dont wanna be too negative here but look at it rationally, he lives in the shire, loves the beach, Sharkies are going great guns and can probably offer more then we can.

Or he can stay on the wing at Penrith, who at this point looks like a basket case who arent gonna be ready for a proper shot at a grand final until about the time Micks career will be winding down.

If he stay he must really love the place.

He's a great player, probably the best player we've had in recent years. He's been my favorite Panther in what has been a horrible time for the club. I'll be absolutely devastated to see him go. There's simply no argument that will make me happy about it.

The shit about him wanting a chance at 1 makes it all the more difficult to swallow. He's a miles better player than Coote and should have been given that chance here. His run at FB in 2010 was absolutely phenominal, comparable to Hayne at his best but done consistently and without all the ego bullshit. I've said it before, but I'd have a fit Gordon as a complete package over any FB in the game bar Slater and a 2008 model Brett Stewart. FMD we're just meekly giving that up!

That the Sharkies have room under the cap for him when we're fielding a bunch of absolute nuffies and completely cramped for room makes me angry beyond comprehension. Absolutely f**king disgraceful are the only words for it.

betcats

Referee
He's a great player, probably the best player we've had in recent years. He's been my favorite Panther in what has been a horrible time for the club. I'll be absolutely devastated to see him go. There's simply no argument that will make me happy about it.

The shit about him wanting a chance at 1 makes it all the more difficult to swallow. He's a miles better player than Coote and should have been given that chance here. His run at FB in 2010 was absolutely phenominal, comparable to Hayne at his best but done consistently and without all the ego bullshit. I've said it before, but I'd have a fit Gordon as a complete package over any FB in the game bar Slater and a 2008 model Brett Stewart. FMD we're just meekly giving that up!

That the Sharkies have room under the cap for him when we're fielding a bunch of absolute nuffies and completely cramped for room makes me angry beyond comprehension. Absolutely f**king disgraceful are the only words for it.

Mate im not trying to make you feel better about it, im just saying, be prepared for him to go cause imo i cannot see much reason for him to stay, obviously thats coming from an outsider looking in and there is plenty im not privvy too.

age.s

First Grade
Mate im not trying to make you feel better about it, im just saying, be prepared for him to go cause imo i cannot see much reason for him to stay, obviously thats coming from an outsider looking in and there is plenty im not privvy too.

Yeah fair enough.

I'm simply incredibly filthy about it.

Special K

Coach
Where would Gardner play? His the same age as Coote. He might have the same problem atleast he has mates & is comfortable at Penrith.
Gordon as a centre, Gards at FB or Gards will miss out as his form has been patchy at best since he burst onto the scene in 2010.

Also we've got a bucket load of cap room with Tupou and contracts we over paid in 2009 to get people to help us off the bottom coming off contract. Also we don't operate at the cap and given the NRL is going to start paying the grants to match the cap we are able to actually go to a full cap. Plus we have had room as we could not sign players. Look at who we've brought in - Gibbs, Fifita, Smith, Carney and De Gois were all cut by their teams who in some cases pay part of their salary for them to be Sharks.

Big Mick

Referee
From my understanding u are at the cap this year.

The guys that were brought in took you to the cap.

If anything it is at most $200k under.

HankScorpio

Juniors

Sums up my feelings perfectly.

Where would Gardner play? His the same age as Coote. He might have the same problem atleast he has mates & is comfortable at Penrith.

Wade's there, so that'll help.

The only thing that's comforting me right now is the fact that we managed to re-sign Petero a few years back and he had every reason to leave. Small glimmer of hope, but I'll take it :)

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
Gordon as a centre, Gards at FB or Gards will miss out as his form has been patchy at best since he burst onto the scene in 2010.

I don't think he wants to play centre. If he did he would stay he can play centre here. That's why I think he will stay.Age. Atleast if he goes we put in a good offer unlike the old days. It will free up 300k & help us add a few players to the squad.

It will be a bastard but if Mansour. Satini etc come in rather then Tighe & Simmons we won't be too bad. I would rather him stay though.

Fast Eddie

First Grade
We'll sign him and play him at fullback in the Vulcans just to rattle Cleary and Panthers fans.

cb4

First Grade
From my understanding u are at the cap this year.

The guys that were brought in took you to the cap.

If anything it is at most $200k under.

We were 200k under the cap before Kelly got punted.

I dont know if we will use that for any mid-season signings, so it has no bearing for next year.

With Toops and Morris off contract, the 2 guys who were earning the most of our off contract players, we have money to spend on a few quality players.

Big Mick

Referee
Keep in mind you'll have upgraded guys...and Gibbs, Fifita etc will all be under your salary cap from next year w/Tigers not paying anything from next year.

Spitty

Juniors
Where is it reported that he lives in 'The Shire'?

I see him at Glenmore Park shops regularly and have seen him driving around Glenmore Park often. And anyone who knows Glenmore Park, knows that you don't just drive through there.

On his contract. It's irresponsible to pay that much money to a guy and park him on the wing where he has minimal impact on the team or even at right centre where he's unproven. We've got enough salary cap pain without having 20% of it eaten up at left centre and right wing. And Big Mick's correctly stated that most players have clauses in there contract that it goes up when the salary cap goes up, so there is no extra room in any clubs cap for extra players, just extra money for the current players.

He deserves to play fullback and could get a run at most NRL clubs ahead of the current fullback. He's only got a few years left and deserves to be able to maximise his earning potential.

It's very sad for us, makes our 2013 top 17 look very weak and puts us at a big risk of repeating this years effort. But the coins currently in the air as to whether Moylan, Satini etc can become FG players, we just have to hope it lands our way. I've seen many players who've ripped up lower grades more than Moylan and Satini who just couldn't make it in the top grade. It's a toss of the coin and nothing more, if it lands our way anything could happen, if it doesn't... well we'll have more cutlery to make cakes with.

I don't think Cronulla would have any problem fitting him in. Yes, Gibbs and Fafita will cost them a bit more and Carney will likely get an upgrade. But Best and Tupou are off contract, who are both reportedly on big deals. You couldn't imagine Cronulla would re-sign either of them on anything near what they're currently on, if they re-sign them at all.

betcats

Referee
Where is it reported that he lives in 'The Shire'?

I see him at Glenmore Park shops regularly and have seen him driving around Glenmore Park often. And anyone who knows Glenmore Park, knows that you don't just drive through there.

On his contract. It's irresponsible to pay that much money to a guy and park him on the wing where he has minimal impact on the team or even at right centre where he's unproven. We've got enough salary cap pain without having 20% of it eaten up at left centre and right wing. And Big Mick's correctly stated that most players have clauses in there contract that it goes up when the salary cap goes up, so there is no extra room in any clubs cap for extra players, just extra money for the current players.

He deserves to play fullback and could get a run at most NRL clubs ahead of the current fullback. He's only got a few years left and deserves to be able to maximise his earning potential.

It's very sad for us, makes our 2013 top 17 look very weak and puts us at a big risk of repeating this years effort. But the coins currently in the air as to whether Moylan, Satini etc can become FG players, we just have to hope it lands our way. I've seen many players who've ripped up lower grades more than Moylan and Satini who just couldn't make it in the top grade. It's a toss of the coin and nothing more, if it lands our way anything could happen, if it doesn't... well we'll have more cutlery to make cakes with.

I don't think Cronulla would have any problem fitting him in. Yes, Gibbs and Fafita will cost them a bit more and Carney will likely get an upgrade. But Best and Tupou are off contract, who are both reportedly on big deals. You couldn't imagine Cronulla would re-sign either of them on anything near what they're currently on, if they re-sign them at all.

I was fairly sure he lived in the shire, maybe im wrong.

penrithmob 65

Juniors
Gordon was also at panthers with nigel plum watching the monday night game against newcastle.you would think he would not travel from the shire to penrith just to watch a game

Latest posts