What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Panthers in crisis.

BunniesMan

Immortal
From that fox article:
Luke Lewis has labelled Ivan Cleary's decision to strip him of the Penrith captaincy as a "kick in the guts" and called on the NRL club to clarify Michael Jennings' future.
"I'm not happy with the decision, but I love the boys and the club to death and that's all I'm thinking of," he said.
"I could have handled it. He (Cleary) just said that's the way he wants to roll.''
"I will go into bat for Michael Jennings a million times over.
"I don't want him to leave, he is one of my mates and always will be and if he needs me to go down fighting with him I will."
This certainly isn't "no big deal". Cleary has offended his only 2 rep players, his 2 best players. This isn't going away.

Last edited:

Hooch

Juniors
Did anyone hear Gus on the icebath?

I missed it, they said he was going to offer an explanation. It'd probably be 99% bullshit but I'd be curious as to why on earth they feel they have to clip Lewis' wings in this manner.

They've probably just lost the plot.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
lol @ Ivan.

Respect my authoritar.

Btw, Iafeta, Cleary held back Locke, he will be kiwi great, should be futher along. Not sure what impressed you.

Do not rate him.

And he continues to show me why.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Yep I'm certainly not saying he's as bad as the absolute worst, Furner/Kearney/Cartwright. But he's certainly not at the upper end where a lot of people seem to have him.

Aragorn

First Grade
Yep I'm certainly not saying he's as bad as the absolute worst, Furner/Kearney/Cartwright. But he's certainly not at the upper end where a lot of people seem to have him.

mate, cleary is what? in his early 40's? if so, he's done a pretty fine job at coaching for someone his age and will only get better....

Hooch

Juniors

Pretty gutless interview. I spose Gus would've just spat it anyway.

They had problems with player power when Petero was there, and are probably still trying to knock it on the head, but you would've thought they could get Lewis on board without humiliating him by taking the captaincy away mid-season.

Typical Gus bullshit.

Gotta love Gus saying the win justified the decision. Kevin Kingston, one of the Panthers greats hey Gus? Ya knob.

Last edited:

Bretto

Bench
I heard the whole interview with Gould on the Icebath, and the interview they did with Luke Lewis, too. Gould basically said he left the whole football side of things up to Ivan Cleary. Lewis said it was a "kick in the guts", but he just wanted what was best for the team.

Gould did speak at length though, about the fact that Ivan Cleary has certain expectations of players and their attitudes, and if they don't fit in with the culture that he's trying to promote there, well then that's stiff shit for everyone else.

If you were a cynic reading between the lines you would say that a few players might be looking for new clubs fairly soon.

franklin2323

Immortal
That's gus covering his ass. You can not doubt Lewis attitude. Doesn't drink, doesn't go out. A cleanskin.

The best way to handle would of been. Ring Lewis say to him can you come 30mins early to training & speak to him privately. We could of had co captains for the next few weeks.

Communication problems all round Jennings is injured in warmups. The coach cracks it because Jennings plays. Why an assistant or the trainer didn't say he's not fit don't play him.

I understand to reasons behind it. Just poorly handled.

Caged Panther

First Grade
That's gus covering his ass. You can not doubt Lewis attitude. Doesn't drink, doesn't go out. A cleanskin.

The best way to handle would of been. Ring Lewis say to him can you come 30mins early to training & speak to him privately. We could of had co captains for the next few weeks.

Communication problems all round Jennings is injured in warmups. The coach cracks it because Jennings plays. Why an assistant or the trainer didn't say he's not fit don't play him.

I understand to reasons behind it. Just poorly handled.

From what I understood the only communication problems re Jennings was with Jennings himself. Walked off the training paddock without bother to tell anyone why.

While things have been handled a little poorly it's pretty clear the players have had too much say at Penrith for a while FFS it's why we had to put up with Elliott for three years longer than we should have.

However Ivan is ultimately rated as a coach he sure as hell a lot better than Elliott.

gronkathon

First Grade
Who gives a rats arse if jennings is your mate Luke?

This is professionals sport and Jennings chews up more cap space then some genuine stars who have major game influence around other clubs.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Jennings is paid as much as Thurston, GI, Slater and Smith.

But whose fault is that? Noone is paying him that much if he leaves your mob so either you're stuck with him for 3 years or however long the contract has left, or you'll be paying 50% or more of wages for a player that plays for a rival club.

P.S. We'll take him for 200k a year. You pay the other 400-500k.

franklin2323

Immortal
From what I understood the only communication problems re Jennings was with Jennings himself. Walked off the training paddock without bother to tell anyone why.

So why was he picked for the Newcastle & Storm game?? It seems strange. He plays the game after skipping training. Goes off injured. tries to play 5 days later. Hurts himself in warmup. Plays shit. So Ivan decides he missed training 2 weeks ago. So I will punish him now.

franklin2323

Immortal
This is professionals sport and Jennings chews up more cap space then some genuine stars who have major game influence around other clubs.

That's not any players fault. It's that d!ckhead Leary. There's ways to fix it yet Gus just whinges.

Michael Gordon was commentating on Fox yesterday. We could of sorted it out as a 3rd party arrangement. Then had less to pay.

Jennings should be on the books for $400k. The rest should be 3rd party. He wouldn't be a d!ck off the field as the 3rd party can cancel

gronkathon

First Grade
Leary is no doubt the cause of all the issues.

I think he folded to pressure from board members with no idea about cap management and it is also pretty clear that under Leary the players were very used to getting what they wanted.

Jennings is not worth $400k total contract. I am still gobsmacked how a centre who had shown glimpses of brilliance could be signed for such a huge amount