What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Willow Cup 2012 :: Dragons V Souths :: Week 2

joshie

Live Update Team
jersey_dragons_1a.gif
-V-
jersey_rabbitohs_1.gif

Match Preview: The Dragons have been good all year and they come into the Willow cup full of steam. On top of the ladder, new coach, new captain, new ball boys, they are ready to start winning some competitions but standing in their way is the Rabbitohs. One of the most underrated, yet, dominant sides in the competition, this team is fresh of knocking out the defending Willow cup champions, the Ninjas, by just two points. They have championship quality, but will that be the Willow cup? Only time will tell.

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 3 -V- 3 (+ 4 reserves for Both sides)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Sunday 3rd June 2012 (6:00pm AEDT)
Full Time: Thursday 14th June 2012 (Fulltime is at midnight)
Referee: madunit
Venue: WIN Jubilee Oval
315523_1_M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The mighty St George Dragons have run onto the hallowed turf of Kogarah Jubilee Oval. Hutty, Tanner and Slippery have all done their stretching exercises and have proudly donned the Red V in readiness to take the field. The benchies cheer them on...

ST GEORGE DRAGONS
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Hutty1986
Tanner Ave
Slippery Morris

Reserves:
Willow (c)
Everlovin' Antichrist
Juanfarkall
Fire

Good luck one and all. :thumn

Hutty1986

Immortal
Hutty1986, for St George
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Hate Of Origin

"I know everybody likes to pat on the back whether you're enemies or foes in this modern day of ours, but the attitude we've got to have to beat Queensland is we must hate them. Now I don't care whether you like the word hate or you don't, if we don't hate them then forget about it."

These are the words of New South Wales Blues legend Tommy Raudonikis before a ball was kicked in anger in game one of the State Of Origin series. Now our old mate Tommy might not be a Rhodes scholar but geez, he hit the nail on the head with that cracker of a quote.

Six years, six looooong bloody years that trophy has been sitting up in Brisbane as the Maroons embarked on (and continue) the most stunning period of dominance ever seen in this unique interstate rivalry of ours.

Ever since Brett ‘can’t sleep, Gordie will eat me’ Hodgson literally threw away the deciding game of the 2006 series, NSW has been a passenger on a locomotive well and truly driven by the Cane Toads. Until the boys in blue start to hate their rivals and grind every inch of them into the dirt, the once outlandish predictions of “ten in a row” might just turn into reality.

Now before I go on, I’d better state the cold, hard facts. Queensland has assembled one of the all-time great Rugby League sides. All brilliance aside, the Maroons are tough, versatile and aren’t dead until the fat lady has been admitted into emergency for a shattered voice box. The day Andrew Johns retired, every Blues fan knew there were going to be lean times ahead.

Six (and a half) series later, this prediction has proven to be spot-on.

Now, back to Tommy, the nuggety little hard-nut who would bleed sky-blue if you were brave enough to cut him. Year after year he urges his brother-in-arms to stand up to the star-studded Queensland outfit and give it to them. Last year was a step in the right direction; when game three came along and the scores were locked at 1-1, there were hopes of a drought-breaking victory. Who gave a rat’s arse about raspy Locky’s farewell! Well, the local lads did and when the scoreboard read 24-blot after the opening half-hour. The trophy certainly wasn’t going anywhere.

Come 2012 and the slate was wiped clean; could the Blues grab a 1-nil lead for the first time since the ill-fated 2008 trilogy?

With the Toads leading 12-10, Greg Inglis went over for a try that was described anywhere from ‘blatantly illegal’ to ‘well within the rules.’ Regardless, the green light came up and as they have so often since 2006, NSW heads went down and didn’t come back up again. So now a game down again, and the situation is as dire as it has ever been; win or face the utter shame of losing seven straight. The gap in talent is nowhere near what it was and with a gutsy leader and a talented young backline, the Maroons are ultimately very beatable.

Both sides go to Sydney to wage war in front of a NSW crowd that has stood firm behind its embattled warriors. There will be over 80,000 fans on hand, the majority of which will be desperate for a hometown triumph. If that’s not passion, I don’t know what is.

So I say stuff history, it’s about time we bloody well listened to Tommy and started hating these blokes in the dirty-red jerseys. We’ve got a coach who does and his players need to follow suit. Mitchell Pearce needs to step up and stop looking like a kid waiting to shine Johnathon Thurston’s boots. Carney needs to stop asking for a photo with Cooper Cronk to put on his Facebook page and instead set up some tries and kick some goals.

They say that winners have parties and losers have meetings. In that case, New South Wales must have well and truly gone through their agendas by now.

Our rough-as-guts champion with the beery breath summed it up well.
“They've been a disgrace for six years, now they can do something about it.”

The stage is set, training sessions are ramping up as part two of the sport’s most magnificent saga gets underway next Wednesday night. I can’t wait.

Bring on the hate!

----------
734 words
----------

Sources:
* http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/...-1226361004142

*http://au.askmen.com/sports/fanatic/...edictions.html

----------------------------------

Tanner Ave

Juniors
Tanner Ave, St George
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Respect your elders!

What’s the fascination with youth?

When rugby league teams and fans talk about recruitment, one main consideration is this thing called potential - how certain young players can develop into a star. But if a club wants success they should target players 26 and over.

Here is why:

When signing a young player, you pay minimal money, or at least less in their first contract. This however only causes the problem of upgrading; when a player's contract is up you enter a bidding war for the “next big thing”. Upgrading contracts mean you then have to move your budget to fit the upgrade, usually at the expense of at least one other player (probably a player you once thought had potential). Year in and year out we see the effect of this on clubs.

Why bother signing a player to a short 2–3 year contract anyway? Just sign them long term to manageable amounts, you can budget better and if things don’t work out. Tell them they are free to negotiate with another club! They will move on and the cost will be minimal.

But players 26-years-old and above are mainly looking for stability, exploit this.

Let's face it, players rarely stick around one club anyway. Once a player changes clubs he is more likely to change again, money is as big a motivation as premierships these days. Sure there are a few players with the privilege of being one club players, percentage-wise however it's extremely low. For example, the Tony Williams situation is crazy - his third contract signed at his third club. How many more contracts / clubs does he have left in him?

Looking over the Rookie Of the Year (ROY) awards since 1993, shows only five players have played for one club - this includes Matt Gillett and Daly Cherry-Evans who are the most recent winners. The rest either have changed teams or codes altogether. Imagine investing in Micheal Vella (1999), Tasesa Lavea (2000), Matt Utai (2002) or Tim Smith (2005). Ouch! Think of all the potential clubs thought they had in the shape of these guys. What could be worse? Teams that have invested the same time and money in players that don’t even make one first grade appearance.

Why try to project player development anyway? Spending time nurturing teenagers, hoping and willing that a player will become the club's savior. When considering the time and effort spent on them, it doesn’t make sense. Seriously, just find a developed player! They may not have great projected talent, but at least you know what you're getting.

Kids between 19-22 just aren’t ready. Most (I do stress most, as there are always exceptions to the rule) young players need a few years in and out of first grade before they can understand the pace and strategy of the NRL. Who can be bothered with that? Just sign the older players who are ready to go. Think of Johnathan Thurston, I hope the Cowboys sent a thank you card to the Bulldogs.

Another massive issue is the Social issues youngster brings with them; I mean how many 26–30 year olds end up in a drunken fight? How many turn up to training hung-over? Caught up in a domestic violence situation? Most of them have a family; they are in that 'looking after the body' phase of life. Who wants to go through the headaches of all the social issues young players bring with their kit bag? Buy a player that has already got it out of their system. It just makes sense.

20 of the 34 current State of the Origin players are 26 or over. This reinforces that youth doesn’t mean everything when it comes to playing talent. With such a high demand on clubs to perform and perform now, why invest in a player that you may never see develop? Or even worse invest in a player that takes three or four years to develop, perhaps into the next Australian representative. But in the time it took to get them there, you have been sacked as coach as your performance was not up to scratch. Or the kid makes first grade but is offered a better deal somewhere else, and goes.

Unless there are some serious changes to the way clubs can accommodate their juniors and protect them from predator clubs that have already thought through the above scenarios, the alternatives seem limited.

What other options do we have, other than to respect the elders?

--------------------------
750 words

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Slippery Morris, St George
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

The truth behind Origin

When we were young aspiring rugby league players, we would select two captains and all other remaining players would stand in a line. The captains would then take turns in selecting who they wanted out of the line. Once the teams were sorted, it was away we go.

It’s a great system and one that has been used for years and no doubt will continue to be used. It really sucked being picked last but hey, it meant you had something to prove. Trust me I know how it feels.

Looks like the Origin selection process is the same, only difference is they inserted a rule where is if you picked the player first the other team can’t pick him again. I can see it now, the two groups of selectors go in a room and line up all these players and start picking one each. You do get the occasional player saying “Oh, I don’t want to play this game anymore, it’s not fair” so they call these players New Zealanders or English Internationals.

Apparently this is what happened a few years ago before the QLD dominance started. Qld had first pick and it went like this:-

QLD Selector: "We pick Jonathan Thurston."
Benji Marshall: "What, him? I’m better than him, that’s it I am not playing anymore, I am staying with New Zealand!"
NSW Selector: "Come back Benji, we can say you played all your junior footy with Balmain, stay please!"

*Door slams*

NSW Selector: "Damn it, OK lets pick a good winger first, we pick Jarryd Hayne."
Manu Vatuvei: "Him? Your kidding aren’t you, I’m out of here. Benji, wait up..."
QLD Selector: "Hey Manu, you wore Maroon undies when you were a kid, we can claim you as a Queenslander."

*Door slams*

QLD Selector: "OK, lets go for a good hooker, Cameron Smith."
Issac Luke: "Wait up bro, I’m coming as well..."
NSW Selector: "Souths junior… Ah, forget it."

*Door slams*

NSW Selector: "OK, we need a good quality forward, future leader, we want Gallen."
Sonny Bill Williams: "What? Stuff you NRL, I am going to Union!"
QLD Selector: "We want the best fullback in the game, give us Billy Slater."
Jarryd Hayne: "Wait up Benji and Manu I am coming with you, stuff this, I always hated Origin!"
NSW Selector: "Jarryd, we already picked you mate."
Jarryd Hayne: "Oh, that’s right, but Queensland are saying that Billy is a better fullback than me!"
NSW Selector: "Don’t worry mate, as long as I am selector, you will be our fullback."

Oh, so that is how certain selectors get sacked. Anyway...

QLD Selector: "We want Heighington. Wait... sorry, change that to Nate Myles."
Chris Heighington: "Thanks guys."
Nate Myles: "Hang on a second, didn’t you end up picking me?"
QLD Selector: "Yeah, we want Nate."
QLD Selector: "Next time Chris."

Unfortunately, there was no next time for Chris. NSW got confused with the rule and thought if you pick them and then change your mind it counts as a player being selected. Apparently that's happened to Nathan Blacklock a few years ago as well.

NSW Selector: "We want Scott Prince, Scotty were are you? Damn it! We'll pick someone else... Cooper Cronk? Cooper? Geez, where are these guys? Hey, mate do you know where Cooper is?"
The bloke at the door: "no idea mate."

Poor Scott was taking a dump in the toilet and missed his chance. Coincidence as Cooper Cronk also was in the toilet. Must be food poisoning.

QLD Selector: "Come on guys, for crying out loud, how long do you want? Just pick someone. Scotty played one game for us 10 years ago, so you can’t pick him anyway."
NSW Selector: "Alright, alright, we will get Peter Wallace."
Peter Wallace: "Sorry guys I have raptured my testicle again."
NSW Selector: "How about Terry Campese?"
Dave Furner: "I wish I could have him in my squad too but he is out injured again, pick someone else."
NSW Selector: "Geez, if only we could get someone reliable like Junior Pearce, hang on Mitchell can you ask your old man if he can play No.7 for us? If not, you can fill in."

And the rest is history guys.

Definitely not how the teams were selected for Origin but you never know. People are probably still wondering why is it called the State of Origin. Does the League even know? By the looks of things they'll even let a New Zealander play.

----------
750 words
----------

Monk

Referee
Long weekend traffic delayed our Bus, but the Bunnies finally arrive at the ground, ready to pull our socks up and have a dig.

jersey_rabbitohs_1.gif

Monk (c)
Bubbles
Non_Terminator

Bench:
Lambretta
Scott Gourley's Lovechild
byrne_rovelli_fan82
eloquentEEL

Bubbles

Juniors
Bubbles takes the field for Souths

D.O.O.L.

Well, this last week or so has reminded me, yet again, why Rugby League truly is the longest running and most entertaining of soap operas. Like most cookie-cutter soapies, the cast remains largely the same. The only difference being that those who take the stage in this production have allowed the relentless path of years to leave their tread marks of wear and tear upon their persons (see Gus Gould), instead of becoming walking talking caricatures of themselves beneath a shroud of plastic and silicone. So folks, grab your oversize block of chocolate, your fluffy slippers and snuggle into the couch for the latest instalment of your and my favourite daytime soap. Like sands through the hour glass, so are the Days of our League!

So, first up we have seen the ongoing feud between the two magnate powers of this drama, New South Wales Origin and Queensland Origin, ramp up with a flurry of verbal and written insults flung into the faces of bitter rivals, like so many Cosmopolitans. Ricky Stuart, like the ex-wife, spurned and bitter, unable to let go of the wrongs perpetrated against him, a trembling lower lip in juxtaposition to the cold steely gaze that meets the camera and holds... and holds... awkward! Cut to Mal Meninga, like the young new wife, dripping in the glittering spoils of victory, unable to relax and enjoy them, fear and insecurity lurking within the smug, haughty eyes that penetrate the lens and hold... and hold... seriously awkward!

Predictably, Origin Whinge-fest 2012 is well underway and has reached hitherto unseen heights worthy of the histrionic, over the top, face-slapping, drink flinging world of daytime soapies. And while having long-passed the point of cringe-worthy, it plays its own role in sucking the audience into the passion and drama that is building, ready to explode onto the paddock come Wednesday night.

Next, we have the biggest plot twist of them all, not just for the actual deed itself, but for the fact that it was kept under wraps, allowing it to fall upon the audience with shocking impact. David Gallop, powerful Patriarch in this drama for a decade, is pushed from his perch, plummeting to his demise. Forgetting his performance for now, his role has been pivotal in of itself, if only for providing the audience with a character they can love to hate, an intricate part of any self-respecting soap. And so we watched as this long-standing character perished before our eyes, an event eliciting vastly different reactions from the audience; some slack-mouthed and shocked into numbness, others erupting into spontaneous applause, a collective cheer that resounds still.

Many League fans, commentators and agenda-driven walking egos (see Gus Gould) saw Gallop as a puppet to a bigger master, News Limited, the original evil villain in our drama, ripe for some good old fashioned bitch-slapping. Others, including myself, while having no problem with the need for change, for fresh starts and fresh faces, took no delight in seeing a man who has steered our drama through some tumultuous twists and red herrings, be frog-marched to the precipice and then shoved unceremoniously to his end. Further, nor do I necessarily trust the newest member of the cast to thrust himself into the spotlight, John Grant, not to whittle his very own Pinocchio, without the rather too revealing nose that grows, a manufacturing flaw to surely be corrected.

Herein lies the heart of the problem and that is, for so many years the writers of this much beloved drama have been ruled by their own self-interest and agendas, often petty and often to the detriment of Rugby League, that it is difficult to trust in impartiality, an elusive concept in a script full of power struggles and deceit. And always there will be Phil Gould, like the ex-mistress, clinging to fading attributes just as he clings to the coattails of power, whispering in ears, lurking around boardrooms, his eyes oblivious to anyone but his own reflection as he stares the camera down and holds... and holds... awkwardly scary!

One thing is certain however, whoever claims the bragging rights in this year’s Origin series, whoever is installed as the next Patriarch, one thing can be guaranteed and that is that the game, the show that we love will continue to deliver the tears, the anguish, the laughter and the plot twists to keep us glued to our screens and clustered around the water cooler for many years to come.

Monk

Referee
Monk gallops onto the field, FOR SOUTHS!!!

749 Words according to the OWC.

Gareth the Fourth Musketeer

Once upon a time, the great nation of Melbournia was purged of all its silverware. Originally an honourable and proud City, known for its excellent financial system, it is now a shamed and scandalous ghost of its past self, forever trying to re-obtain its former glory. Melbournian townsfolk are afraid to walk the streets, as if cursed by their allegiances, and thus the streets lay bare and filled with the stench of regret and thievery. Most folk believe there is no way back for the once great Melbournia, that it would never be able to show its face around the leagues again, though some still have hope. Day after day, night after night, the Offices are hard at work developing a strategy to restore the City to its former glory.

Then, one day, respected leader Count de Bellamy reunited the once greatly feared trio of Cameron, William and Cooper. With them he beseeched the task of returning to the Dungeons of Waldronia and obtaining the Silverware which was thought to have been lost forever. The Leader of the trio, Cameron was known for his quick wit and excellent planning. He had been the Captain of the Melbournian forces for as long as time itself. William was known for his lightning fast reflexes and his composure under pressure. Last but not least there was Cooper who was stronger than an Ox and had the finest Swordsmanship the land had ever seen.

As the Three Musketeers rode out of the gates of Melbournia, their fine steeds galloping over the entanglement of shrubberies which surrounded the outskirts of the city, they came across a wandering soldier. The trio struck up a conversation with the stranger who introduced himself as Gareth, the three noticed immediately that his accent was foreign and quite thick on the tongue. Before they could ask him his business, the group was attacked by a rabid pack of drooling media bodies. These horrid beasts were known to overwhelm their foes and suck out any hint of life using their prickled tongues. Tired from their already tiresome ride out of the city, the trio was quickly overwhelmed by the monsters; Gareth however was able to take down the foes with his charming accent and quick feet. As the fighting dragged on the three musketeers were able to overpower the beasts with the help of Gareth’s skill set, and in thanks they asked him to travel with them, for they knew that with his help, they could overcome any obstacle.

One evening, news came to the four that Bluestown was attempting to invade Queensland and steal their riches. The King of Queensland Merlin Meninga had sent for the assistance of William, Cameron and Cooper in exchange for secrets revealing the location of the Dungeons of Waldronia. Unable to refuse, the three set off to aid Queensland’s efforts, while the newly crowned Fourth Musketeer – Gareth, returned to Melbournia to tell Count de Bellamy of the news.

While returning to Melbournia Gareth became aware that he was being tracked by a group of Tigers, and concluded that they would be on him within 80 minutes, he had no choice but to stand and fight, but without the other three by his side, he was not sure he could overcome their brutality. As he assumed, they pounced not an hour later and while he was able to fend them off with success, he was unable to land a blow as each Tiger was focussed on him. There was no one there to distract them long enough for him to strike. Unable to fight alone he succumbed to the Tigers strength and was wounded heavily in the fight.

When he finally returned to the gates of Melbounia he was treated of his battle wounds and met with Count de Bellamy. He recalled the many adventures he had partaken with the Musketeers and stated how he felt at home in Melbounia. Count de Bellamy sat there and listened to every word Gareth spoke and concluded that he still had a lot to learn about fighting, however his strength was honest and came from the heart. That night he honoured Gareth and officially proclaimed him a Musketeer, and from then on Gareth sported the colours of Melbournia, and set himself the task of bringing home the lost silverware. No Musketeer could take to this task alone, but together, they have the strength for such a gruelling mission. All for one, one for all!

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
**Fulltime has been extended til Thursday June 14th, midnight, due to the State of Origin**

Non Terminator stumbles in to deliver some awe-inspiring words...then pastes his article. 664 words.

To Be A Leader

I have to admit, I am not the biggest fan of State Of Origin. For the record, this has nothing to do with the fact that Queensland have completely dominated the best part of the last decade. Before Origin II of the 2012 series, I was adamant that any form of passion was long dead. It was just another game, and not even the highest quality game that it promotes itself to be.

It was painful to see during the week Paul Gallen (the man who should be leading the emotional charge for the New South Wales side) "umm" and "ahh" his way through describing past heroics from both camps and parading them as modern day passion. But this was it, this is the modern form of passion. I am too young to have witnessed some of the classic matches of the eighties and nineties where players would actually dare to give it everything they truly had to get their state over the line. Highlight reels are not enough to emulate the emotion, the raw passion.

But I must say, for the first time ever, I have faith in the future. The surprising thing is that it came from the person I least expected. New South Wales debutante Tim Grant was the man who has given me a newfound faith for the future of my enjoyment of the State Of Origin series.

Before kick-off the camera panned to Grant. All I could see on his face was pure hatred; pure bloody hatred. He didn't blink, he just stared them off intently. He was also the first player to take the ball up into the defence and not since Shane Webcke five or six years ago has an opening hit in an Origin match been made with such intent. Queensland legend Petero Civinoceva literally flew out of the way to make passage for a future star.

The New South Wales side is littered with some of the best talent of the game, some of the biggest names in modern day sport. It took a man who, let's face it, should be nothing but nervous, putting himself on the line to possibly start something great for his state. Maybe, with him there, it gives way for things to change. A losing side could easily become a winning side with just one action.

Take yourself back nine years to 2003. At the beginning of the season, the Penrith Panthers were nothing more than a laughing stock. The first two rounds of the season attested to this with the hapless club copping losses to Brisbane and Melbourne. Their third clash came against the Sydney Roosters, the best side in the world and reigning premiers. The first half produced nothing different for the luckless Panthers; the Roosters were completely dominant.

At half time the Panthers distantly walked into yet another quiet dressing room. But who would snap them out of this breakdown to single-handedly lead Penrith to the most surprising premiership victory in the history of the game?
John Lang - the veteran coach? No.
Craig Gower - the playmaker and captain? No.
Preston Campbell - the star signing and Dally M winner? No.

It was a man with just twenty-odd games worth of experience, Joel Clinton.

Within the dressing room a sombre note, Clinton flung his towel in disgust.. "I'm f*cking sick of losing; it's pissing me off."

He marched out of the sheds in anger, and from that moment on, Penrith were never going to lose.

The team never played better in that season. A Rhys Wesser hat-trick destroyed a shell-shocked Roosters side. It was all thanks to a young Panther. He led the way.

In the hopes of every man and every woman who bleeds Blue, let's hope this new young Panther front rower can do just exactly the same, against yet another side with legendary status.
I call on the game to promote images such as this, where a kid becomes a leader.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Excellent game and well played everyone. Fantastic reads all round. Over to you ref.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dragons - 254

Hutty - Hate of Origin - 83

A good piece outlining the one thing that the Blues have been lacking for six long years, hate. A few grammatical errors, but still a good piece.

Tanner Ave - Respect Your Elders - 86

A very good piece and a strong argument well presented against the whole 'potential future superstars' of the game. Well done!

Slippery Morris - The Truth Behind Origin - 85

A comical look at the farce that has become Origin selections and eligibility. Nicely written.

Souths - 255

Bubbles - D.O.O.I - 84

Comparing the recent verbal stoushes between the rival Origin camps to that of a daytime soapie. A solid piece.

Monk - Gareth the Fourth Musketeer - 86

A brilliant piece, taking a fairly obvious point and reworking it into something very unique indeed. Great Read!

Non Terminator - To Be A Leader - 85

A well written piece outlining that sometimes, passion and inspriations can come from the most unsuspecting and inexperienced people. Nicely written.

Souths win 255-254

POTM - Tanner Ave and Monk

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Thanks ref and congratulations Souths. Good luck in the final.

Great effort Tanner Ave on scoring the POTM with Monk. :clap:

Monk

Referee
Yeww, Willow Cup final here we come!

Great game dragons, I'm sure we'll face you guys again this year!