What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Central Coast Bears, 2013.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bears push case as match sell-out looms

THE Central Coast Bears will be out in force again at Friday night's clash between South Sydney and Manly at Bluetongue Stadium to push their case for a National Rugby League franchise.
Bears chief executive Greg Florimo has been pushing for a meeting with ARL Commission chairman John Grant, as he believes time is running out to secure expansion in time for the 2015 season. He hoped for a decision on expansion one way or another after the finalisation of the game's new media deal, but thinks it won't necessarily be a black-and-white decision.
While next year was the Bears' original preferred expansion season, circumstances forced its move to 2015. Florimo feels a decision would give a "yes", "no", or "not right now" response. But he isn't sure whether the Bears could move their own goalposts again to 2017.
"It would be something for the board to decide and the fans to decide," the former North Sydney Bears star said.
The likelihood of a sell-out for tonight's game adds weight to the Bears' claim that they would pack out the stadium for each of their home matches.
Ticket sales have been tracking higher for this match than for last season's Manly-Wests Tigers Friday night clash, which attracted a sell-out crowd of 20,059.
Stadium officials encourage patrons to book tickets to avoid disappointment.
Bears faithful will be there for the public start of their interactive online seating module. Supporters of the red and black are then encouraged to watch the match together in Bay 14.

http://express-advocate-wyong.whereilive.com.au/sport/story/bears-push-case-as-match-sell-out-looms/

Gates open tomorrow night at 5pm, with Toyota Cup at 5.20pm and first grade at 7.35pm. Tickets are available at Ticketek.

Last edited:

Perth Red

Post Whore
Great crowd tonight. One thing I do wonder when I see crowds like tonight's is how many of the 80% of the crowd in sth's and manly gear would support the cc bears if they came in? Would people switch or support bears as a second team?

Goddo

Bench
Florimo feels a decision would give a "yes", "no", or "not right now" response. But he isn't sure whether the Bears could move their own goalposts again to 2017.
"It would be something for the board to decide and the fans to decide," the former North Sydney Bears star said.
So, just clarifying... is he saying that if expansion is pushed further back the Bears may not be able/willing to bid?

Beowulf

Juniors
Great crowd tonight. One thing I do wonder when I see crowds like tonight's is how many of the 80% of the crowd in sth's and manly gear would support the cc bears if they came in? Would people switch or support bears as a second team?

Thats the big question, isn't it. I'll give a rundown on my experience there last night.

The crowd was incredible. Between 5.45-7.15 there was torrential rain, a 70km wind off the snowy mountains - felt like 3 deg max. I was there in the deluge, directing Bears fans (going to where our bay was going to be in bay 14) to where our stall was hurriedly relocated to (under the western grandstand). At one stage we feared only 12K might turn up, but they poured out of the Leagues club next door just before kick-off. Stands were full, exposed northern end only 1/4 full (understandably).

THe crowd was a mix I estimate of: 20-25% travelling Souths fans, 15-20% travelling Manly fans, balance (around 60%) Central Coast residents. Of these, I'd estimate nearly half supported either Manly or Souths (in pretty equal proportion), and the rest just turned up as neutrals to watch a game of NRL....so your pretty spot on about the numbers supporting both teams.

There has been research done (its part of the bid doc I'm sure) to indicate most RL fans on the Coast will either support the CC Bears as their first team, their second team, or at worst, go to the game as a neutral. The CC Bears will most importantly bring new fans to the game, as the mariners have brought new fans to soccer - a local team of any flavour will attract people willing to support their community team. The same I concede would happen with any bid team.

The best news for the Bears (aside from Sterlo's glowing endorsement of the bid on TV) is that the kids on the Coast are overwhelming in favour of the Bears bid due to the longevity of the bids presence on the Coast. They don't have the hangups of some of their parents and are the future of the bid. I was wearing my Bears shirt and walked around the inside of the ground just before kickoff and was mobbed/cheered by screaming kids all screaming out 'go the Bears', giving high fives etc...gives one a lot of heart and hope for the future.

bender

Juniors
Thats the big question, isn't it. I'll give a rundown on my experience there last night.

The crowd was incredible. Between 5.45-7.15 there was torrential rain, a 70km wind off the snowy mountains - felt like 3 deg max. I was there in the deluge, directing Bears fans (going to where our bay was going to be in bay 14) to where our stall was hurriedly relocated to (under the western grandstand). At one stage we feared only 12K might turn up, but they poured out of the Leagues club next door just before kick-off. Stands were full, exposed northern end only 1/4 full (understandably).

THe crowd was a mix I estimate of: 20-25% travelling Souths fans, 15-20% travelling Manly fans, balance (around 60%) Central Coast residents. Of these, I'd estimate nearly half supported either Manly or Souths (in pretty equal proportion), and the rest just turned up as neutrals to watch a game of NRL....so your pretty spot on about the numbers supporting both teams.

There has been research done (its part of the bid doc I'm sure) to indicate most RL fans on the Coast will either support the CC Bears as their first team, their second team, or at worst, go to the game as a neutral. The CC Bears will most importantly bring new fans to the game, as the mariners have brought new fans to soccer - a local team of any flavour will attract people willing to support their community team. The same I concede would happen with any bid team.

The best news for the Bears (aside from Sterlo's glowing endorsement of the bid on TV) is that the kids on the Coast are overwhelming in favour of the Bears bid due to the longevity of the bids presence on the Coast. They don't have the hangups of some of their parents and are the future of the bid. I was wearing my Bears shirt and walked around the inside of the ground just before kickoff and was mobbed/cheered by screaming kids all screaming out 'go the Bears', giving high fives etc...gives one a lot of heart and hope for the future.

Given the bit in bold, would it be fair to suggest that Central Coast fans, might actually support a Northern Eagles relocation, as those figures done seem to suggest the level of hate is the same as it used to be or is often suggested.

Perth Red

Post Whore

Cheers, yes the next generation will be critical to attract for a CC Bears team I think. Hard to see died in the wool Manly, Souths, Knights fans etc going to support the Bears due to the historic rivalary and hatred.

Beowulf

Juniors
Given the bit in bold, would it be fair to suggest that Central Coast fans, might actually support a Northern Eagles relocation, as those figures done seem to suggest the level of hate is the same as it used to be or is often suggested.
I couldn't see any team ending in Eagles being popular on the Coast by anyone other than Sea Eagles fans. Thats not having a go at the Sea Eagles, but just a fact that the Bears have made the CC their territory and no other NRL team could successfully relocate there in the foreseeable future. The Bears have a historical linkage, built the stadium and have tried to relocated their permanently.The Bears still hold playing rights at the stadium for 9 more years regardless.

Its like Cronulla or Bulldogs relocating to Illawarra - for better or worse, their historic linkage is St George and its the only combo that could work.

Beowulf

Juniors
Cheers, yes the next generation will be critical to attract for a CC Bears team I think. Hard to see died in the wool Manly, Souths, Knights fans etc going to support the Bears due to the historic rivalary and hatred.
Not so sure - certainly Souths are supportive of the Bears - we marched with them for their reinstatement, and their key admin and fans remember. (Nick Pappas smiled and waved to us last nt for example).

Plenty of former Knights fans have joined the Bears as members and work as volunteers for the Bears, but agree hardcore manly fans wouldn't...and thats fine and understandable.

A nice wrap about the need for a Central Coast team on the Sunday Footy Show from Sterlo & Joey. Sterlo mentioned that if Singo got involved, it'd further the credentials. Singo is already involved. Joey said that the CC has everything ready to be a successful team. Couldn't agree more.

CENTRAL COAST BEARS SUPPORT BROADCAST DEAL OUTCOME
The Central Coast Bears (CCB) would like to congratulate all parties involved on the delivery of a $1.025 billion dollar broadcast deal to the game of Rugby League in Australia and New Zealand. Now that this deal has been secured, our great game can look strategically at how it is best able to grow and prosper, and the Bears are adamant that expansion is the best way to do this.

"On behalf of all of our members and sponsors, I would like to congratulate the Australian Rugby League Commission, Channel 9 and Foxtel on achieving this successful result. We see this outcome as an important stepping stone for the financial security of the game, as well as being a cornerstone for growth into the future. We are excited about the opportunity for expansion during the term of this deal, and will continue to put forward a strong case for the inclusion of the Central Coast Bears into the NRL competition." CCB CEO Greg Florimo stated.

"This investment into the game demonstrates the appeal of Rugby League on television, and now that there is certainty around scheduling, State of Origin and time slots, Rugby League will continue to attract fans and corporate partners. The final piece to this puzzle is to ensure that the grass roots are catered to, and heartlands such as the Central Coast are the key to sustainability into the future."

Further, the Central Coast Bears would also like to congratulate Laurie Daley on his appointment as coach of the NSW State of Origin side, and wish him every success into the future.

http://centralcoastbears.com.au/News.aspx?NewsID=45

adamkungl

Immortal
Imo... 9 keeping the rights, and the bit of talk surrounding expansion today not only bodes poorly for the Bears but pushes expansion back on the whole. Aren't 9 on the record as wanting another QLD team? Very disappointing.

clarency

Juniors
I wouldn't say that until the ARLC officially announce it.

It doesn't make sense to knock it back with everyone so eager to join. Even just announcing it for a future entry would be good enough. Hell just even a short list.

Anything to get the ones with no chance to stop wasting money...

Imo... 9 keeping the rights, and the bit of talk surrounding expansion today not only bodes poorly for the Bears but pushes expansion back on the whole. Aren't 9 on the record as wanting another QLD team? Very disappointing.

Not really. 9 paid more than they intended too and with Gyngell saying the Broncos will stay on Fridays, the fact the code got $1b and how he didn't see the value of a 9th game I think in short they don't have the $$ to splash into another QLD team. It was originally $100m? I doubt they have even one more cent to give to league after yesterday's deal to be honest.

adamkungl

Immortal
Glad you're optimistic. Would love to see the Bears and Reds...i mean Pirates in. But in my opinion it looks to be well and truly on the backburner for a few more years.

Beowulf

Juniors
Glad you're optimistic. Would love to see the Bears and Reds...i mean Pirates in. But in my opinion it looks to be well and truly on the backburner for a few more years.
I think the Bears are very enthusastic given the remarks by the acting CEO that expansion will be considered if a team can demonstrate it strengthens heartland, and is self-sufficient and sustainable.

Certainly the Bears believe our bid requires the least injection of ARLC seed funding, all the infrastructure is in place, we're certainly heartland. With major backers awaiting a license and 100+ years of experience, sustainability is a non-issue for us and we really just need to prove to the NRL we will help not hinder Manly and to a lesser extent Newcastle.

Again I point to Souths readmission, against the Roosters wishes, which resulted in a boost to Rooster memberships, merchandise etc due to the reignited rivalry. Rivalries drives interest in RL in NSW - the more the better.

Our biggest stumbling block was the perception that 9 would pay more for a Brisbane or WA team. With that issue knocked on the head, IF there is to be expansion in the short-medium term, we're feeling very comfortable about our position.

Status
Not open for further replies.