What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anthony Griffin

grouch

First Grade
Was a rookie coach, appointed by Brisbane last year Certainly not a big name import. Yet, has achieved good results, and if not for Lockyer's injury may have gone further last season. So it is possible for "inexperienced", unknown coaches to receive an opportunity and succeed in the top grade.
Brisbane have some geographical advantages, but his formula for success going forward is simple - they have an outstanding group of young players and he has had something to do with almost all of them on their way up. The same as Steve Price with our group of young players. The likes of Merrin, King and Rein have already stated that the coach is the reason they chose to re-sign with the club.

Discuss

Elias1983

Coach
I'm not giving up on Price yet.

He has the potential because unlike brown at least he has done a decent apprenticeship, something like 10 years or something.

But if he does not show a significant improvement by this time next year then he has got to go.

Griffin has shown good results already that he can build on. That's the difference so far, the team has so far responded to Griffin.

Under Price the team has not responded as quickly but you never know with 15 rounds to go.

And you simply cannot ignore the "Geographical advantage", they have a whole f**king state to choose from with two other teams. Massive advantage.

Last edited:

Big Pete

Referee
How long has Price been coaching for and has he coached outside of the Dragons?

Hook's been around for years & has enough to experience to know what is & isn't successful. His record has benefited from taking over at an opportune time where all the juniors were seasoned & conditioned first graders. That isn't to take away from Griffin because I think he's a great coach but it'd be unfair to compare him to Price.

The more appropriate comparison would be between Price & Henjak and how they handled coaching a side post-Bennett. It's too soon to make any calls on Price but at least your club isn't getting spanked by 40 in 5 consecutive weeks.

Mr Red

First Grade
Griffin has also been smart and not tried to fix what isnt broken, the attacking formation post lockyer and even post Bennett is very similar to what has been succesfull when these guys were around, all he has done is tweak a few areas.

add to that player retention of every single key player they have wanted to keep, and throw in some experience to mentor the younger guys like the re-signing of Petero and Ben Hannant and you can see why he is successful..

Price seems to have come in and deliberately tried to change a successful formula in order to prove he is not a Bennett clone... eg by swapping Hornby and Soward to different sides of the ruck in attack and defence.... this has clearly been a monumental failure with both players form way down on previous seasons.
Price needs to understand its not a failure if you copy the strategy of another coach if it is what will gurantee the most success for the club..

also so far zero strategy in regards to player recruitment from Price, and a failure to address out of form player issues such as Vidot..

Elias1983

Coach

Hook's been around for years & has enough to experience to know what is & isn't successful. His record has benefited from taking over at an opportune time where all the juniors were seasoned & conditioned first graders. That isn't to take away from Griffin because I think he's a great coach but it'd be unfair to compare him to Price.

The more appropriate comparison would be between Price & Henjak and how they handled coaching a side post-Bennett. It's too soon to make any calls on Price but at least your club isn't getting spanked by 40 in 5 consecutive weeks.

No I don't Price has coached outside the dragons.

You can't even compare Price to Henjak because the calibre of players when henjak took over is very different from what Price currently has.

Minh

First Grade

Good call Big Pete and like you said Griffin is a good coach, I think Price is pretty good but too early to call.

Fire

First Grade
Price deserves to see out his two years, and even on current form I'll support him for those two years.

Hook and Price are very deifferent cases in my opinion. Hook is older and took the current Broncos to an NYC Premiership.

However, he is a good example of why we should stick by Price, as Price may replicate his achievements.

Big Pete

Referee
More confused than anything mate.

Nobody really knows who's backing up tonight. Hannant & Gillett are confirmed but there's plenty of talk about Smith being rested due to that virus he had before Origin 1.

As it stands, I reckon Melbourne will have too much class out-wide & will out-score Brisbane in a tight game. Melbourne 1-12.

Fire

First Grade
Runners Up actually

Poor goal kicking will be the death of me!

Sorry, my mistake. I always forget if it was Canberra or you who won (I just remeber you two were in it).

I've got a tonne of respect for what the Broncos have done over the past three-four years and how the majority of those boys from that NYC have stuck together.

You guys know how to build a footy team, that's for sure.

dougieswim

Juniors
Griffin is/was actually very well known in league circles, obviously particularly in Qld. He had been groomed for the job and had the Bronco's 20's with most of the current players plus being a coach in the strong Brisbane coach.

Henjak was always going to be on a hiding to nothing when he took over but to have Lockyer lose face with you, then you have some big problems.

Price is going to be always regarded the same as Henjak if he doesn't achieve instant success. He has been around coaching minor grade teams for a number of years but it was a bold move to take on a club that has prob the highest expectation of their coaches and expect results (and so we should!!). Give him some time cos he is not totally to blame. The players can't forget everything Bennett taught them in 10 games and i don't think he has added too much in attack yet.

Confidence is down and they just have to find a way out of it. I would be looking at the top of the tree before looking at the bottom or middle IMO

64 Dragon

Coach
Confidence is down and they just have to find a way out of it. I would be looking at the top of the tree before looking at the bottom or middle IMO

We started well against the Bunnies, so surely they can do it again and keep going. The errors just seemed to creep in the longer we played. Can't understand it.

Last couple of years if we were 12-0 up we usually wouldn't lose. I did say usually!

Mr Fourex

Bench
Was a rookie coach, appointed by Brisbane last year Certainly not a big name import. Yet, has achieved good results, and if not for Lockyer's injury may have gone further last season. So it is possible for "inexperienced", unknown coaches to receive an opportunity and succeed in the top grade.
Brisbane have some geographical advantages, but his formula for success going forward is simple - they have an outstanding group of young players and he has had something to do with almost all of them on their way up. The same as Steve Price with our group of young players. The likes of Merrin, King and Rein have already stated that the coach is the reason they chose to re-sign with the club.

Discuss

:roll: .........looking to steal our new coach now, since our old coach walked out on you?

Bring back choc

Juniors
Is that the only reason?

Not the only reason. Griffin obviously has done more in his as a coach, the Brisbane culture is completely different to ours. Theirs is and always will be rock solid. And to an extent players want to play for the broncos regardless of the coach.

My major issue is that we had a young coach. Didn't work. We hired an experienced coach. The best coach. We then won. Now we have gone back to what didn't work. It's all well and good to say an experienced coach would just come in and change everything ... But when we lose all our top line players we are a completely different club anyway.

Anyway...

watatank

Coach

He's been coaching for around ten years in various roles in the lower grades with success. Hasn't coached outside the Dragons.

Latest posts