What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flaw With New Finals System

Valheru

Coach
You can find flaw in both systems if you want to. The only perfect system would be a straight elimination scenario where 1 plays 8 and so forth with the grand final in the 3rd week. Obviously the NRL wants more games so they have a 4 week 9 game series.

The system being used this year is vastly superior to the old one and I am not sure how anyone can think different. I am too young to remember but if it’s true that the system originally got ditched to prevent 1 playing 2 in the prelim than that is ridiculous. If 1 or 2 is not good enough to win their 1st match than I would rather see them play in the prelim than not at all which was the McIntyre solution.

You don’t have to go far to see how ridiculous the McIntrye system is. Last year the Warriors who were 6th got flogged to the tune of 26 points by 3rd and were “punished” by having to face 4th the following week. 6th should never ever ever ever ever get a 2nd chance in any top 8 model, nor should 5th.

Flapper

First Grade
The f**king system should never have been changed in the first place. Bowing to a pack of butthurt morons having a sook when their apparently consistent teams lost all consistency when under the pressure of finals football and choked when they would've walked the equivalent game in the regular season.

BranVan3000

Coach
I like the new system, it rewards accomplishments in the regular season whereas the old system basically threw it out.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
I'm not sure the Bulldogs don't get an advantage in the OP scenario. They were rewarded by having the 2nd week off while the Storm were forced into an elimination semi.

God-King Dean

Immortal
Question: how did the Top 5 system work?

Neither the current, or McIntyre system is perfect - but no matter which, the team who finishes 5th always gets the roughest end of the stick.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Top 5:

Week 1:

Minor Premiers have the week off.

Game 1: 2nd plays 3rd (winner plays 1st, loser plays the winner of 4th v 5th)
Game 2: 4th plays 5th in a knockout

Week 2:

Game 1: Loser of Game 1 v Winner of Game 2
Game 2: Winner of Game 1 v Minor Premiers (winner has a week off and goes to the GF)

Week 3:

Final: Winner of Game 1 v Loser of Game 2 (winner through to GF)

Week 4: Grand Final

SharkShocked

Bench
Some would however argue that in today's game 2 weeks off in a 4 week period could be looked at as a negative rather than a positive.

People toss up opinions to suit their agendas all the time.

Play the game, win your matches. If our team ever wins a premiership believe me, after all these years, i couldn't give a f**k under what system we win it.

Card Shark

Immortal
Mcintyre is a better system. It is a shame that the first move by the new commission was a knee jerk reaction. The minor premiership is diluted further under this model. With more teams the minor premiers deserve a better reward.

Didn't mind the McIntyre system because teams were seeded for the finals based on 26 rounds of consistent footy.

Only time I didn't like it was say if team 7 beat team 2 in week 1 & got a home semi against team 4 or 5 the following week. If the kept the ranking in terms of home city advantage throughout the finals, that further rewards consistent footy over the season.

Honestly 95% of the whinge that happens with the finals is pretty much whinging for the sake of whinging. Stuff like saying you have to play team 3 instead of team 4 when it comes down to 4 teams is pretty pointless. If you are a fair dinkum threat to winning the whole thing it shouldn't matter. I was unhappy with the switch, as the McIntyre system favoured teams 1-2 and 5-6 while this new system favours teams 3-4 and 7-8.

firechild

First Grade
New system rewards teams 7/8 which is just f**king stupid. When Parra made the GF from 8th they had to beat all teams in the top 4 to win the comp. NowTeams 7 and 8 start with a relatively simple game. If both teams (5/8 or 6/7) are from Sydney then there isn't even a home ground advantage so the higher ranked team gets no advantage whatsoever.

BunniesMan

Immortal
New system rewards teams 7/8 which is just f**king stupid. When Parra made the GF from 8th they had to beat all teams in the top 4 to win the comp. NowTeams 7 and 8 start with a relatively simple game. If both teams (5/8 or 6/7) are from Sydney then there isn't even a home ground advantage so the higher ranked team gets no advantage whatsoever.
It doesn't reward 7th and 8th ffs. yes they play a worse team the first week but this way they then have to play a top 4 team away.

For 7th/8th it's easier in the first week but harder in the 2nd week.

lockyno1

Post Whore
This is the best system, honestly there is no 'good' system where you can come 4th for 26 rounds and be knocked out in Week 1. It is why this system is better

firechild

First Grade
It doesn't reward 7th and 8th ffs. yes they play a worse team the first week but this way they then have to play a top 4 team away.

For 7th/8th it's easier in the first week but harder in the 2nd week.

It may or maybe harder in the 2nd week. In both systems they'll most likely play a team in 3rd or 4th. If they're both NSW teams then there is no home ground advantage (Keep in mind it's likely that Souths, Canterbury, Manly, Cronulla and Wests or Newcastle will be in the 8) so how exactly is it more difficult unless they happen to draw one of the 3 non-NSW sides?

By increasing the odds of winning in week 1, it makes it easier to progress, therefore it is absolutely rewarding teams 7 and 8 with the new system.

WaznTheGreat

Referee
Meh who cares,if you want to win the Grand final if you have to beat the best and win under any circumstances and pressure

Danny-Boy

Juniors
The mcintyre system was, and will always be, the most pathetic way to run a finals system ever. Forget everything else that is wrong with it, the fact that losers were forced to rely on other games to determine their outcome in the system is the biggest joke of all.

BranVan3000

Coach

Sure there is, as we saw last year, manly fans don't travel so if they have to play any away game in Sydney they are at a disadvantage