What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

ESL Superthread

WireMan

Bench
Actually not too worried about the Leeds performance. Element of fortune for a couple of those runaway wire tries and its hard to defend when Briers has a kicking game like that. Superb in those conditions. Leeds run-in looks favourable and any turn of events that gets burrow back at 7 imo is a good thing. Expect us to be in the mix come September. I'd be more concerned if I was a huddersfield fan. Wonder if Brown's departure is having an effect there

i just put it down the average Hudds season. Start like a house on fire when all the other teams are warming up then get caught by them and over taken.

This year, same as the last year... Brown cannot manage his team for a season.

Not sure what was lucky about the Warrington tries. Sinfield is way to slow to play on the edge as Atkins ran past him twice. Rileys second try was a simple pass and no one bothered to tackle O'Brien running through. Then none of your team could be bothered to chase back.
Even for O'Briens second, it was a high kick into the area and your whole team watched O'Brien run past them to put it down.

Its was a lack of attitude from your team that cost you, not luck. Its something that has been noted over the last few weeks as well. If Leeds ship two tries quickly in a row the heads drop and you can rack up more points. So hit em hard, and watch them fold.

You will still be around come playoffs as you should scrape the 8. ;-)

LeedsStorm

Juniors
i just put it down the average Hudds season. Start like a house on fire when all the other teams are warming up then get caught by them and over taken.

This year, same as the last year... Brown cannot manage his team for a season.

Not sure what was lucky about the Warrington tries. Sinfield is way to slow to play on the edge as Atkins ran past him twice. Rileys second try was a simple pass and no one bothered to tackle O'Brien running through. Then none of your team could be bothered to chase back.
Even for O'Briens second, it was a high kick into the area and your whole team watched O'Brien run past them to put it down.

Its was a lack of attitude from your team that cost you, not luck. Its something that has been noted over the last few weeks as well. If Leeds ship two tries quickly in a row the heads drop and you can rack up more points. So hit em hard, and watch them fold.

You will still be around come playoffs as you should scrape the 8. ;-)

Will you be a bit less defensive if and when your club win a superleague title? I was merely suggesting wire had a favourable bounce of the ball for a couple of tries (the first try for example) not that wire were lucky to win. They were the better team and deserved the win. Press regarding a Leeds crisis is a bit OTT in my opinion. Wigan are on form and its no disgrace losing to saints and wire when you are out of form. I expect we'll finish 5-6th again.

You are absolutely right - Leeds attitude is terrible and sinfield is rubbish. Pick them in the clubcall ;-)

Shame the crowd was so low. Dreadful night admittedly

WireMan

Bench
Will you be a bit less defensive if and when your club win a superleague title? I was merely suggesting wire had a favourable bounce of the ball for a couple of tries (the first try for example) not that wire were lucky to win. They were the better team and deserved the win. Press regarding a Leeds crisis is a bit OTT in my opinion. Wigan are on form and its no disgrace losing to saints and wire when you are out of form. I expect we'll finish 5-6th again.

You are absolutely right - Leeds attitude is terrible and sinfield is rubbish. Pick them in the clubcall ;-)

Shame the crowd was so low. Dreadful night admittedly

Who is being defensive. There was little luck involved, the first try we shifted it quickly wide knowing your defence out wide is lacking, and Webb should of cleaned it up, but failed. I never said Sinfield is rubbish, i said he is to slow to defend so wide. See first try for proof. Anyone who thinks 30-0 in no time is down to luck must be McDermott.

On its own, the result isn't a problem, it happens. The fact that it has now happened twice in a row (three times recently when you throw the Saints game in), Leeds are in the bottom half of the table and Hethrington has said your team is rubbish and needs breaking up says it may not be OTT.

Warrington would chose Leeds every time in the club call. You were the worst club (lowest finishing team) in the left in the comp and as club call is stupid you always pick them. We gave you a few tries and played rubbish, only losing to a pen in the last seconds.

If we had picked a decent team do you think we would of done better? We lost to Leeds but would of magically beat Wigan?

Crowd was a bit low, still horrible weather effected it, especially the travelling support, which was the lowest i can remember from Leeds. Still, friday night, driving rain, going over the Pennines. I wouldn't of gone to Leeds so fair enough.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
All a matter of opinion my friend. I'd avoid any team that had won 4 grand finals in 6 years personally, but I agree the clubcall system is poor.

WireMan

Bench
All a matter of opinion my friend. I'd avoid any team that had won 4 grand finals in 6 years personally, but I agree the clubcall system is poor.

Yup it is.

Would you avoid the team that won the last grand final, battled with you at the top of the league all season, won the Challenge cup and happen to be one of your big local rivals.

or...

the team that came 5th, who you had stuffed home and away that season?

Not a difficult choice. We just messed it up, that's all.

Even if we took the clubcall thing seriously (which we didn't), we would of still gone for Leeds.

JasonE

Bench
yeah Leeds were pretty bad, only Burrow had any spark or anything for them. Didn't notice much of Ward but i it was hard to see through the rain!
He got a couple of nice offloads away and took the line on well, it was 30-0 when he came on and generally put his high profile team mates to shame with his overall display.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
I think the big difference for Leeds last Friday was Webb getting injured and Burrow moving as far away from 7 as possible.

Webb needs to gtfo of the club asap. Yes, he has been a great servant to the club but I cant be doing with his half arsed performances any more. He looks like he's given up now he knows he wont be here next year and its tarnishing what has been a very good Leeds career for him. We looked so much better with Hardaker at FB, which a lot think is his best position, and I thought he had a very good game.

Burrow is not a 7 either. I have said it for years and will continue to say it as long as he proves me right. The guy has a limited passing game, cant kick and his organising skills are terrible. The reason he goes well out of DH is that his main attribute is taking on a broken line with ball in hand and these days the best way to do that is with quick ball out of the ruck.

Stevie Ward looked very good too. Asked questions nearly every time he had the ball and made the right decisions. At 18 he looked very comfortable playing at that level and cant wait to see his development over the years. I would love to see him at 6 and McGuire at 7 for the rest of the season. That would be a dangerous and quick HB partnership.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Burrow is not a 7 either. I have said it for years and will continue to say it as long as he proves me right. The guy has a limited passing game, cant kick and his organising skills are terrible. QUOTE]

Wow. that's quite a damning assessment of one of the few players to consistently excel for Leeds.

Expect Ward will only get a look in if injuries force it. It's the number 9 spot that seems to be problematic for Leeds. Has been since Diskin.

Again, don't think there's too much to worry about. There's a series of winable games coming up - expect we'll end up around the same position as last year

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Wow. that's quite a damning assessment of one of the few players to consistently excel for Leeds.

Expect Ward will only get a look in if injuries force it. It's the number 9 spot that seems to be problematic for Leeds. Has been since Diskin.

Again, don't think there's too much to worry about. There's a series of winable games coming up - expect we'll end up around the same position as last year

Does he though? Or do his one or two pieces of brilliance every other game paper over the cracks in his ineptitude as a 7? He continuously takes the wrong option at 7 by killing overlaps and running into brick walls. Watch his passing from now on over 4 or 5 meters. It's slow and laboured and a lot of the time not even accurate. Like I said, his strength is beating broken line defenders but you don't get that any more unless they are trying to make 10 metres back after a tackle. There's no coincidence why he's looked better than ever over the last 12 months or so and it's down to the fact he doesn't have to pass far, he doesn't have to kick and he gets to take on a broken line in a retreating defence. He's the most average "star" half in the league. He's a damn good impact hooker though much like Craig Wing was.

I agree about our fixtures now though and expect us to win at least 7 of our next 8 league games. Hull being the only one that may be a tough one. It depends what type of team we have Monday too I suppose. I'd expect the majority to back up though, although if McGuires back I'd rest Sinfield and also give Peacock some time out and bring in Brad Singleton.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Does he though? Or do his one or two pieces of brilliance every other game paper over the cracks in his ineptitude as a 7? He continuously takes the wrong option at 7 by killing overlaps and running into brick walls. Watch his passing from now on over 4 or 5 meters. It's slow and laboured and a lot of the time not even accurate. Like I said, his strength is beating broken line defenders but you don't get that any more unless they are trying to make 10 metres back after a tackle. There's no coincidence why he's looked better than ever over the last 12 months or so and it's down to the fact he doesn't have to pass far, he doesn't have to kick and he gets to take on a broken line in a retreating defence. He's the most average "star" half in the league. He's a damn good impact hooker though much like Craig Wing was.

I agree about our fixtures now though and expect us to win at least 7 of our next 8 league games. Hull being the only one that may be a tough one. It depends what type of team we have Monday too I suppose. I'd expect the majority to back up though, although if McGuires back I'd rest Sinfield and also give Peacock some time out and bring in Brad Singleton.

Well, I see where you are coming from. I suspect Uncle Gary might also be concerned with the half back situation and be looking for a 6. Whether ward can slot in there at this stage, only time will tell

WireMan

Bench

Still your best player though and certainly the only one that has carried a threat against teams that have a decent D.

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
Leeds 44 Wakefield 40!!!!

WTAF! I'm really falling out of love with RL in the UK at the moment. I just get bored at games and would prefer to be doing something else.

I didn't actually go to the game tonight as I was working but jeez, with a scoreline like that it must have been a poor one to watch.

JasonE

Bench
Hey Johnny L O

Have you guys done anymore commentary on the Nines ? that was great what you did at Fev.

BODISGOD

Bench
Wigan unstoppable again, fack they're going to be impossible to stop. McClorum was f**king sick in contact all game.

Patorick

Staff member
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/18554519

Bradford Bulls go into administration and face 'extinction'

Bradford Bulls have entered administration and face "extinction" if a buyer is not found within 10 days.

The Bulls announced in March they needed £1m to stay afloat and are thought to owe over £600,000 now.

Joint-administrator Brendan Guilfoyle said: "We have just 10 working days to save the club from liquidation because there are no funds to carry on longer.

"If anyone is interested in buying the Bulls we need to hear from them, this club is on the brink of extinction."

He added: "The directors made every effort to try to save the club within the 14-day timescale issued by the courts, but the moratorium ended on Monday without any potential buyer coming forward."

The Bulls, who are currently 9th in the Super League table, are one of the most decorated sides in English rugby league.

They have been crowned Super League champions four times, with their last victory coming in 2005, and won the Challenge Cup on five occasions.

Administration means the Rugby Football League are now likely to hand them a points deduction and this would almost certainly scupper their hopes of making the play-offs for the first time since 2008.

Guilfoyle admitted that the meeting he had held with the club's staff prior to the public announcement about going into administration had seen tempers flare.

"The position of the staff is that their wages were paid for June but there may be redundancies," he told BBC Radio Leeds.

"The meeting I held with the staff was very difficult and the longer it went on the greater the feeling of animosity there was towards the directors who were there.

"There's a gneral feeling of unhappiness but I hope that they realise that by binding together they can demonstrate what a fantastic club this is."

Former acting chairman Stephen Coulby revealed the club was in a worse predicament when he came in in the middle of May than had been thought and this has put potential investors off.

"Within 24 hours of getting through the door we found out the situation was worse than we had previously assumed," he said

"We ultimately came to a figure of £1.2 million to keep the business running to next year.

"What people have been saying to us is why would they put in money now when they can't see the club benefiting to the extent that they want."

It is understood Bradford currently owe £196,000 in PAYE tax for May and June, plus an outstanding VAT bill of £250,000 from the sale of the lease of Odsal to the RFL, while the monthly wage bill is over £200,000.

On 14 June it was revealed that the club could be forced to go into administration after being served with a winding-up petition by Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs over unpaid tax.

Bradford shocked the rugby league world in March when they announced that they needed to raise £1m to stay afloat after an impending tax bill and a changed banking lending arrangement left them short of money.

Having asked supporters to pledge £100 and carrying out a number of fundraising activities they were able to raise their initial target of £500,000.

Attempts to pull in further investments were unsuccessful and chairman Peter Hood stepped down last month after a series of disagreements with majority shareholder Chris Caisley.

Director Stephen Coulby admitted the club were at serious risk of going into administration at the start of June.

The Bulls become the third Super League side in three seasons to enter administration after Yorkshire rivals Wakefield faced similar difficulties last year and Welsh outfit Crusaders in 2010.

Crusaders were then liquidated in 2011, with Widnes Vikings taking their place in Super League.

Bulls forward Ian Sibbit said on Twitter: "Super League wouldn't be the same without Bradford Bulls. Let's hope our great club can be saved."

Current Super League licences are not up for renewal again until 2014 so the Bulls' place in the elite of the sport should be safe, assuming they can sort out their financial problems.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Wigan unstoppable again, fack they're going to be impossible to stop. McClorum was f**king sick in contact all game.

Hardly a disaster for wigan tonight but both results there and at Salford show how hard it is to maintain that superb form both pie-eaters and wire were in.

Latest posts