What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Luke Lewis asking the Panthers for a release! Wow!

LeagueLegend

Juniors
To rebuild you need a good mix of youth and older players to guide the younger ones on the field and help develop them into better players. That is especially true now with such a weak reserve grade competition alot of players are making the jump from u20's to first gradew. In the last 2 years, Penrith have got rid of Petero, Lewis and Gordon. You only need to look at how the Roosters going with such a young team to realise that you need the experience there to guide the younger players. Teams would much rather face Blake Austin and Tia-Kilifi then Luke Lewis

Too true. Roosters are a fine example of how youth are struggling. But gee I hope they get up tonight!!

I don't have all the facts, but it looks a lot like the Lance Thompson saga that happened with us. Perhaps one player thinking he was bigger than the club and wanting everything his own way. Then the coaching staff and management telling him he wasn't, and him then becoming unhappy. I really don't know to be honest, that's just my guess.

My guess is your guess is incorrect.

If Lewis got pushed then the Panthers have no clue...he is a gun of a player, a strong leader and will offer a lot to another club.

Taking the captaincy off him was pathetic to say the least.

He will be in high demand but the cap may be an obstacle for a lot of clubs.

Avenger

Immortal
If Lewis got pushed then the Panthers have no clue...he is a gun of a player, a strong leader and will offer a lot to another club.

Taking the captaincy off him was pathetic to say the least.

He will be in high demand but the cap may be an obstacle for a lot of clubs.

Not ours. We need a new backrower and captain and coach and board and CEO.

some11

Referee
Spin it either way..

1. Players like Petero and Lewis pissed off at club politics (not giving Georgallis a chance)

2. Having a sook because they no longer have 'power'

Take your pick.

Iafeta

Referee
Spin it either way..

1. Players like Petero and Lewis pissed off at club politics (not giving Georgallis a chance)

2. Having a sook because they no longer have 'power'

Take your pick.

This story seems to back that up

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=10818143

"I think, by the sounds of things, they're probably not used to being coached by a coach," Brown said. "Apparently, they're pretty used to running the team themselves."

-----

I'd be backing Cleary. Leadership groups and all that are great (and Cleary supported them at the Warriors), but you can't have the inmates running the asylum. Looking at their penalty counts over the past few years I dare say there seems to be a bit of truth in that. And if it means a guy like Lewis has to go, then Penrith categorically have to do it to root out that nonsense.

JoeD

First Grade
Heard from good sauce that last year the team sheet had to be signed off by Petero before it was announced to the press. My feeling is that Lewis probably didn't like that he couldn't dictate like he was used to.

Radical Rat

Juniors
Heard from good sauce that last year the team sheet had to be signed off by Petero before it was announced to the press. My feeling is that Lewis probably didn't like that he couldn't dictate like he was used to.

Tomato or BBQ?

Loudstrat

Coach
When did Lewis last sign a Panthers contract?

As for the captaincy thing - Lewis should have grown the f*ck up. Thurston was asked to forfeit exclusive captaincy to share it. So did Asotasi. Fitzgibbon did for Anasta.

Cleary obviously needed something from his captain that Lewis couldnt fulfil during Origin. FFS it was a short term strategy, not career ending. The coach has to run the ship, which is why these calls are made. Which is why they pissed Petero off. Which is why they dropped Jennings.

If Lewis was fair dinkum he would have:
1) Remained at the club for life regardless - aka Hindy
2) Changed clubs during the last contract negotiation. No one could begrudge a good player joining a better club to play finals footy - which is why I am nervous about Hayne.

Look at the finals list - is anyone happy about Penrith's performance since 2003? When Gus came in there was an alarming statistic about alcohol use in the club -something to do with drink driving I recall. Something had to change because the leadership group wasnt doing the right thing.

Anyway, Lewis asking for a release is not Gus' fault.

Iafeta

Referee

I can only hope for Penrith's sake that that is a joke. Because frankly, that is ... a joke, if true.

typicalfan

Coach
I am sure if Luke Lewis is part of the problem teams would avoid him at all costs. Almost every team would have him instantly though if they could afford him.

DC_fan

Coach
Penrith is heading in a new direction and that is away from Luke Lewis.

Will he be the last to go?

JoeD

First Grade
I am sure if Luke Lewis is part of the problem teams would avoid him at all costs. Almost every team would have him instantly though if they could afford him.

Not necessarily. Players attitudes change at different clubs. Ask Dessie.