What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lewis upset to be stripped of captaincy

LeagueLegend

Juniors
I agree, you've got a guy who bleeds for the club, has the most respect of all of his fellow players, is pretty much the only the guy who can now be consistently called on for rep duty but because he is called on for rep duty the club decides to knock him down a few levels.

It seems the contest for who is bigger than the club is a 2 horse race between Gould and Cleary. Without Lewis the Panthers have very little to cheer about this year. He's the only guy you can rely on the give it all he has.

If the club was performing well enough to warrant this decision then I might be able to cop it somewhat, but guess what.... they're not. They continue to founder low on the table despite what cultural, community, coaching or other changes Gus and Cleary have instigated. Greta, we are going well in the lower grades, they are the only ones who ever do well, but no on remembers you for a reserve grade win or an under 20's win. We might be waiting 4 years for those player to evolve into first grade and chances are by then we'll still be no better off.

Furthermore, it takes some balls to come out and say that you and your teammates are not being told what is happening at the club. This is different to being consulted on decisions like players in the past have asked for. But to have Jennings say he doesn't know why he was dropped and now Lewis coming out saying that the team doesn't understand what is happening at the club, there is a lack of communication somewhere that needs to be fixed if we are ever to have a cohesive team that can consistently play week in week out under any coach - we haven't seen that under Cleary, Elliott and Lang only showed us a bit despite claiming a GF during his tenure.

Last edited:
Disgraceful decision.

As if the club wasn't struggling enough they go and make a bonehead move like this ?!

The club needs unity ATM , not indecision over who the captain should be.

franklin2323

Immortal
I can see some merit in it. Why we couldn't have 2 Captains is beyond me. I can't help but feel messages aren't passed on. How Cleary couldn't know Jennings was injured the Storm game is beyond me.

Aragorn

First Grade
isnt it obvious? theres a power struggle going on between the new coach and the "established" players.

Not smart to bite the hand that feeds - look where Jenning (reserve grade), and Lewis (stripped of captaincy) ended up....

franklin2323

Immortal
I expected tension always is with a new coach. It has been handled poorly. Lewis should of been told privately in the coach's office or something. Very strange that he would go to the press before speaking to him.

chrisD

Coach
The "senior players group" went into bat for Elliott, the old way was shit, the way the players know was shit, I'm still giving Cleary the B.O.D.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
That was then, this is now. Things started out quite good but they have been let slide recently - whether that's on the part of frustration from either Gould or Cleary or frustration from the players who expected more.

franklin2323

Immortal
The "senior players group" went into bat for Elliott, the old way was shit, the way the players know was shit, I'm still giving Cleary the B.O.D.

Yeah. Like I said on the main board. The next 8 weeks will define our season some very winnable games to come. If the person that knows them best thinks they need a fulltime captain. Then I am fine with it. It's no different then other teams will do over this period we have just named our new captain

maple_69

Bench
I trust that Cleary knows what he is doing but it doesn't sit right with me.
In saying that I do tend to think Lewis has not shown his best form as captain, and played very well yesterday, so perhaps a master stroke.

We've got Parra, Gold Coast and the Warriors after the bye. All winnable games if we play with the same attitude and commitment as we have for the past 3 weeks. 10 points on the trot could really give us some momentum to grab a respectable place on the ladder and build the confidence of the young guys for next year.

BOMAR

Juniors
The way the whole thing has been handled is a disgrace. They keep saying how much respect they have of Lewis as a player but not a captain, but they have shown him no respect.:x As for the tight knit senior players group, why didnt KK turn down the captaincy, in support of his team mate and captain. As they say friends like this who needs enemies. So far we have won 1 and lost 1, too early to tell if it has been a good move or not.

I am just wondering with the way this and the Jennings thing has been handled, who would want to come and sign to play here when they treat their marquee players this way.

abpanther

Staff member
I agree with the move, to me Lewis is a great player but not a captain.

Not too happy with how it was done though

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Well if you think you captain needs improving, you try to improve him first, perhaps he just needs direction.

Just poor all round.

Big Mick

Referee
You guys are seriously taking that Article as fact?

I'm sorry....but does that thing have any quotes?

It is all rumour and opinion based.

murraymob

First Grade
i have no problems with the decission our season was going pear shaped .Something had to happen to jolt the boys into action.A captain is nothing more than a person with a letter beside his name a leader is what we neened and Lewis delived his best game all year on the weekend

Cleary has coped plenty but after sevearal bad years at penrith its good to see a coach take charge and make the hard dessisions

darkbloom

Juniors
I wonder if someone could point me to a source of news that I can trust.

Tell who should I believe or trust and why?

Gould? Cleary? Lewis? Jennings? Journalists? Forum posters?

Faaaaark!!