What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Lewis asking the Panthers for a release! Wow!

BunniesMan

Immortal
Thanks for your response. Fair enough, time will tell I guess. I think they will improve simply because Cleary will get a rocket up the youngsters. A lot of people saw no improvement in your club this time last year, but you guys are sitting in a good position.
Cleary had loads of talent in NZ. And still got himself an overall losing record.

He is overrated for making one grand final. Hagan made one grand final.

Fire

First Grade
Their halves are still there. Losing the heart and soul of the club. Loosing their 2nd best back. I have no doubt that things will get get worse before they get better unless they sign a star to take the spot Lewis left.

Thanks for your response. I disagree. In my experience you should never underestimate youth and enthusiasm. Looking from the outside in, Lewis was a club legend, yes. But he was unhappy. There's nothing worse than having someone unhappy among you. He wanted to leave, Gus and Cleary let him. Everyone goes on their separate ways and the world keeps spinning. Gus and Cleary can sort things out. Luke moves on. Looks like a win-win situation to me.

Fire

First Grade
Cleary had loads of talent in NZ. And still got himself an overall losing record.

And you think I give a f**k about your opinion because...

Massive pick for the club that gets him ( I wish it were the Raiders )

Its obvious something has gone sour between Lewis and the Panthers ( or Cleary ).

The loser will be Penrith unless they score Thurston , but no use keeping a player that doesnt want to be there

He had one losing season as a coach, when he had a player pass away in the pre-season. Any team would struggle under those circumstances, the players are human. The only other time he missed the finals was due to a 4 point deduction for a salary cap breach that occurred before he arrived at the club. You can't blame him for that one.

Panfas

Juniors
Thanks for your response. I disagree. In my experience you should never underestimate youth and enthusiasm. Looking from the outside in, Lewis was a club legend, yes. But he was unhappy. There's nothing worse than having someone unhappy among you. He wanted to leave, Gus and Cleary let him. Everyone goes on their separate ways and the world keeps spinning. Gus and Cleary can sort things out. Luke moves on. Looks like a win-win situation to me.
Thank you :clap:

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I feel for the Panthers. This is just wrong, losing the rock of their club is just wrong. It would be like seeing Hindy, Lockyer, Menzies, play for another club.

LeagueLegend

Juniors

Except the Panthers just keep losing....

M2D2

Bench
I wont be surprised if in 2014 things start to look up. But next year looks a battle for the spoon with the Eels again.

Fire

First Grade
I wont be surprised if in 2014 things start to look up. But next year looks a battle for the spoon with the Eels again.

You could be right. Who knows. It'll be interesting to watch either way.

Frailty

First Grade
Why was a club legend unhappy though?

This is why it isn't win-win for the Panthers... They have lost a club legend that bled chocolate soldiers, and are not able to replace him with a player of equal ability or leadership.

I get that you can't keep an unhappy player at the club - but it is what the club did to make him unhappy that should have every Panther fan concerned. It has me concerned for f**k sake and I don't even go for the club. I will to see strong clubs, and it seems that Penrith are already struggling with this being another punch in the guts to the supporters.

Fire

First Grade
Except the Panthers just keep losing....

This season, yes. But Cleary and Gus now have a youthful squad that fears (in a good way)/respects them (see dropping Jennings, allowing a club legend to walk if he wants).

These two men have now also had a season to feel each other out. I think the Panthers upcoming pre-season will be brutal, and they will prepare the 2013 squad well. Gus and Cleary are two men who hate losing.

Perth Red

Post Whore
So whose offered him tonnes of $'s I wonder? Doubt he is leaving with nothing lined up. Titans or Newcastle maybe?

ek999

First Grade
To rebuild you need a good mix of youth and older players to guide the younger ones on the field and help develop them into better players. That is especially true now with such a weak reserve grade competition alot of players are making the jump from u20's to first gradew. In the last 2 years, Penrith have got rid of Petero, Lewis and Gordon. You only need to look at how the Roosters going with such a young team to realise that you need the experience there to guide the younger players. Teams would much rather face Blake Austin and Tia-Kilifi then Luke Lewis

Fire

First Grade
Why was a club legend unhappy though?

This is why it isn't win-win for the Panthers... They have lost a club legend that bled chocolate soldiers, and are not able to replace him with a player of equal ability or leadership.

I get that you can't keep an unhappy player at the club - but it is what the club did to make him unhappy that should have every Panther fan concerned. It has me concerned for f**k sake and I don't even go for the club. I will to see strong clubs, and it seems that Penrith are already struggling with this being another punch in the guts to the supporters.

I don't have all the facts, but it looks a lot like the Lance Thompson saga that happened with us. Perhaps one player thinking he was bigger than the club and wanting everything his own way. Then the coaching staff and management telling him he wasn't, and him then becoming unhappy. I really don't know to be honest, that's just my guess.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Sadly. I thought that with Lewis. Terrible coach. Gould p!ssing players off. Not 1 player has improved this year. No reason to think next year will be different.

Lewis & Petero. Both played for numerous rep teams. Every coach & player that played with them loved them. Yep Gould got rid of both. Shameful display.

Cleary isnt terrible, he proved that last year with the Warriors imo. Players not improving is more than likely them not reacting well to a regime change and responding with poor form. Its happening right now with Newcastle and you can hardly call Bennett a dud coach

Tough times ahead for the Pennies but Id be confident of a turnaround in the next season or so if I was a supporter. Its clear that Ivan and Gus are looking to build the team from the ground up with guys they believe can get on board.

chrisD

Coach
I was just thinking to myself I wonder what Phil Rothfield is thinking right now. Thank you Bunniesman.

Latest posts