What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

coote?

PinkPanther

Juniors
I personally love him, but man, lately it seems like he has lost all confidence. Use to be one of the best under the high ball, defence was great, and was all ways the one who caught the ball from bombs. But now... Terrible. Rumours are that he will be gone come next year. Right now he deserves to be dropped.

LeagueLegend

Juniors
He doesn't look interested enough. Being stepped like he was on Saturday night for the Tigers last try was embarrassing.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
We were behind the team as they warmed up on Saturday. The first bomb Walsh put up, a simple end over end bomb and Coote dropped it cold. He isn't focused and his confidence is shot.

mxlegend99

Referee
IMO he hasn't been the same player since he was injured in 2010. He has obviously played some solid footy since then, and even a few really strong games. But that to me was when he stopped progressing as a player.

Should never have kept his spot ahead of Michael Gordon at fullback, and honestly I would hope he doesn't keep it ahead of Mansour, Moylan or Moss if they show anything remotely decent at fullback. Let him try out for the halves, but if he fails there he has no spot in our first grade side... barring an incredible form turnaround and getting back on track to reaching the potential he had.

That said he's not a horrible player or anything like that. But there are some very promising blokes being held back by a player who seems to have peaked despite being young. I have no doubt it was his injury that caused it, but honestly that's not a good enough reason to stick with him at fullback if Mansour looks as good as Flash did, or if Moylan gets a shot and shows he is up to it.

chrisD

Coach
Not fast enough to be a NRL fullback, his future lies in another position or in another place. Hope some changes come now, this season is gone and trialling him at 7 and allowing another player a chance at fullback would be the best use of it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Our game plan doesn't suit him. We don't offload or bomb so he can't support. He is slow but it's not just that. He never runs to get a quick tap. Sadly he's not alone. I can count on 1 hand the consistant players this year.

Big Mick

Referee
He has been inconsistent but I thought last week he was one of our best.

The games against the Warriors & Titans were the worst I've seen him play but gradually the last few weeks he's been getting back to the form he showed at the start of the season.

But the amount of shit he cops...there is no way he deserves the type of crap I read on here, PI, FB & Twitter.

He isn't the reason we're losing games. The only game he is solely responsible for losing was the Titans game imo.

franklin2323

Immortal
Big Mick. Don't get me wrong he has plenty of mates out there struggling. If Kingston & co plug that gap Heighington doesn't get through. To not lay a hand on him when 1 on 1 is not acceptable. Add that to Lawrence beating him while seeming to jog.

Tighe & Walsh ( I find him ok, but not consistent) cop just as much. Those 3. Along with McKendry, Ciraldo, Newton & Burns (as a 5/8th) aren't playing to NRL standard. Yet injuries aside they are certainties to always play

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Unlike Ciraldo,Newton,Tighe,Walsh etc. Mckendry and Coote are on 400k+, that is where the problem is.

Panfas

Juniors
Yes he has had some average games this year (Tits game was a shocker I have to admit), but I think he has been far from our worst, and probably our best in many games. Bagging him for the Heighington try is just clutching at straws, did you actually see it? It was a good step. The Lawrence try also, he was flat footed up against one of the fastest in the game. I know you lot have a vendetta against Coote because he kept Gordon out of the FLB spot, but seriously give the guy a break

However, I do agree he has slowed in his progression and should be further in his career than he is now. The injury in '10 as mentioned was the catalist. Should he be dropped, no. Does he have pressure on his position at FLB, you betcha. Should he be trailed at 5/8? I think the time is right. I was against it last off season, but feel now could be the time

franklin2323

Immortal
Unlike Ciraldo,Newton,Tighe,Walsh etc. Mckendry and Coote are on 400k+, that is where the problem is.

Yeah. Don't get me wrong they try just are out of their depth. They are average & paid accordingly. Coote can't help being overpaid but when he's beaten so easily by a backrower. it's barely 1st grade quality let alone for an elite player to match the wage.

chrisD

Coach
Lawrence and Heighington laughing at him and rounding him like a statue are anything but straw clutching. He's lucky most the breaks mid season have been two on one and not exposed his horrible one on one coverage in open ground, it was regularly on show at the start of the season as it was on Saturday. Much too slow, every other NRL fullback makes a play on those two players, Coote is the only one who would not have got a hand on either.

Panther_Daz

Staff member
Coote and Moltzen would be the worst Fullbacks in the Comp.

Even Zillman is going pretty good now he is settled at Fullback.

Not to mention our Halves pairing is the worst and our hooker is about 10-12th best.

No wonder we sit 15th...

Copperhead

Juniors
Coote and Moltzen would be the worst Fullbacks in the Comp.

Even Zillman is going pretty good now he is settled at Fullback.

Not to mention our Halves pairing is the worst and our hooker is about 10-12th best.

No wonder we sit 15th...

Daz, you forgot our quality selection of second rowers ;-)

age.s

First Grade
Coote's problem will always be that he doesn't have the physical attributes for fullback. He's small and not particularly fast or elusive. To do well as a fullback without something special physically you have to be incredibly safe and skillful. Coote has really regressed in those areas, and it makes his lack of impact stand out. I get the sense he's not happy either (gave Burns a spray after giving him an inside ball that set him up for a one on one at the line), and when factoring in the amount of money he's on I wouldn't be too unhappy to see him go.

franklin2323

Immortal
Spot on Daz.

Kingston is very slow doesn't have enough scoots.

Walsh takes control well enough rarely does he not get it when it needs to go to him. The problem is some poor options. Rarely runs it. Great bomb rarely used. Decent short kicking game not the best at long kicks.

Burns is terrible always hogs never passes. Poor kicking game

Coote's on top of the poor games of late. Shows no urgency. Almost let Sio score in extra time. Dropped a ball against GC doesn't even chase. had some poor attempts at tackles of late. The Ryan Morgan was as bad as the 2 on the weekend.

Yet it looks like all 4 will stay in those positions next year. So more of the same.

Goldthorpe

Bench
I think the thing with Coote is that when he is bad he is bad but across the season he has been one of your best in my opinion.

He started the year off average, then stepped it up from Rounds 03 to 06, then tapered off then stepped up again in Rounds 11 and 12, then had two shockers after that, then stepped it up in Rounds 16 & 17 and was average in Round 19.

First Grade
anything to the rumour coote is now seeking a release from the Panthers?

Latest posts