What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ARLC CEO Discussion

Who is your preferred NRL CEO?

• Total voters

royce10

Juniors
A CEO often represents it's product. By the NRL giving the job to a female this may attract sponsors and corporate dollars that wouldn't normally take an interest in the NRL.

'The game' (which isn't even a settled definition) often talks about itself heading in the right or wrong direction. The NRL may see placing a female in the role of CEO as a 'move in the right direction'.

I don't see why a 'move in the right direction' should preclude a certain gender. How do you promote equality without equal opportunity?

Fire

First Grade
I don't see why a 'move in the right direction' should preclude a certain gender. How do you promote equality without equal opportunity?

The NRL could spin it however they wanted. They could cover both bases. 1.) Equality by hiring a female. 2.) Equal opportunity by saying she is the most qualified person for the job.

royce10

Juniors
The NRL could spin it however they wanted. They could cover both bases. 1.) Equality by hiring a female. 2.) Equal opportunity by saying she is the most qualified person for the job.

She'd have to be very qualified and more. I remember watching the news one time, where Gallop is giving a statement to reporters at around 11 at night and then again at 6 in the morning regarding a certain controversy. I thought to myself, poor fella. He went through that a couple of times a year.

Fire

First Grade
She'd have to be very qualified and more. I remember watching the news one time, where Gallop is giving a statement to reporters at around 11 at night and then again at 6 in the morning regarding a certain controversy. I thought to myself, poor fella. He went through that a couple of times a year.

Yeah agreed it's a very demanding job. The woman would have experience to deal with the stress associated with being CEO. The media attention could be new to her perhaps, not many females come to mind who are prolific shot-callers (aside from politicians).

Kenny

Juniors
Peter V'landys from racing NSW. Look what he has done for them. Won the court case against the bookies is one thing amongst a lot of good things he has done there.

What is the point of appointing a CEO when Grant and members of the board pull the strings. Job description should read "Clayton's CEO -John Grant's Bittch"

Paullyboy

Coach
Anyone who honestly thinks the best possible person to run the sport of rugby league at this particular point in time is a female, is either trying too hard to make a point or is deluded about what type of personality this position requires.

I realise many will consider that view sexist and I'm fine with that. I know women are brilliant in some roles, but this is not one of them.

Last edited:

bender

Juniors
I dont thin this will be too popular around here, but i think John O Neil would be a really good choice.

Brutus

Referee
I dont thin this will be too popular around here, but i think John O Neil would be a really good choice.

You thought right.

We can't have people in there who can't stand rugby league. Plus O'Neill's track record of late has been ordinary. Rugby union is hardly going gangbusters.

joshreading

Staff member
The best person should get the job, if that happens to be a female, great.

One thing the game does need to do is better engage women. We have started going better (Women in League Rounds etc)

clarency

Juniors
Paully: Was about to say the same thing.

Men are more capable of being cold, calculated, and emotionless. In other words... business minded.

It's biologically harder for females to do this.

Would be good for the image of rugby league though.