What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 - WARL Harvey Norman Premiership

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Yep it was the same story last yea but something the ayers ad coaching staff are working hard on! After willagee this week we will be looking to knock off a few of the better sides, if not all if them!

I feel like they are missing a leader in the halves. Got some good handy backs in the 1, and big red head centre, and a great hardworking forward pack. But needed to be directed around the field.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Hopefully the Kalamunda Bulldogs can bounce back and gain some confidence against the Goldfields this week. They were rather disappointing on the weekend against South Perth especially around the ruck. They missed Hooker Joe Parkinson who has flown back to England for the rest of the season.

Some tough games coming up for the Doggies:
@ Goldfield Titans
V Willagee Bears
V North Beach Sea Eagles
@ Rockingham Sharks
@ Joondalup Giants

I think the last game against Jonndalup will be the toughest and most important.

With the Competition coming a couple of games into the second round and some BIG games this weekend who is your favourite to take out the Harvey Norman Premiership?

I like the look of North Beach. Big forward pack and strong outside backs. Mick Kestle in at 5/8 could be the weak link as I think he is more suited to Lock. Big boots to fill for the retired Craig Phillis. The next 2 games will see where the Beach is at up against the Lions and Sharks away.

South Perth will be up there again but when it gets tough they just cant win. lost 3 games by a total of 5 points. Big, Huge, Massive forward pack but dont have the outside backs to get over the line. They need Issac Thomas to fire!

Rockingham is class all over the paddock but with rumors of rifts between the coaching staff and players might be detrimental to the way the go in the later stages of the competition. Strong forward pack with Blake Nichols, Andrew Jeffery and Josh Simms give good go forward for the likes of Caleb Reedy and Rowan Hastings to play off the back of. 2 big games ahead against Freo and Beach will set them up for the for the finals.

Fremantle is the hot and cold team of the comp. You can tell by the 20min mark which team has turned up. Although I dont think they will be up there when the whips are cracking they could also be the surprise packet and beat any team on their day. Delane Edwards is the man to take this team to the top along with Samson Graham who has come from nowhere to be leading the Ken Allen Medal and should run away with the title. Fremantle need their little half Jonathon Presley to steer the ship which he is more than capable of doing but its a tough ship to sail.

Kalamunda have lost a big part of their team in Hooker Joey Parkinson. He steered them around the field well and was a massive part of their title chances, with the loss of Joe i think it will be a tough second round for the Dogs. Josh Benjiman needs to be the man to step up and fire for the dogs to have any chance of winning another game against the top for contenders

Who would you like to see win the comp? Or who do you think will win the comp?

joondalup_giant

Staff member
I'm predicting a north beach/rockingham grand final with north beach winning convincingly! I just can't see any team getting close to them at the moment.

Goldthorpe

Bench
I'm predicting a north beach/rockingham grand final with north beach winning convincingly! I just can't see any team getting close to them at the moment.
When I saw Rockingham play us in Round 06, I wasn't overly impressed by them. They tend to throw the ball around and hope for the best. We were down on confidence that day and they only beat us by 26 and they scored a couple of lucky tries.

I think North Beach are leading the way at the moment - just stating the bloody obvious!

Lol only by 26???

I didnt watch that game in particular so maybe it was backwards day, but the bulldogs in the games i have watched are the biggest exponent of the throw the ball around and hope for the best gamestyle. Cairo Takarangi and Josh Benjamin are the 2 main instigators.

When I saw Rockingham play us in Round 06, I wasn't overly impressed by them. They tend to throw the ball around and hope for the best. We were down on confidence that day and they only beat us by 26 and they scored a couple of lucky tries.

Rockingham must be pretty lucky then if the have the best Offence (326) and best Defense (117) then any other team... and remember they didnt play the Titans so they got a 20-0 score line....

As much as it burns me to say it (As i don't like the organisation down there) Rockingham will give this comp a real good crack and I wouldnt be surprised if they win. Their big test is the next 2 games.

Goldthorpe

Bench
Lol only by 26???

I didnt watch that game in particular so maybe it was backwards day, but the bulldogs in the games i have watched are the biggest exponent of the throw the ball around and hope for the best gamestyle. Cairo Takarangi and Josh Benjamin are the 2 main instigators.
I know the Sharks have put digits on other teams hence why I said only 26! :D

Goldthorpe

Bench
Rockingham must be pretty lucky then if the have the best Offence (326) and best Defense (117) then any other team... and remember they didnt play the Titans so they got a 20-0 score line....

As much as it burns me to say it (As i don't like the organisation down there) Rockingham will give this comp a real good crack and I wouldnt be surprised if they win. Their big test is the next 2 games.
I was only doing a bit of homework on the Kalamunda Bulldogs today to see how much they have improved over the past 3 seasons.
Code:
       For   Against
2012  35.6      25.1  
2011  25.9      44.0
2010  22.0      55.4

Got beaten by 30+ 9 times in 2010, 6 times in 2011 and only once in 2012 against South Perth last week [-34]

joondalup_giant

Staff member
Sharks win games by not making mistakes, there a very well drilled side! Plus the Caleb reedy factor, makes them a very difficult side to beat.

Sharks win games by not making mistakes, there a very well drilled side! Plus the Caleb reedy factor, makes them a very difficult side to beat.

I 100% agree with you J.G. He is a class player and to have a solid and agile forward pack and a strong backline you cannot fault them. Josh Simms and Blake Nichols have been doing the hard yards for the games i have seen them play and with a strong kicking game from Rowan Hastings along with Reedy makes them Premiership favourites IMO. But i still think South Perth will be in and around the mix. Beach will have to lift a gear to give the competition a shake, fingers crossed they do.

Matt Doeg (North Beach) is probably the best player in the competition. Its no secret that Samson Graham (Fremantle) is probably the short priced favourite to take out the Dally M award.

Top Dogs For Clubs
North Beach
Forwards - Matt Doeg (hooker)
Backs - Ben Taylor (centre)

South Perth
Forwards - Isacc Thomas (lock)
Backs - Pikari Tewara (centre)

Rockingham Sharks
Forwards - Josh Simm (prop)
Backs - Caleb Reedy (halves)

Fremantle Roosters
Forwards - Samson Graham (lock)
Backs - Delane Edwards (fullback)

Kalamunda Bulldogs
Forwards - Tim Debba Cook (lock)
Backs - Josh Benjamin (centre)

Joondalup Giants
Forwards - Nathan Searle (prop)
Backs - Jeremy Browne (fullback)

Goldfields Titans
Forwards - Shemiah Evans (prop)
Backs - Drew Hunt (centre/5/8)

Sorry but Willagee unfortunantly have not shown any dominant players in their fixtures this year

Nuke

Staff member
The Dally M?! Wow. Must be a superstar if he can be a favourite despite never having played a single NRL game..! :p

I'm kidding. I know you meant the Ken Allen Medal.