What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Round Four :: Dragons v Ninjas

joshie

Live Update Team
jersey_dragons_1a.gif
-V-
jersey_ninjas_1.gif

Match Preview: It is the clash of the year so far, two very impressive teams are battling it out. Willow will try and keep the Dragons on top of the world, while Edabomb will look to get his charges to produce some winning form that they showed in 2011. This could very well end up the grand final fixture and both teams are out to prove their dominance.

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 3 reserves for home sides; + 2 for away)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

Kick Off: Monday 19th July 2012 (6:00pm AEDT)
Full Time: Sunday 29th July 2012 (Fulltime is at midnight)
Referee: Non Terminator
Venue: Kograh
315523_1_M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

gUt

Coach
Protect Ya Neck

Even the NRL’s critics and detractors admit that the game of rugby league is tough. The distilled toughness of rugby league has been investigated as an outer coating for use on the space shuttle, as a building material for use in earthquake prone cities and toothpaste manufacturers are looking into it.

The toughness of the game and the courage of the players are among the NRL’s appealing characteristics, especially to casual fans who perhaps thirst for the long-gone era when their own preferred sport was more gladiatorial in nature.

It’s often remarked that this is a double edged sword. Mrs Suburbia doesn’t want her precious Jonny Headgear to be ironed out by a Ben Te’o brain-snap (he calls his tackling technique “the Brainsnapper”), a Greg Inglis brick wall to the chin or a Nate Myles/Richard Villasanti ‘Gee That Looked A Lot Like A Flying Headbutt’ manoeuvre.

The chances of any of those players actually playing against Jonny aren’t great but parental instinct is strong and the thought of that kind of violence just doesn’t appeal. I know when my daughters are ready to play league I’ll be telling them about the old “take a cricket bat out there with you” trick I learned in Under 7’s. The lifetime ban was worth it – I was unstoppable that day.

So, a casual fan and a concerned parent will have a slightly different take on some of the tackles we’ve seen recently. Talk of banning the shoulder charge is in vogue once again. I can see the arguments from both sides. The ‘keep them’ camp says “Hey. It’s rugby league. The shoulder charge stays.” The ‘bin them’ camp says “Hey. It’s rugby league. The game is tough enough without them.”

Both sides cite the example of rugby union’s banning of the big hit. Says the anti-shoulder charge advocate: “You see? Union is still the same without it!” – the pro-shoulder charge advocate replies: “Exactly!”

Banning the shoulder charge is not going to stop head high tackles, especially accidental ones. But some of the impacts are truly frightening at times and if any player is ever permanently incapacitated by a shoulder charge you can bet rugby league will be the big loser.

“Why don’t all the players wear headgear” you definitely didn’t ask. Well, those bits of foam rubber aren’t much good except for protecting NRL players’ famous good looks and to hide a wingnut’s flapping ears. I won’t name names.

Helmets etc aren’t the answer either. There’s been recent research that shows the wearing of a helmet in the NFL actually encourages the use of the head as a weapon. If someone like Matt Utai came charging in with intent to use his considerable head as a weapon, just picture where he’d be striking. I think I’d rather have my face smashed in, thanks.

My solution was going to be to make use of recent advances in science. Why not coat a player’s head in the new Nano-material that allows light to pass through it? A player’s head becomes effectively invisible. He can then paint his face onto his chest and thus defending players will aim for that instead.

Great idea, you didn’t say. Well, it’s a rubbish idea you fool! Accidents will still happen.

Then it hit me – the answer has been there all this time: redefine. If we just took a moment to change the rule, the problem goes away. Define a high tackle as anything above the attacking player’s head.

It will work. Players don’t attempt a tackle by clumsily smiting the vacant space above an attacking player’s head, so the risk of a high tackle under the new rule is almost zero. Any tackles that hit a player in his face, head or neck are now legal, removing the need to penalise it or put it on report.

We can then spend our days worrying about the important issues of the code: whether we should get rid of the corner posts, the appropriateness of try scoring celebrations and whether Ryan James has ever been to the barbers.

681 words

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The Dragons bus rolls into Jubilee Avenue for the last time in 2012. Pristine JUBILEE OVAL is packed to the rafters. Tanner is champing at the bit, Slippery runs the length of the field, Hutty pratices his shoulder charges, EA puts boot to leather and Willow is just happy to be here. Looks like Fire, Juan and Godz will get first dibs on the esky.

ST GEORGE TEAM - ROUND 4, 2012
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Tanner Ave
Slippery Morris

Hutty1986
Everlovin' Antichrist
Willow
(c)

Reserves:
Fire
juanfarkall
Godz_Illa

Good luck one and all. :thumn

edabomb

First Grade
edabomb for the Ninjas

-----------------------------------------------

The Shady Back Alley

It was a dim April evening. Mr Pink had led his team to a successful couple of months. The team was promising this season, having won four of their first six encounters. The squad was young – but they had budding stars in key positions. Their spine was their strength. In the rugby league world the ‘spine’ had become a new buzz word – it consisted of the sides fullback, halfback, five eighth and hooker. These were essentially the positions that created the opportunities for the nine players around them – the spine took responsibility for the creativity, precision and accuracy of execution every side needed in the modern game.

While the team was travelling well on the surface – Mr Pink still doubted their ability to seriously challenge for a premiership. They were one piece away from truly joining the NRL’s elite – the position of question being hooker. They had signed a veteran hooker a season earlier hoping that he’d fill the gap – he had been solid throughout his career without really pushing on to any great heights. He’d done the job well in that first season – they’d snuck into the top eight that year. This year they needed something more though – they needed a threat from dummy half. Unfortunately with no salary cap room they would have to make do – and with a fairly lucrative season left on his contract they would probably have to put off any big plans.

By the middle of May it was obvious a change was needed. The team had dropped three in a row, with the hooker coming in for particular criticism. A young hooker was coming up through the ranks at a rival club who would be the way of the future thought Mr Pink. He’d be in some off field strife a few weeks ago and his club was looking to cut him loose – they already had a current rep player on the books and would loathe to commit a large amount of salary cap room to a fellow hooker. He rang Mr Brown – the club CEO - and asked him to meet him at the office at 11pm that evening.

They worked until 3am that night. Looking at the numbers and how they could squeeze the deal in. They’d heard the player was interested in staying in Sydney – something that encouraged them greatly. They couldn’t make the numbers work though. They had a set amount they were willing to invest in the hooker rotation for next season – an amount their current hooker covered seventy-five percent of.

Mr Brown had a thought. The scheme was a cunning one. They would sign the younger player on a three year deal that would push them over the cap for this season. They figured they’d have three or four weeks before the auditors came calling – they would pre-empt this. They’d admit to a gross miscalculation of their salary cap commitments within two weeks of him joining a club – they would graciously sit at the mercy of the NRL. They’d say a relaxed monitoring of incentives had pushed them over by around $100,000 - $120,000.

The true genius in the plan was the punishment. They’d seen Melbourne and the Bulldogs lose seasons based on similar indiscretions in recent times. These teams largely got to choose who they cut the following season. The difference was that these teams were competing for premierships when they got caught, Mr Pink’s team didn’t figure that to be the case for his side. His team would most likely be resigned to the wooden spoon when the punishment was dished out – but they’d also be in a position to be perennial contenders for at least the next five seasons. The previous punishments only extended to the end of the current season – sacrificing a seventh or eighth finish was a no-brainer.

The penalties were expected – and the proviso was dished out that the side had to come under the salary cap for the next season. Easily done thought Mr Pink and Mr Brown – we have an ageing hooker who is keen for a stint in England given his recent demotion to the interchange. The word was sent out – and by November the club had secured an English club that would take on the majority of the final year of the veteran’s contract. Mr Pink’s team could now forge ahead with the best young roster in Australia – all put together with the skill of a top NRL management group.

-----------------------------------------------

747 words in OWC

Last edited:
EA for Saints.

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Wests? Tigers.

The Wests Tigers are on the nose in the Macarthur area.

The support for the Wests Tigers in Macarthur has gone from a Tsunami in 2005 to a trickle in 2012. In 7 short years, the people in charge of the Wests Tigers have managed to disenfranchise one of the largest Rugby League nurseries on the planet.

But how did they do it, how did that come about?

It all comes down to one decision, one single “masterstroke” to change the whole Macarthur area from a Wests Tigers stronghold to an area that is blasé about the Wests Tigers. That decision was to take away games from Leichhardt and Campbelltown to firstly Stadium Australia then later to the Sydney Football Stadium.

Macarthur Wests Tigers fans were reasonably happy to split games with Leichhardt, it was part and parcel of the joint venture but they were less happy to split the games between 3 or 4 venues. The original 3-way split that came into effect in 2005, between Campbelltown, Leichhardt and Stadium Australia, was barely acceptable to Macarthur-based fans, but the move to the SFS has turned that rivulet of discontent into a fully fledged flood of disinterest.

Some statistics pulled from the Wests Tigers entire history, from 2000 onwards, make interesting reading;

58% of Wests Tigers matches at Campbelltown have involved a team from outside the Sydney area.

44% of Wests Tigers matches at Leichhardt have involved a team from outside the Sydney area.

But since the decision to take games away from Campbelltown and Leichhardt was made, those percentages have headed the wrong way;

Since 2005 63% of Wests Tigers matches at Campbelltown have involved a team from outside the Sydney area.

Since 2005 55% of Wests Tigers matches at Leichhardt have involved a team from outside the Sydney area.

Added to those statistics are the following facts;
  • The Wests Tigers have never played Manly, South Sydney or Parramatta at Campbelltown.
  • The Wests Tigers have played Canterbury and the Roosters once each at Campbelltown since 2005.
  • Of the 10 matches played against Sydney-based teams since 2005, 4 of those matches, or 40% were against one team, Penrith.
  • The Wests Tigers have played the Canberra Raiders 5 times at Campbelltown since 2005.
  • 1/3 of all matches played by the Wests Tigers at Campbelltown since 2005 have been played against either Penrith or Canberra.
Leichhardt isn’t immune to this sort of arranging either, with Canterbury never having played at Leichhardt since the Wests Tigers came into being and Brisbane, Parramatta and St George Illawarra not having graced the Leichhardt turf since prior to 2005.

On the plus side, Parramatta is set to make their Wests Tigers Campbelltown debut later this season. But don’t hold your breath in anticipation of that becoming an annual event. History shows that it is very unlikely to continue with the Wests Tigers, at the end of this season, having “granted” 5 different teams the honour of playing at Campbelltown only once since 2005.

Macarthur, like other reasonably new areas has split allegiances when it comes to NRL teams. Even though there is a majority of NRL fans who follow the Tigers, the support for other Sydney-based teams is, in some cases like Canterbury, quite substantial.

There is good support for most other Sydney-based NRL teams because a large amount of Macarthur residents were brought up in older areas of Sydney and moved to Macarthur to raise their family simply because it’s cheaper to purchase a house in the Campbelltown area than it is in almost any area east of Campbelltown. That means that potential fans are being ignored as well as fans that’ve been a part of the joint venture since day one. They won’t ever be regulars at Campbelltown whilst 3 games per year are played there with, statistically speaking, Canberra and Penrith likely to be two of the three opponents.

It’s obvious that like a Labor politician, Wests Tigers management doesn’t understand their constituents and are taking them for granted. Macarthur people aren’t inner west residents who don’t mind a quick trip into the city for a Football game, Macarthur people mind because it’s more like a day trip than a quick trip. They also mind that games given to Campbelltown are, generally, against the same teams over and over again.

Like it or lump it, fix the scheduling at Campbelltown or watch Macarthur wither and die as a Wests Tigers area.

741 words, including title.

Last edited:

Hutty1986

Immortal
Hutty1986 joins the fray for the Dragons..

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

Chaaaaaarge!

206130-greg-inglis.jpg

I love the shoulder charge, I want to make that clear from the very start. A perfectly executed, legal shot not only gets the fans out of their seats, it can fire up your team-mates and motivate them to even greater heights.

In short, a good one is a bloody beauty. But as we saw last weekend and on a few different occasions this year, a bad one can have dire consequences. On Saturday August 21 at ANZ Stadium, South Sydney star Greg Inglis sent Dragons lock Dean Young into orbit with a devastating shoulder charge gone wrong. Now even though he’s a State Of Origin turncoat, I admire the unique combination of speed and power that GI is blessed with. The Souths custodian can burn you with his pace and footwork and if he doesn’t do that, his fend can send you spiralling.
For a man with such imposing strength and physical capabilities, his shot on Young was not only high, it was a low act.

Reading the League Unlimited forums has been an interesting and eye-opening experience since the clash, with opinions varying from disgust at the shot to a few even claiming it was just a ‘good Rugby League tackle.’ I openly admit I was calling for an extended holiday for the Rabbitohs fullback from the very start and watching what happened several times since has only reinforced my opinion. Before proceedings came to a head at the judiciary last Wednesday night, neither club shied away from telling the media their thoughts on the matter.

So it was off to NRL headquarters for the final verdict and as it turned out, the judiciary didn’t think the attempted shoulder charge was as bad as they first thought; so a possible five-week suspension was downgraded to three. The Bunnies claimed they were hard-done-by and the world kept on spinning. As a passionate Dragons supporter, I was disappointed, but with GI not being sent off during the game it doesn’t make a whole lot of difference to us. What concerns me is that time after time, the judiciary is getting it wrong.

Ask young Tigers prop Matt Groat how he felt about the shoulder charge after being wiped out by Brisbane’s Ben T’eo earlier this season. I wonder if Penrith winger David Simmons enjoyed the concussion he suffered when big Bulldog Franky Pritchard belted him. We are talking about fit, strong, massive athletes running at full-pace here; this is why RL is the greatest game of all. The confrontation, the gladiatorial impacts make our sport so thrilling to watch. When it’s good it’s great, but when things go awry, the cheers die down and players end up in neck braces and medi-cabs.

Dean Young has been named to play this weekend but if Saints officials clear him, it will be one hell of a risky move. Rumour has it that Youngy implored the trainer to “tell Browny to get me back on.” Browny is Nathan Brown, I’m sure you’ve heard of him. Sandy-haired former hooker who last coached the Red V in 2008. While the club claims the veteran forward hasn’t had any headaches or lasting effects from the nasty hit, I’m not so convinced.
Meanwhile, Greg Inglis now has a few weeks off to ensure his fitness is at its absolute peak for Souths’ finals charge and the smirk on his face remains. Ask any of the family or friends of players hit by illegal, head-high shoulder charges and they’ll tell you of the terror they felt when their loved one hit the turf, lying motionless as the trainers arrive on the scene.

Compare some of the sickening incidents witnessed this year to one of the all-time great shoulder charges; Sonny Bill Williams’ huge bump on Chris Flannery in the 2004 grand final. This was legal, this was perfectly timed and this brought the crowd to their feet. That was tough. Belting a bloke who was looking the other way with a fierce shoulder to the head is not.

So I implore you NRL, please keep the shoulder charge in our game; but start imposing some harsher suspensions on players who get them wrong. Because the next time it happens, a sore melon and a knock-on might not be the least of the victim’s worries. Next time, they could be the ones being sent home in a wheelchair.

For the wives, the girlfriends, the mothers and the fathers. Let’s play tough, not dirty.

* Photo courtesy of www.news.com.au

750 words (including references) on the OWC.

jamesgould

Juniors
For the ninjas.

On Comes the Touch Judge!

I walked into the bar and took a quick look around. There weren’t many seats available, but a stool at the bar sung out to me. After the long, hard day I’d had, I happily trudged my way towards it.

“What you after, mate?” the barman asked.

“Tooheys New thanks mate.” I replied.

“Huh!” an equally weary figure next to me suddenly snarled, “I remember when Tooheys New actually was new!”

“Oh ... really?” I replied, unenthused. After my day, I was happy just to have a quiet beer and watch a bit of the footy that was playing on the small tv bolted into the wall above the bar. For some reason, I had the feeling this guy wasn’t going to let me. He was in his later years, perhaps the wrong side of 60. He had a bald head and somewhat worn features, but apart from that, was unremarkable.

“Yeah, those were the days, mate.” He leaned in towards the telly. “Oh, come on!” he bellowed.

“Not going well for your side, I take it?” I reluctantly asked.

“Side? Me?” he asked, “I don’t have a team. I was yelling at the touchie.”

I couldn’t resist digging a little deeper, even though I could tell I was going to regret starting him off on a rant that he was obviously liking forward to. “The touchie, what did he do wrong?” I asked.

“Did you see the video ref intervene on that high tackle just then?” he asked.

“Yeah, looked like a penalty.” I responded.

“Ten years ago, the touch judge would have come on for that. In my day, the touch judge couldn’t wait to get on the field. They watch the on-field action like a hawk. A high tackle like that? Absolute bread and butter. Let me ask you something, when was the last time you remember the touch judge impacting a game?”

I had to think ... it had been a while. “Well, I guess apart from their terrible decisions on forward passes which we put up with every week,” (He snorted, derisively), “it would be when that touch judge waved his flag the wrong way after a conversion!”

The old timer’s face suddenly went red, and I could tell I’d struck a raw nerve. “That muppet doesn’t even deserve to call himself a touch judge! In my day, the touch judge’s concentration for a conversion would be so intense, you would see beads of sweat rolling down their face. When I saw that chap laugh about his mistake, I almost spat out my beer!”

“You see, in my days,” he continued, “touch judges had an important role. We’d watch the game with the attention of a knife-thrower. Any indiscretion of any type, and by god we’d be on the field quicker than you could Mark Geyer.”

“It all started going downhill when they introduced those walkie talkies into our flags. Didn’t want us coming on-field and holding the game up anymore! Unbelievable ... that was the highlight of the day for all the kiddies! So we said bugger it ... we might say ‘something’s up’ through the mike, but we’d come racing on to give our report anyway.”

“We had all the power back then, too. Miniscule infringement 75 metres back? We’d come on two minutes later and tell the ref to go back and award a penalty! Back he’d go ... used to piss those refs off no end.” he sniggered.

We went back to watching the game for a while. Soon enough, a try decision was sent upstairs.

“In-goal judge could have ruled on that instantly.” the old man blurted out.

“Yeah, but they weren’t infallible.” I replied.

“And the video ref is?! That’s the problem ... you young lot wouldn’t know. We’ve lost the human touch. Send it up to the video ... technology ... that’s the answer for everything these days. Well I’ll tell you something for nothing, somewhere along the way we forgot about the people. People are what’s important ... and touch judges were the best damn people I’ve ever met!”

With that, he abruptly stood up and marched out of the bar, seemingly having regained the spring in his step he had twenty years ago.

The barman came over and asked if I wanted another.

“Yeah, sure. Hey, who was that guy I was just talking to?” I enquired.

“Him? Well that was Martin Weekes ... the finest damn touch judge who ever walked the planet!”

743 words.

Tanner Ave

Juniors
savouring every moment at home for the last time;
Tanner for St George

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

A salary cap Dynasty

I remember some time in the late 1980s walking into Jubilee Oval. That day it was raining, cold and miserable. I went through the good old turnstile, with a little help from my dad. My eyes were fixated on the ground. I wasn't watching where I was going, I just wanted to see the ground. The reserves were playing, I didn’t care I just wanted to see the Red V.

“Tanner, watch where you're going!” Dad yelled.

But it was too late, as a young whipper snapper I found those flags on the left of the “grand” stand far too mesmerizing. I landed in one of the bigger puddles.

Finally we found a wet seat. Dad unloads the chips he bought for me on the way in and he proceeded to knock off his amber liquid.

“Now listen.” Dad starts. “It’s the Broncos today.”

“We need to …”

“...and if we…”

“...then we should win!”

I couldn’t remember what my father was talking about, all I could think about was how good those Broncos were. They were the world-beaters, them and the Tigers. They seemed unbeatable; both teams were lined with internationals, both played great football. But here one of them were about to play my team in my back yard! I couldn't be more excited, as a kid you want your team to win every time, but I knew deep down how hard it would be.

I can't remember much from that day. We weren’t allowed on the ground after fulltime. I also recall Wally Lewis scoring late in the game to put the match beyond doubt. He slid in from what seemed the 22 metre line because there was so much mud on the ground. The Bronco dynasty got us that day.

Dynasty, a word that seems extinct in the current environment. The idea that a club could build strength and compete at the top level for successive years, or demolish itself and struggle for successive years. Either way they have a dynasty.

When your team is in a successful dynasty you enjoy every moment, because it ebbs and flows, so you make sure that you grab the memorabilia and put the pictures up on the wall behind the bar.

When your team is in an unsuccessful dynasty you go to games with more hope than expectation. You look through the reserves hoping to see a glimmer of hope for the future. More importantly, you hang onto that day when players begin to start to sign contracts. You pray that your club could land a big name player, someone that could start to lead the team in the right direction.

Dynasty produced styles, attacking teams, defensive teams and aggressive teams. Dynasties don’t move with the trends, they set the trends. That is why people were able to talk about different styles of football, which players could fit well into certain teams and which couldn't. Even though my dad knew more about soccer then football, he still had an opinion about our strengths and their weaknesses.

For better or worse, dynasties have been killed by the salary cap. Every team plays the same style these days, hit ups, cross field kicks and the occasional bit of brilliance from an individual.

Unfortunately today, the only dynasties that we have are ones built on cheating, greco roman wrestling and good negotiation skills when it comes to player contracts. There is a pattern for success no matter who you are, Melbourne have found it, they are able to achieve success no matter what players line up for them.

The Bulldogs only two years ago had the makings of a bad dynasty. This year however they are premiership favorites by a long shot. Games have become less about two different teams competing against each other and more about who can hold the ball for longer.

So all that in mind, going to the modern game presents a different scenario.

Nowadays, Tanner comes through an electric gate with his kids.

The feeling of being at Jubilee is the same. But as I down my amber liquid, all I have to offer my kids is, “we need to hold the ball and if we tackle, we will win this.”

Sure, the salary cap has evened out the comp. But is that what we really want? Because I tell you now, one of the more satisfying things as a fan is beating a team that you have no right to beat.

749 word count including title

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Willow | St George
Words | 750
jersey_dragons_1a.gif

The Tom Ugly Divide

250px-Tom_ugly_bridge.jpg

So when did the sibling rivalry between St George and Cronulla begin? It must have simmering away for years, right?

Well, no...

Tom Ugly's Bridge was built in 1929. It has a span of 500m, linking St George to Sutherland. The origins of Tom Ugly are unclear. Plenty of theories but no one really knows. My theory is that he was a 1920s Rugby League hooker. Take one look at Tom Ugly's Point on the St George side and you'll see the cauliflower remnants and a craggy face that only a mother could love.

In any case, the bridge was an engineering marvel. It joined St George to everything south and helped expand the footprint of Rugby League. This included Sutherland and the Illawarra. In those days St George were the Sutherland Shire's local team.

Fast forward to 2012 and the sibling rivalry between Dragons and Sharks fans is common knowledge. Geographically linked by the mighty Bridge, the two supporter districts are just a stone's throw from each other.

Let's get a handle on this...

'Big brother' is St George. Established in 1921, the Dragons proudly lay claim to 16 premierships including 11 consecutive premierships between 1956-1966. 'Little brother' is Cronulla. Established in 1967, the Sharks reside at the Puberty Blues end of the Sutherland peninsular. They have zero premierships and have spent most of their existence just battling to survive.

In 1967, the Cronulla-Sutherland DRLFC entered the NSWRL. According to legend, Cronulla were brought in to stop St George's premiership run. But the facts don't really back this up.

If you think St George were dead against Cronulla's admission into the first grade, think again. On the contrary, big brother helped little brother. St George champions Norm Provan and Monty Porter became inaugural coach and captain. Porter also became Cronulla's Club Secretary (aka CEO) in 1968. Plus there's anecdotal evidence that St George provided financial support or 'weekend loans' to help the fledgling club in the 1960s and 1970s. According to one trusted insider, it was a case of, "respected Rugby League men helping each other."

So it was all nice and cosy in the boardrooms.

On the field, the Sharks were wooden spooners in 1967 and 1969. St George would regularly deliver footballing lessons. Between 1967-1972, Saints won 11 of the first 12 meetings. I know what you're thinking, this was the seed of resentment in Cronulla? Well there's nothing to back this up. The local derbies saw more red than blue in the crowd and St George supporters were blissfully unaware of any 'threat' living next door.

In 1973, the Sharks 'came of age', making the grand final. But the two tribes were still talking. If anything, it was a celebration in both districts. After Saints' elimination from the semi-finals, a number of Dragons fans loaned their support to Cronulla.

So nothing to see here... we'll have to look further afield...

The 1980s hinted at some seeds of discontent. After Cronulla were bailed out of the financial mire by the NSWRL, medico-gad-about-town Geoffrey Edelsten unsuccessfully tried to buy them. The League wasn't impressed. But the kindred spirit was still alive with some Saints supporters purchasing Sharks Club memberships to 'help out'.

Alas, we enter the 1990s... into Super League territory... and Cronulla official Peter Gow.

The catalyst was in 1995. The NSWRL/ARL and big brother St George were ultimately betrayed. Gow wanted 51% of a proposed Super League 'franchise'. Saints said no and Cronulla turned their back on family. Using News Limited money, they were part of a failed movement to have the Dragons scratched from the competition.

For Cronulla, it was just business. Tired of financial stress and being perrenial losers. Perhaps, they were simply tired of being called 'little brother'. After three decades with nothing to show, maybe they just wanted to become a threat.

In 1999, frustrations boiled over at Sharks Leagues Club when an inebriated Gow took to a young Saints supporter with scissors, cutting into his Dragons jersey. St George legend Barry Beath intervened only to be punched in the face by Gow. A Dragons debutant in 1966, Beath was witness to Provan being the Sharks first coach, and well aware of the support provided by St George in those early days.

After that, there was no turning back.

It was as if Gow had set fire to Tom Ugly's Bridge, creating a divide between the two districts that could never be extinguished.

It was ugly alright.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Slippery Morris / St George

jersey_dragons_1a.gif

MOST SKILLFUL CODE

In all my memory of following sports I cannot remember hearing of any AFL players switching to play another code like Rugby League or Rugby Union. If some players did move across there must not have been too many headlines and if a player joined he definitely did not earn more dollars than the stars of the game during that period.

There have been a few Rugby Union players move to Rugby League and made a success of it. One of my favourite players was Scott Gourley. He was brilliant in both codes. There may have been a few that made good coin from the move but they were not the highest paid from the word go. From memory there were a few players that got approached by Rugby League but they chose to stay as Rugby Union does have International appeal unlike AFL so you can understand their decision. I have never heard of a Rugby Union player moving to AFL. I can’t think of any so I may be wrong but if I am wrong I am pretty sure he would not have been big news or on big dollars.

When it comes to the NRL we have players who have recently been recruited to AFL which caused huge headlines. They were paid big dollars to play in teams that were not even in the current competition. They were paid more than a star of the game to sit for a year and learn the game.
Whilst Israel Folau may be struggling, Karmichael Hunt seems to be getting better each game and played a huge role in the team’s victory the other day.

In Rugby Union, the NRL had Lote Tuquiri, Wendell Sailor and Matt Rogers to name a few move to the code on big dollars. These guys later came back to the NRL to finish their careers. Sonny Bill Williams is in the process or following suit. This also indicates that these moves were not made as a good opportunity to play a different code but to help them financially set up for the future as there was more money being offered at the time. They all played huge roles in their teams whilst playing Rugby Union and even went on to represent the Wallabies. The NRL have had iconic players like Andrew Johns and Darren Lockyer knock back huge sums of money to stay in the NRL which goes to show how much they loved playing Rugby League and why they are being touted as future Immortals.

This just shows how skilful the players are in the NRL. To be able to play a code that requires so much skill to make it big and then easily slot into to a different code and get paid huge dollars equivalent to what the stars are earning is very rare. It’s like in the US a player like LeBron James switching from Basketball to the NFL or Ice Hockey. That is simply unheard of.

The AFL honestly sees this as a great strategy to recruit players from Rugby League and pay them big dollars. They feel it will get heaps of publicity and put them on the map in Sydney. In the short term they do achieve this, it does make fans curious but surely it also gives the NRL good advertising.

If Karmichael Hunt is a success the fans will ask:

“Where has this guy been all these years?”

“How long has he played this game?”

“If he is that good, how many other great players are playing Rugby League?”

“I might watch Rugby League to see if there are any others like him!”

Better still, how easy is the AFL if a guy who plays NRL can come over and become a star in 5 minutes? How are the stars of the AFL feeling? All the years perfecting their game to become a professional and to make it to the top and this guy who plays NRL comes over and in five minutes is earning more than them.

The NRL is a rare game that has a bit of everything in terms of skill whether it be kicking, tackling, sidestepping past opponents, catching high bombs etc. One thing that makes it harder is you have less time to think and you have to think fast to achieve best results.

Once you have achieve these skills in the greatest game of all, then it is easier to make the move to another code.

Words : 750

Last edited:

TooheysNew

Coach
CobyDelaney for the Ninjas

The Man from Bogan River

Note: Don't try to apply a specific situation to this manipulation of Banjo's tale - just enjoy the story for what it is...

There was anger round the mountains's foot, for word had come to hand
That the kid from way out west had left the farm,
And had joined the latte drinkers - he was worth 300 grand,
So all the experts had gathered 'round the bar.
Not the tried and noted tricks, like free boats nor a car
Ever swayed his determined mind away,
For some glory comes from money and the status of a star,
For other men none of this has any sway.

** MONTHS EARLIER **

There was Jackson, who took paycuts when the team was in a rut,
Less money so he wouldn't have to go;
But few men would stand beside him when the team went belly up.
Deflecting to where the money'd freely flow.
The Old Boys from the years gone by spoke of passion and of pride,
Emotion etched upon their weathered face,
Pits in stomachs, choked up throats, hurting like a wounded child,
Shocked at their beloved club's fall from grace.

But one man was there, a young man, a small and weedy beast,
He was something like Uate undersized,
With a touch of teenage confidence - three parts talent at least,
And such as are by debutants prized.
He was quick and skilled and nimble - in attack this kid could fly -
Leaving defenders standing scratching heads;
And he bore the badge of brashness in his bright and fiery eye,
Touch of arrogance and airs about his head.

But still so slight and weedy, one would doubt how strong he stood,
And the experts said "That boy will never do
It's a long and tiring season - lad, you'd do no good
Those props are far too rough for such as you."
So he waited sad and wistful - only the Coach stood his friend -
"I think we ought to try him out," he said;
"I'd say he'll prove it to us when the game is at it's end,
And think of the defences that he'll shred.

"He hails from way out west," he said "and of just one thing i'm sure,
All those country boys grow up tough out there,
Amongst the flint stones on the field, footy's more like all out war,
Week in, week out for battle each man must prepare,
Knowing what awaits them out there, each man has his own approach,
And the props are rougher than you've ever met
I have heard many promises since I first began to coach,
But I haven't seen much tougher yet.

So he got his chance - started against the biggest team around,
Forward after forward raced towards him with menace,
As their captain gave his orders, "Boys, we'll put him on the ground,
His side-step's no use to him in defence."
But this boy he bent and belted them, knocked them down left and right,
Tackled hard, hit low, without a missed beat,
For never yet was a winger that could handle so much fight,
And yet still keep springing to his feet.

Then this boys turn came to wheel them - he was racing on the wing
Where the fittest and the fastest take their place,
Yet he stepped and jinked right past them, and he made their eardrums ring,
As he passed them With his blistering turn of pace.
They were shocked just for a moment, while he stepped and ducked and weaved,
But they heard the vocal crowd all roar,
And they charged at him with venom, and a sharp and sudden dash,
And hit him with numbers, one, two, three, four.

But up then came his team mates', and the crowd, in teal and black,
Responded to the thunder of their tread,
They rose to their feet, and their cheers and screams resounded back,
Thirteen men and this boisterous crowd, led,
Upward, forward and upward, as the young man led his troops,
Across nine white stripes towards their shared goal,
And the experts shrugged, perplexed, unsure, and cowered in their suits,
As the weedy beast led them from their hole.

joshie

Live Update Team
Guess who is on the field?

To Tomahawk or not to Tomahawk

It was an amazing thing for the rugby league world when the Americans qualified alongside Italy for their debut World Cup. The Yanks were, had been, and still are very excited.
So why then are the USA Tomahawks halving their potential?
In a similar position to the National Rugby League, in regards to Australia and their English-based players, the American National Rugby League (AMNRL) has decided to disallow players from the USA Rugby League (USARL) competition from playing in the 2013 World Cup.
I think this has a lot to do with the bitterness of the split and the fact that AMNRL boss David Niu runs both.
Australia can afford to halve their talent across the two competitions, but America simply can’t.
They are almost shooting themselves in the foot. Some of their best players could be playing in the USARL competition right now, but they will always be overlooked.
What confuses me and upsets me most is that players in Australia are eligible, but some of their home-grown and American-born talent are not.
The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) had this to say about their organisation on their website:
“The RLIF is responsible for the laws of the game, the development, organisation and governance of rugby league internationally, and for the sport’s major international tournament, the rugby league World Cup.”
So if this board is in place to help develop, organise and govern international rugby league, why is it refusing to step in?
It is completely unfair and unjust for an international squad to be picked from one American competition, and even Australia, but not another because of politics.
We want to build our game and make it one of the dominant forces in the sporting world and let it not fall into the laughing-stock category.
In such a commercial age this should not be happening. It is not a good look.
In recent times, both the AMNRL and USARL have been meeting up to discuss viable options for a merger, or even to continue the two competitions under the one banner. But they have seemingly been getting nowhere. Why is it so hard for two league bodies to create one, for the better of the game.
Americans love the sport, they love everything about it. To them it is basically NFL mixed in with a little bit of UFC; two of the US’s biggest sports. The officials on both sides of the fence need to wake up and realize that fact.
Imagine if the two bodies come together tomorrow, what would become of rugby league over in the united states? Personally, I think we would see a tremendous growth in market and the attitudes towards the sport would be very positive. Many would get right behind it and there could actually be locals travelling to England to watch the world cup.
With the player pool being doubled, this automatically gives them access to better and possibly more proficient players, they could possibly be a force to be reckoned with at the cup.
Even if they were not overly successful, it would be a step in the right direction for the nation and Rugby League, they would be able to build towards a successful future.
There has to be some recognition of the greatness they could achieve by the two bosses, but somehow I think ego and hatred will rule. Rugby league has this strange habit of hurting itself. Once it does something right, the sport manages to ruin it by self-imploding. Whether or not that be through human fault or just a natural occurrence, it needs to be avoided if ever possible.
Weighing up all of these arguments, it is clear that the 2013 Rugby League World Cup is going to be spectacular and exciting; the English are going to throw one hell of a party.
Too bad America won’t be there, but at least the AMNRL Tomahawks will be.

Ninjas

gUt - Protect Ya Neck
Good read pointing out the pros and cons of banning the shoulder charge. Interesting read, covering plenty despite a shorter word count.

edabomb - The Shady Back Alley
An example of a shady deal, never know how true it may be. Points for originality.

jamesgould - On Comes The Touch Judge!
I googled Martin Weekes. Found a lifesaver. Confused the hell out of myself.
Interesting little conversation, I love those "in my day" arseholes, especially if they're right. Or drunk.

CobyDelaney - The Man From Bogan River
I've tried stuff like this before, so I admire the hell out of the effort. Very clever.

Joshie - To Tomahawk Or Not To Tomahawk
This only touches the surface of the controversy, it doesn't seem like the point hits as much as it should.

Dragons

Everlovin' Antichrist - Wests? Tigers.
Very well researched, getting your point across extremely well.

Hutty1986 - Chaaaaaarge!
It was really hard to copy that title.
Interesting idea, and definitely a piece you feel emotional about. Bias is always good, you will always have it. It flowed well, good read.

Tanner Ave - A Salary Cap Dynasty
Interesting read, flowed well. Enjoyed it.

Willow - The Tom Ugly Divide
Well researched, well written. A gift to give so much within this word limit.

Slippery Morris - Most Skillful Code
An interesting read, but watch out for those little errors, this includes spelling player's names correctly (Mat not Matt, Tuqiri not Tuquiri) as pedantic as it may sound.

Dragons 428
Ninjas 423

POTM Willow/EA

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Many thanks ref and well played Ninjas. Great reads all round. Best of luck in the semis. :thumn

Fantastic effort Saints, our last home game at Kogarah for the year and we came away with a crowd pleaser. Congrats all round. :clap:

edabomb

First Grade
Congrats StG (or maybe even GST). Great work across the board, hopefully we will meet again in the finals!

Thanks for the marking and comments NT. Also appreciate the quick turnaround at this stage of the season.

Great effort Ninjas. See you all in the clubroom for next round planning!