What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#Jarryd Hayne credits NSW coach Ricky Stuart with his resurrection

Parra Pride

Coach
364795-jarryd-hayne.jpg

Resurrection: Jarryd Hayne and Josh Morris after the Origin II victory. Picture: Gregg Porteous. Source: The Daily Telegraph

JARRYD Hayne has revealed that Ricky Stuart's faith in him to perform on the Origin stage reignited his stumbling season.

In a wide-ranging interview, Hayne also told how being away from Parramatta had helped relieve the pressure on him - while unannounced visits to his old primary school has made him realise just how lucky he is to have the life he has.

"When anyone puts belief in you, you always go to that next level," Hayne said when asked about Stuart's influence on his return to form.

"Whenever anyone is telling you that you can do it, it gives you a lift. It boosts your confidence, especially when you are down."

Hayne said that is exactly where he was before he arrived in camp for Origin one in the wake of Parramatta's disastrous start to the season.

"I guess that's probably been the highlight of my series, knowing that when I came here in game one a lot of people were against me,' he said.

"People were coming out in the paper saying don't pick me and for Ricky to come out and say; 'No, I want him', he built something in me that is Origin.

"He knew what I could do at Origin level and he had the confidence that I would do it. And that is what he has done for all these players.

"He is a passionate coach and anyone who knows Ricky knows that and it reflects through his players and the way we play. He has got the best out of every player. He has had time to sit back and focus on what needs to be done and he has done it."

The turnaround in Hayne's on-field attitude has been there for all to see - transforming from a player who looked unhappy and fed-up to a man again enjoying his football.

"(Origin) has obviously done something to me, it's hard to put your finger on what, but I guess the Origin series has definitely given me time to be away from the Parramatta scene and focus on footy and get that buzz back,' he said.

Often criticised for not appearing to care enough about his club form or his team's fortunes, Hayne said he accepts the criticism comes with the territory but he tries to always keep it in context.

"I have always said and I have always maintained that I will get credit for doing things I shouldn't get credit for and I will get criticised for things that weren't my fault," he explained.

"You have to keep telling yourself what the truth is."

And the truth is right now Hayne is in a happy place and visits to his old primary school - John Warby Public School at Airds - where he rose from housing commission to become a household name have helped him realise how he can now provide hope to the next generation.

Asked if he was proud of the man he had become, Hayne said: "Of course, when you sit back and look at it that way. I don't really look at it that way every day but I guess when I have a bit of time out or when I am down at Campbelltown I sit back and think this is where I have come from, this is what I can do.

"The thing for me now is to try and give that belief back to the kids and the people who are in the position I was in then. I have done a couple of weeks down at my old primary school this year, just trying to help the kids down there. I had wanted to keep it private."

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...his-resurrection/story-e6frexv9-1226408367217

#IfStuartReallyHadFaithHeWouldPlayHimInHisBestPosition

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Journo: "How do you feel about Ricky Stuart having faith in you?"

Hayne: "When anyone puts belief in you, you always go to that next level."

Journo: "Thanks Jarryd. I have enough for the story I want to write..."

Avenger

Immortal
The Telegraph is such a shit newspaper. Cannot wait until early 2013 when the SMH ditches the broadsheet goes to a tabloid size and blows this abomination of a newspaper out of circulation.

TheRam

Coach
And people still don't think Stuart is our best option to replace SK and also give us the best chance to retain Hayne. :crazy:

Wise Old Eel

Juniors
Is this Hayne endorsing Ricky Stuart as the new coach of Parramatta...

I can see how it could be interpreted that way.

From what I recall, the board were very keen to get Jarryd on side (pardon the pun) when they were looking to replace DA with SK. In that instance, they used Jarryd's Father's relationship with SK to get him to agree with the move. I remember Jarryd publicly announcing his approval of SK being made coach. Perhaps this is Jarryd's way of saying to the board "I endorse Ricky to replace Steve"?

Of course, as Poupou said, it could just be a nothing story where the journo has simply filled in the blanks. Something we all know the Telecrap in renowned for. Watch this space, I suppose...

WOE

mickdo

Coach
The Telegraph is such a shit newspaper. Cannot wait until early 2013 when the SMH ditches the broadsheet goes to a tabloid size and blows this abomination of a newspaper out of circulation.

Not if Reinhart buys it

Gronk

Staff member
accc? :lol:

They seem to have little power to stop anything.

ACCC do a good job ! Mate look at the way that they are fighting the supermarket duopoly and combating fuel pump price collusion.

Oh, hold on ...

chrisD

Coach
His game against Penrith was as big a nothing game from him as he's had all year, and his best (2 best) came before SOO.

The media must consult a roulette wheel to determine if Hayne is in or out of form.

born an eel

Bench
and I thought the best way to boost the confidence of your players was to drop them back to wenty for a week,

True EEL

Bench
I'm thinking that they will stick with Kearney now.

Yes, that thought is disturbing me too.... ;-)
Mind you, kudos to SK for having the guts to drop Ben Roberts twice in half a season and bring Luke Kelly in, I'll always give credit where its due.

Cloudsurfer

Juniors
Says more about his current coach than anything else.

I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. Maybe it says more about Hayne than anyone else...doesn't anyone have a problem with this - even given it is a media twist? I know I'll get shot down for this but apart from all the other issues around the team.... Hayne lifts his game in time for for origin selection, credits Stuart for giving him his confidence back & implications are his NRL coach is the problem...no matter how good he is (when he chooses to be) he wouldn't be in my team - attitude sucks & undermines the team imo. SK is between a rock & a hard place as it is but doesn't say a helluva lot about Hayne's commitment to the team (and club) imo.