What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Australian Tour of the UAE

Hallatia

Referee
Series against Pakistan is coming up about a month after this UK one finishes. The details of the tour itself are yet to be finalised, but excitingly (for me and my love of associates anyway), there will be a warm up match, most likely an ODI between Australia and Afghanistan.

Sadly, according to the FTP, this tour is another one of only ODIs and Australia don't play any test matches til they host South Africa in November.

Hallatia

Referee
Australia to play Afghanistan in UAE
ESPNcricinfo staff
July 2, 2012

Australia will play Afghanistan for the first time next month, as a warm-up for the series against Pakistan in the UAE. Although the details of the Pakistan series are still being finalised, Cricket Australia has confirmed that a one-off match with Afghanistan, most likely a one-day international, will be held ahead of the Pakistan series in an effort to assist with Afghanistan's cricketing development.

If the game is an ODI it will be Afghanistan's second against an ICC full member, after they lost to Pakistan in Sharjah in February. Although Afghanistan did not qualify for last year's World Cup they have one-day international status valid until 2013 and have had wins over Kenya, Canada, Netherlands and Scotland, having won more than half of the games they have played.

"Everyone in world cricket have been really impressed with how cricket has flourished in Afghanistan, despite its pressing national problems," James Sutherland, the chief executive of Cricket Australia, said. "As an ICC member, CA strongly supports world cricket's ambition for cricket to continue to develop as a global sport and that, combined with the strong relationships between our two countries, encouraged us to look at how we might recognise and encourage Afghanistan by playing them on the field."

Afghanistan will be part of the ICC World Twenty20 in Sri Lanka in September, where they have found themselves in a very difficult group with India and England. They also played in the 2010 World T20 and will be competing in the Under-19 World Cup next August, to be held in Australia.

The date and venue for the Afghanistan-Australia match will not be confirmed until Pakistan and Australia finalise the structure of their series. The PCB has proposed a series of three ODIs and three T20s, despite the ICC granting permission for a six-match T20 series due to the extreme heat during the daytime in the UAE in August and September.
Sauce

Hallatia

Referee
Three-ODI, three-T20 Pakistan-Australia series confirmed
ESPNcricinfo staff
July 5, 2012

Pakistan and Australia will play three Twenty20s and three ODIs in the UAE in in August and September, it has been confirmed. The matches will begin in the late evening to avoid the worst of the days' heat.

The ODIs played between August 28 and September 3 will begin at 6pm local time. The Twenty20s that follow are set to begin at 8pm.

There had been much debate over the actual make-up of the series which is a 'home' series for Pakistan. The Australian Cricketers' Association had expressed its concerns about playing ODIs in such hot weather. This had prompted the series to be changed to a six-match Twenty20 affair, which was approved by the ICC in June.

The PCB had however then approached Cricket Australia during the ICC's annual conference in Kuala Lumpur in the last week of June, putting forward a request to review the composition of the series once again. ESPNcricinfo understands that the series' broadcaster had objected to six Twenty20s for commercial reasons. The Australian board reportedly agreed in principle to the PCB's proposal, but would not sign off on the deal until it had discussed it with its players.

The series was initially scheduled to be played in Sri Lanka but Pakistan were forced to search for an alternate venue after Sri Lanka backed out of hosting it in May. The inaugural Sri Lanka Premier League is to be played in August, and clashed with the dates of the proposed Pakistan-Australia series, prompting Sri Lanka Cricket's decision to withdraw as hosts.
Sauce

Timbo

Staff member
ACA still not happy with it due to the heat. Cant say I blame them.

Why couldn't England have just hosted these?

Gas Panic!

First Grade
Squads named.

Don't agree with White, and Johnson doesn't need to be mentioned. Ferguson seems to be a bit of a rash selection based on 2009 form and poor batting in the England series. Maxwell exciting.

One-Day Internationals

Michael Clarke (c) (NSW)

David Warner (vc) (NSW)

George Bailey (TAS)

Dan Christian (SA)

Xavier Doherty (TAS)

Callum Ferguson (SA)

David Hussey (VIC)

Michael Hussey (WA)

Mitchell Johnson (WA)

Glenn Maxwell (VIC)

Clint McKay (VIC)

James Pattinson (VIC)

Steven Smith (NSW)

Mitchell Starc (NSW)

Matthew Wade (VIC)

T20 Internationals

George Bailey (c) (Stars)

Shane Watson (vc) (Sixers)

Dan Christian (Heat)

Pat Cummins (Scorchers)

Xavier Doherty (Hurricanes)

Ben Hilfenhaus (Hurricanes)

Brad Hogg (Scorchers)

David Hussey (Stars)

Michael Hussey (Scorchers)

Glenn Maxwell (Stars)

Clint McKay (Stars)

Mitchell Starc (Sixers)

Matthew Wade (Stars)

David Warner (Thunder)

Cameron White (Stars)

Timbo

Staff member
Glenn Maxwell? Really?

Phil Hughes should be in the ODI squad. Look how many runs he's scoring for Worcestershire.

And how Cam White snuck back through the back door I have no clue.

Gas Panic!

First Grade
I rate Maxwell for T20s .. ODI's a bit of a stretch for now. White has made a couple of 50's in recent matches in England.

Hughes for ODI's isn't a bad idea at all.

Ferguson made 70-odd about 9 months ago. Quick, rush him back, he's the saviour!

Earl

Coach
FMD

These selections are beyond sense.

Inverarity can f**k off. Bring back Andrew Hilditch.

Earl

Coach
Cameron White was dropped because of poor form?

I suppose he has filled his boots since then?

Bazal

Post Whore
Maxwell averages 25 with the bat and 38 with the ball in 14 games, clearly he's bashing the door down for Australia :roll: White is crap but it's only T20. I'm a Ferguson fan so I'm happy to see him back, but he's not really set the world on fire since his knee injury. I assume it's a selection born purely of the fact that our middle order is awful and he's done the job before.

White was one of the best bats in the IPL and carried form on to county T20. World T20 coming up in sub-continent, I got no problem with them going back to White now that he is back in form for T20.

Maxwell is bit of a speculative selection, but he's no worse than Steve Smith on recent form.

Last edited:

Hallatia

Referee
Kamran Akmal is returning to the Pakistan squad for this tour. I m not sure if it's for both formats or just the T20s though