What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is Stephen Kearney the worst coach in first grade history?

Is Stephen Kearney the worst coach in first grade history?

• Yes

Votes: 31 31.6%
  • No

Votes: 32 32.7%
  • You forgot about Paul Langmack

Votes: 35 35.7%

• Total voters

BranVan3000

Coach
You can tell he is not a good coach just by the way he communicates. I watch a lot of the post match conferences, Kearney just hasn't got it

Not only is he a mumbler and have a kiwi accent, he never seems to recognise and discuss anything insightful. He never talks about what they want to achieve. it just seems like he has no idea

Compare it to Bellamy who recognises the key moments of the game, he recognises the strengths and weaknesses of the other team, has a very clear cut message for what he wants his team to do and they all know their role. He always repeats many of the same messages about defence

Canard

Immortal
Cowboys got some beauts on that list:

Grant Bell = 22 games at 9%
Tim Sheens = 103 games at 26%
Graham Lowe = 28 games at 28%
and current "Supercoach" = 88 games at 43%

Parra

Referee
Langmack had almost no players and virtually no club. The CEO was David Tapp.

Kearney has a lot more at his disposal in every respect, including a more even comp overall. And his record is only going to get worse the longer it goes on.

Eels Dude

Coach
I heard him in an interview with the boys from talking sport two weeks ago. The guy fails to understand simple English, and struggles to get his point across.

We are screwed with him as head coach.

Mate, did you see him on the GamePlan show on One, where he appeared a few weeks ago?

BunniesMan

Immortal
He's so poor in interviews and postgame press conferences. It makes me think how was he when he interviewed for the job? Surely he had to have sounded much better than he does these days?

newman

First Grade
I just coached my u12s to their first non loss of the year (20 all draw). My record is 0 wins, 5 losses 1 draw. 0% win rate.

I'm about to go jump off the gap.

Ron Swanson

Juniors
I don't think Kearney is that bad a coach. Wayne Bennett would be running last with that team. Rather than building a solid foundation, they've thrown huge amounts of money at a couple of players. It just doesn't work as a strategy.

mongoose

Coach
Mal Meninga - 138 played 74 wins 62 losses 2 draws 53.6% win record

You can find all of the coaches' records here.

http://www.rugbyleagueproject.org/coaches/all.html

Meninga was just poor because he should have done better with the team he had. He still had these players to work with:

Daley, Mullins, Furner, Croker, Kennedy, Mclinden, Nagas...
Stuart and Clyde up until 99.

He did make the finals in 97, 98 and 2000.

beefstew

Juniors
I don't think Kearney is that bad a coach. Wayne Bennett would be running last with that team. Rather than building a solid foundation, they've thrown huge amounts of money at a couple of players. It just doesn't work as a strategy.

You dont need talent to defend, you just have to want to do it. Parra's results during Kearney's time as coach would be pathetic for a team
with half the ability.

Midnight Rabbit

Juniors
For Kearney to ever be considered as bad as Langmack he would have to make a similar halves pairing as Langmack did against the knights one day,

6. Luke Stuart
7.Jamie Fitzgerald

Can he meet this challenge?

boxhead

First Grade
Kearney has a lot of halves to choose from.
Just not any decent ones.

I'm well past believing he can turn us around. To say he's the worst coach ever is a bit of a stretch but he certainly hasn't brought anything to the side that he promised. There's no structure, organisation or steel in the defence. Our team is as weak-willed and brittle-boned as any team I've seen.

BranVan3000

Coach
Whose fault is that if not the coaches?

Latest posts