What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed Signings and even More Crap VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bigfella

Coach
Was just talking to a Kiwi in the know with the AB coach. He just came back from NZ and reckons that SBW will be retained by NZRU.

NZRU have a war chest of $80M from mechanise sold world wide and they will use it to bump his contract and meet the cash from the Roosters and (partly) Jap Rugby.

I would love to get him - but a 12 month contract demanding to play off season Japan and have a fight?

He would miss heaps of preseason; e rusty anyway; and if he picks up a serious injury or even a few
little ones (which frankly given his past and the difference in collision frequency seems almost certain) it becomes a lot less attractive

And I can't see how an NRL side can compete with the other code

There has been plenty of talk it's a done deal at roosters but I have a few queries tbh

no way would i sign SBW for one season missing most of the pre-season.
it would have to be 2-3 years no playing union in the offseason and no boxing.
If he does goto the roosters i'm tipping a few of them will be pretty pissed if he misses the preseason and strolls into the starting side on $800k a year.

Gronk

Staff member
Sounds almost as stupid as paying 800k for a kid and then give him 2 years off to ride a bike in QLD.

#hebetterbetraining

eels81236

Bench
I would love to get him - but a 12 month contract demanding to play off season Japan and have a fight?

He would miss heaps of preseason; e rusty anyway; and if he picks up a serious injury or even a few
little ones (which frankly given his past and the difference in collision frequency seems almost certain) it becomes a lot less attractive

And I can't see how an NRL side can compete with the other code

There has been plenty of talk it's a done deal at roosters but I have a few queries tbh

That just about sums it up.

Delboy

First Grade
Sounds almost as stupid as paying 800k for a kid and then give him 2 years off to ride a bike in QLD.

#hebetterbetraining

Thanks Gronk, we sign a State Of Origin player at 19 years of age who everyone wanted and you still come on here to moan, sighs:crazy:

spartan2153

Juniors
Thanks Gronk, we sign a State Of Origin player at 19 years of age who everyone wanted and you still come on here to moan, sighs:crazy:

He was a state of origin player when signed. He is coming to us at the age of 21 after walking around qld for 2 years which he will also be on big bucks when he arrives. I think it is safe to say people have there reservations at the money that was thrown at him after being away from the game for so long. If we lose hayne because of money then it falls on our coaching & recruitment staff as hoppa well be taken a large chunk of the pie.

strider

Post Whore
wouldn't it be hilarious (well not really but u know what i mean) if he came back in a years time the size of fat albert :lol: :lol:

Gronk

Staff member

LOL lighten up Delboy. I wasn't serious.

Someone was going to sign him and I'm glad it was us.

Anyway Pou said we don't pay overs, so that means he must be worth over $1m seing we got him for $800k.

#bringon2014

Tony Bongo

Bench
He was a state of origin player when signed. He is coming to us at the age of 21 after walking around qld for 2 years which he will also be on big bucks when he arrives. I think it is safe to say people have there reservations at the money that was thrown at him after being away from the game for so long. If we lose hayne because of money then it falls on our coaching & recruitment staff as hoppa well be taken a large chunk of the pie.

I understand the concerns people have about a player that will be out of the game and walking around QLD for 2 years, but some players sign up with clubs and stand around pubs, or get successive injuries and are out of the game for a season or more. I would rather have Hopoate signed than either of the later.
Reni Maitua was out of the game for just as long and many were expressing similar concerns about his signing and IMO he hasn't let us down.
The fact is that he will only be 21 years old when he returns and will have the personal satisfaction of having fulfilled his religious duties. He comes to our club in the prime of his youth, without baggage and we know he will be a player that will not be making headlines for the wrong reasons and will be a clean skin.
The only risk realistically is if he decides that his missionary service is the life for him. If he does he will cost us nothing anyway so I don't see the problem that others have with his signing.
I think things will be fine and I can't wait to see him playing in the Blue and Gold. Sure he loves God but there is no doubt in my mind that he also loves his footy. He's grown up with it, his dad, uncle and brothers play it and it's in his blood. He will be fine.:thumb
P.S : It's the first time I've ever wanted a Mormon to knock on my door. He's welcome in my house any time.:D

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
Hopoate coming back should be better than Loko seeing the poor guy has just had back to back knee reconstructions

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I understand the concerns people have about a player that will be out of the game and walking around QLD for 2 years, but some players sign up with clubs and stand around pubs, or get successive injuries and are out of the game for a season or more. I would rather have Hopoate signed than either of the later.
Reni Maitua was out of the game for just as long and many were expressing similar concerns about his signing and IMO he hasn't let us down.
The fact is that he will only be 21 years old when he returns and will have the personal satisfaction of having fulfilled his religious duties. He comes to our club in the prime of his youth, without baggage and we know he will be a player that will not be making headlines for the wrong reasons and will be a clean skin.
The only risk realistically is if he decides that his missionary service is the life for him. If he does he will cost us nothing anyway so I don't see the problem that others have with his signing.
I think things will be fine and I can't wait to see him playing in the Blue and Gold. Sure he loves God but there is no doubt in my mind that he also loves his footy. He's grown up with it, his dad, uncle and brothers play it and it's in his blood. He will be fine.:thumb
P.S : It's the first time I've ever wanted a Mormon to knock on my door. He's welcome in my house any time.:D

Great post Tony.

What position do you think he will play?

strider

Post Whore
actually the biggest risk is not that he will like the missionary stuff so much that he totally bails, it is that he comes back with not alot of motivation to play good footy but still stays on and plays for 3 years chewing up $800K but not producing what he is capable of

but I don't think that will happen - he seems like a good kid (which is f**king amazing considering his dipshit nutcase father)

Noise

Coach
Does anyone think he may leave his bike ride early and come play for us next year? Surely if we offered t-rex $ 500 000 we'd have some money for hoppa

Bongo if he knocks on your door, you should steal his bike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts