What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Lewis asking the Panthers for a release! Wow!

BunniesMan

Immortal
This is the equivalent of Cronulla getting rid of Gallen, Wests getting rid of Farah, Brisbane getting rid of Thaiday.

Apey

Staff member
M2D2 I'm not sure if you were trying to prove me wrong or what (you were criticising Gus before so not sure) but that quote is basically exactly what I was saying, so... yeah.

Frailty

First Grade
The idea was right but poorly handled by the club and massively milked by the media. Luke's comments behind the scenes against the club during the origin were poor.

How is the idea right? If he isn't playing the game he isn't captain! It works for every other club.

It was a dumb idea from the start, and there is no good way to handle that.

If they wanted him at the club, they would have not granted the release.

M2D2

Bench
I dont like gus and to say what he said was still wrong. But I was just providing you again with the quote to back up what you said.

Fire

First Grade
I feel sorry for all the Penrith fans. I can only imagine how sick I'd feel if Dragons did this to Hornby or Cooper. But Gould and Cleary are not stupid men (they may not be exceptional, but they're far from stupid). I think Penrith will improve over the next two seasons.

ek999

First Grade
The idea was right but poorly handled by the club and massively milked by the media. Luke's comments behind the scenes against the club during the origin were poor.

How was it the right idea? What purpose did it serve? If it is such a great idea, why was Cameron Smith, Paul Gallen, Sam Thaiday, Johnathon Thurston, Matt Scott, Robbie Farah not stripped of the captaincy?

It was a dick move by Gould and Cleary and no matter how you try and spin it, it will always be a dick move

Blade23

Juniors
1. If any of what you said is true, why would anyone give him the captaincy in the first place.
2. Noone else had the captaincy taken off him for origin. It was a humiliation of the highest order.

It was expect at the start of the year for Lewis to have the captaincy, if he wasn?t the shit would have hit the fan.
I would hardly called being relieved of the captaincy for a few a weeks as a humiliation. He was always promised it back for round 19

M2D2

Bench
I feel sorry for all the Penrith fans. I can only imagine how sick I'd feel if Dragons did this to Hornby or Cooper. But Gould and Cleary are not stupid men (they may not be exceptional, but they're far from stupid). I think Penrith will improve over the next two seasons.
I truly have no idea how you think that will improve next season. :lol:

Frailty

First Grade
It was expect at the start of the year for Lewis to have the captaincy, if he wasn?t the shit would have hit the fan.
I would hardly called being relieved of the captaincy for a few a weeks as a humiliation. He was always promised it back for round 19

Then why was he stripped of it when no other captain playing origin was.

I mean Gallen missed more games during the Origin period than the three games the weekend before - yet he is still the captain during this time...

It was a dumb move that could NEVER be justified.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Dear oh dear.

Poor Luke..

And notice how no one bats an eyelid when the club rips up a binding contract...but if a player does it, he is treated like a criminal..dis loyal etc.

Well I say Penrith cannot be trusted to fufill thier obligations on contracts, are disloyal to the core, and hope you enjoy Ivan, you deserve him.

Makes me sick in the guts.

Blade23

Juniors
How was it the right idea? What purpose did it serve? If it is such a great idea, why was Cameron Smith, Paul Gallen, Sam Thaiday, Johnathon Thurston, Matt Scott, Robbie Farah not stripped of the captaincy?

I never said it was a great idea, I can see cleary?s reasons for it, at the time over the origin period Lewis would been at the club for just 6 days and played one maybe 2 games. I wouldn?t expect Brisbane or Melbourne to do such a thing like that to Thaiday or Smith, they are too well run.

LeagueLegend

Juniors

It was never promised back to him at all, rather they agreed after how poorly it was handled they would look at whether he would be given it back. Big difference.

Frailty

First Grade
The only thing this does is remind me of Chris Anderson booting Preston Campbell...

We got Kimmorley in return - Penrith are getting no one.

Panfas

Juniors
Dear oh dear.

Poor Luke..

And notice how no one bats an eyelid when the club rips up a binding contract...but if a player does it, he is treated like a criminal..dis loyal etc.

Well I say Penrith cannot be trusted to fufill thier obligations on contracts, are disloyal to the core, and hope you enjoy Ivan, you deserve him.

Makes me sick in the guts.
How the f**k is he being treated like a criminal? Listen to the f**king interview, he has requested a release on his own terms because he wants a change. What is Penrith to do, decline the request and demand he plays? I would rather Luke play elsewhere and be happy then force him to play for us to just retire anyway mid-contract. FMD

Frailty

First Grade
How the f**k is he being treated like a criminal? Listen to the f**king interview, he has requested a release on his own terms because he wants a change. What is Penrith to do, decline the request and demand he plays? I would rather Luke play elsewhere and be happy then force him to play for us to just retire anyway mid-contract. FMD

They can, and Gould has done it before...

Gordon wanted out of the club instantly - Gould said no.

Shocker of the year for sure. I still don't believe it. I just feel sorry for all the Panthers fans. I can't imagine how gutted they would feel right now.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
hard part for us is we're all just speculating. On face value i see no reason why you'd release the captain who's a great player, current test and origin player and still has another good 4 years plus ahead of him.

we dont know what he's like behind the scenes, whether he's a disruptive influence etc. the other thing speculated by someone at work was whether the panthers have someone they think can come up and take his place. at the start of the year no one had heard of adam reynolds except souths insiders, but he's had a better half season than all of sandows combined seasons in first grade.

$bw or folau?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I was refering to others who have walked out on a club.

Clearly this is the club walking out on Luke. But it us the club, so people accept that.

f**king one way streets are cool for league fans.