What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kyle O'Donnell

Frederick

Staff member
I was impressed with his 9 minute stint today, and it's a shame his debut ended like that cause I would've liked to see if he could keep it going. Showed great footwork to make that half break through the line.

I hope Wayne gives him another go as long as he's ok following the head clash

perverse

Referee
Look forward to seeing more of him. Didn't see enough to really know how he's going to go, we were well aware of his physical attributes.

Yosh

Coach
He looked quite big out there. We lack size and he seemed to have plenty of it. Hope he gets better soon.

the painter

Juniors
Yeh he looked great out there lying flat on his arse after Sam gave him a big hello, he went as well as your team did. Ha Ha Ha

Johns Magic

Referee
My first thought after he got knocked out was that I wish we actually had signed LOD so we could watch him hunt Burgess down.

My second thought was that surely someone from our pack would fire up and try and square the ledger. Then I remembered who was in our pack and sat calmly to watch them continue to plod along and act as if nothing ever happened.

Joker's Wild

Coach
My first thought after he got knocked out was that I wish we actually had signed LOD so we could watch him hunt Burgess down.

My second thought was that surely someone from our pack would fire up and try and square the ledger. Then I remembered who was in our pack and sat calmly to watch them continue to plod along and act as if nothing ever happened.

Exactly what I thought when it happened.

Its like our boys dont give a shit about each other. This was the kids 1st game ffs and no one stepped up to square the ledger. Pissed me off

RHCP

Bench
Me too. I thought maybe Mason would try and line him up, but he probably didn't have it in him after doing everybody elses work.

KOD looked very good out there. He ran with agression, like he was actually trying to bust the line.

I hope he's back very soon.

Big Tim

First Grade
He was great. More enthusiasm than most except probably Willie and Dane. Burgess shot was a ripper.

Disagree completely.

That tackle could have a home in the NFL, but even then he would have been penalised.

The shoulder charge is a reckless tackle. You have no control over what happens after contact.

It was a headclash? Had he have attempted to tackle the bloke, their heads would not have collided.

Nuffy

Bench
I for one think we are now in dangerous territory where head clashes are deemed acceptable.

Why is it that you can't hit a bloke in the head with your hand, but a head clash is okay.

Myles did it in Origin without penalty and now Burgess on KOD. Surely the burden of responsibility is on the defender not to hit the attacker in the head with any part of his body, accidental or otherwise.

This is not a direction I think the NRL wants to go down......................

Big Tim

First Grade
I for one think we are now in dangerous territory where head clashes are deemed acceptable.

Why is it that you can't hit a bloke in the head with your hand, but a head clash is okay.

Myles did it in Origin without penalty and now Burgess on KOD. Surely the burden of responsibility is on the defender not to hit the attacker in the head with any part of his body, accidental or otherwise.

This is not a direction I think the NRL wants to go down......................

Especially when the attacker didnt slip, fall or duck. That has been the scapegoat all along.

None of these things happened, in fact, I dont even know what happened in terms of play after the hit, because I couldnt take my eyes off KOD on the ground motionless. It was good to see some of our team also rush over to him.

The referees response to how they handled it will be interesting.

Nuffy

Bench
If the NRL don't nip this in the bud quickly then I await the day when a star player is taken out of a big game by an "accidental" head clash.

At a minimum it should have been a penalty as KOD's head was attacked.

Big Tim

First Grade
If the NRL don't nip this in the bud quickly then I await the day when a star player is taken out of a big game by an "accidental" head clash.

At a minimum it should have been a penalty as KOD's head was attacked.

If I were the NRL I would be more concerned about law suits.

If any of the claims laid against the NFL stand up, I can guarantee that someone will bring something against the NRL.

Heck, they could use the vision of KOD hitting the ground and not moving, whilst the in-game officials allow play to continue as proof the NRL are not concerned for player welfare.

Johns Magic

Referee
Disagree completely.

That tackle could have a home in the NFL, but even then he would have been penalised.

The shoulder charge is a reckless tackle. You have no control over what happens after contact.

It was a headclash? Had he have attempted to tackle the bloke, their heads would not have collided.

Under the rules though which allow shoulder charges it was a perfectly legitimate hit. I can't fault Burgess for it.

Personally I hate shoulder charges and think they should be banned. They are cheap shots and reckless. I have seen guys have their jaws broken because some f**kwit flies in from an angle(i.e. blindsides, which is what most shoulder charges are about) for a shoulder charge and launches their head straight into the ballrunner's face.

It takes a lot more skill to pull off a proper tackle with arms, and is better to watch.

You watch some of Edwards's or Nigel Plum's bellringers and compare them to Burgess's yesterday and I'll bet you find the former more impressive.

The best tackle I've seen was a cracker by Lincoln Withers on a rampaging Matt Utai where's he lifted him up front on and sat him on his arse. Those are the tackles we should be celebrating.

Last edited:

RHCP

Bench
You watch some of Edwards's or Nigel Plum's bellringers and compare them to Burgess's yesterday and I'll bet you find the former more impressive.
Absolutely. They hurt more too imo, as long as they don't get a good jam in the sternum, getting planted on your arse with a shoulder in your ribs hurts a hell of a lot more than a shoulder-to-shoulder bump.

Can't fault Burgess for it, it's within the rules right now. He showed some class not carrying on and looking genuinely concerned as well.

Kyle should be in FG for the rest of the season. At least he has some balls. I would put him in the starting line up and just let him rip him. KOD >>>>>>>>>>>> Edwards

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Personally I'm a big fan of shoulder charges. If they were to be taken out of the game, I dare say there will be people who will lose interest in the sport. They can look pretty spectacular and because they can go wrong, it demonstrates toughness on the behalf of the defender also.

I remember games in the 90's where the knights looked destined to lose, so Paul Harragon charged out of the line and performed a shoulder charge or 2. It lifted the players around him and swayed the game.

RABK

Referee
Front on shoulder charges eg SBW on Flannery, SBW on Clinton, Tahu on Norrie etc should not be banned. Much less risk as both players are able to see, aim and brace all parts of their bodies. Still a risk but much less IMO. It's fair game.

Shoulder charges where the defender turns their hip and shoulder in towards the runner resulting in a 'blind' attack aimed very close to the runners head shoudl be banned. eg burgess on KOD, Kidwell on Mason.

Latest posts