What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Its been a long time, but 9's chickens are finally comming home to roost. Couldn't happen to a better station.

Damn straight. Its obvious that nepotism has killed the joint.

Packer would be turning in his grave seeing his beloved station being sold off and now sinking.

Adios you merkins. May your restructure lead you to be a much better partner for our game should you ever be able to afford to bid for the rights again.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...ying-the-network/story-fna045gd-1226448737259

Nine's huge debt 'put Telstra off' buying the network

by: Darren Davidson and Mitchell Bingemann
August 13, 2012 12:00AM

UNEASE among Telstra shareholders and a board spooked by the size of Nine Entertainment's debt prompted the telco to pull back from firming up its interest in buying the broadcaster.

The fact that the Telstra board was discouraged from pursuing Nine because of its debt points to the difficulties any potential suitors will have in buying the network and underlines the strength of the position of hedge funds Apollo and Oaktree, which own $1 billion of the senior debt and could find themselves in a 100 per cent debt-for-equity swap.

Nine Entertainment emerged as a potential acquisition target for Telstra in May, reviving memories of the telco's ill-fated bid for Kerry Packer's Publishing & Broadcasting group 12 years ago.

The telco ran the ruler over Nine with its investment bank adviser Credit Suisse in the first quarter of the year but last month, Telstra media boss Rick Ellis ruled out any prospect of immediate acquisitions. Telstra shares rallied after his declaration.

Telstra has not revealed why it failed to follow up on its early interest, but Media has learnt that its major shareholders told the board they were not comfortable with the idea of acquiring Nine.

Telstra shareholders said a takeover of Nine risked undermining the company's stock -- which has a secure yield and reliable dividend -- by exposing Telstra to volatile conditions in the advertising market that Nine depended on for its revenue.

A spokesman for Telstra said Nine had been a potential takeover target earlier this year. His comments to Media marked the first time a Telstra executive has publicly acknowledged the play.

"Telstra was in possession of all the information that it needed to make the decision. The review was preliminary in nature," the spokesman said.

Anton Tagliaferro, investment director at Investors Mutual, a major Telstra shareholder, said assets in virtual receivership in struggling markets did not always make good investments.

"But if Nine is in this virtual receivership and Telstra can get a good budget price for it, then they should definitely have a look," he said. "If there are assets for sale in the telco or media space, then they could fit in with Telstra, but unless they're an absolute bargain they shouldn't go near them. Telstra is in a good position because of its strong cashflows and balance sheet and it should try and stay that way. It's in a much better position than other telcos."

Speaking at Telstra's full-year results on Thursday, chief executive David Thodey said the telco giant was not targeting large-scale acquisitions in the next 18 months but would continue to look at smaller targets that could build on the company's capabilities in media and network applications.

"In relation to M&A, our strategy is the same. We're already focused on acquiring capability where we need it, bolt-ons around the core and new innovative technologies, like the investments in Ooyala. That's our focus for now and I think pretty much that will be our focus going forward," he said.

"We scan the markets pretty aggressively these days because we need to stay abreast of the changes in the industry and as convergence continues to take place. But there's nothing on the horizon at this time."

Nine needs to refinance $2.8bn in senior debt by February next year.

The debt has long traded at a discount, so the $1.9bn of equity tipped in by CVC Asia Pacific has vaporised, and $1bn in subordinated debt held by a Goldman Sachs fund is looking unsecured.

The company has been linked to a growing list of potential owners, including private equity giant Blackstone, Hollywood mogul Harry Sloan, Fairfax Media and local media mogul Bruce Gordon.

and dickhead Ron Swanson thinks 7 and 10 have problems and aint bidding :lol:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/med...-dive-before-rio/story-fna045gd-1226448733440

Rights price likely to take a dive before Rio

by: Darren Davidson and Simon Canning
August 13, 2012 12:00AM

THE nature of Olympic broadcasting rights is set to change fundamentally after the success of Foxtel's multi-channel and tablet app and consumer frustration at parts of Nine's delayed London 2012 coverage.

While the Games provided strong ratings for Nine, Foxtel's strategy of offering eight TV channels and streaming events to mobile devices will put pressure on the next free-to-air broadcaster to offer a better multi-channel experience.

Pete Campbell, head of sport for Foxtel, told Media that when the broadcaster bid for the mobile rights in 2007, the iPhone had only just entered the market and the industry had not foreseen the impact of apps and streaming on viewers.

"One of the big things for the next Olympic Games will be search and recommendation and these things will become even better," Campbell said.

Consumers would expect multi-channel coverage as a minimum for the next winter and summer Games, forcing the free-to-air networks to re-examine how they used their digital multi-channels, one commentator close to Fox Sports said.

The International Olympic Committee has not started formal negotiations with local networks for the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi and 2016 Summer Games in Rio. It will delay negotiations until after the National Rugby League rights are decided.

But Australian media executives believe the IOC asking price will be too high and will seek to emulate a deal similar to that achieved by CBC in Canada, which regained rights to broadcast the Games, apparently at a reduced cost compared with the previous deal for the London Games won by a private consortium.

Foxtel's sales house Multi Channel Network has already reaped the benefits of the pay-TV network's multi-channel broadcast, which had led to advertisers reappraising the medium.

MCN, which sells airtime on behalf of Foxtel, will begin negotiating deals with media agencies for Foxtel's 2013 airtime in mid-October when next year's programs are unveiled.

Anthony Fitzgerald, MCN chief executive, said the ratings exceeded expectations and the response from advertisers and sponsors was "glowing". Mr Fitzgerald has returned from London, where Foxtel's eight dedicated channels were piped directly into the hotel rooms of its clients.

"The Games were the first in the period of personalisation, and it's really reinforced the relevance of Foxtel and a multi-channel television service for existing and new consumers and, importantly, advertisers," Mr Fitzgerald said.

The coverage earned the broadcaster a larger share of the total TV audience than free-to-air channels Seven and Ten at times.

On Sunday August 5, the combined audience for eight channels peaked at 1.27 million at 8.20pm, the highest recorded audience of any program since Foxtel was launched nearly 17 years ago.

"I think that will stand us in good stead as we go into the upfronts season and negotiations for 2013," Mr Fitzgerald said.

"There were some people saying prior to the Games that Foxtel was disadvantaged for not being able to broadcast highlights. The ratings prove this wasn't the case."

He praised Nine Network's free-to-air Olympics coverage and said some of the criticisms of the channel about ratings were unduly harsh as the same alternative viewing did not exist at previous Games. Foxtel's Olympics app live had 160,000 downloads.

"When the post-analysis is done we will probably find total viewing to the Olympics has been as good as any Olympics previously other than Sydney or any Games in a similar time slot. With the anti-siphoning restrictions they did as much as they could with only being allowed to simulcast on the HD channel."

Subscription TV has always played second fiddle to the free-to-air networks, but a strong focus on data and research is helping the industry steal share. Advertising spending figures for June revealed subscription TV was up 11.3 per cent in the 12 months to June, with the metro TV market posting a 4.1 per cent decline, according to Standard Media Index data. June posted a sharp increase of 29.2 per cent driven by the London Olympics, while the metro market shrank 1.3 per cent.

MCN sold nine Olympics sponsorship packages, with the last berth sold to Foxtel's 50 per cent part owner Telstra.

Mindful of not wanting to be drawn into a war of words with the free-to-air networks, the former Seven sales executive is unwilling to take aim at them, preferring instead to talk up subscription TV's contribution towards increasing total eyeballs.

"We believe there are two things occurring: there is a shift in share, no doubt, but we are also driving the overall television pool. Regional and subscription television are growing, and metro is in decline, but total television is up," Mr Fitzgerald said diplomatically.

But he said Foxtel would not be formally joining Ten's Connect alliance, which includes DMG Radio and Facebook, and said MCN was open to working with any media company on an ad hoc basis. "We may remain committed to working with any media partner or more than one media partner on a brief by brief basis if it makes good commercial sense to do so and if it doesn't, we won't."

MCN's network of channels delivered a 4.2 per cent year-on-year rise in audience for the first half of the ratings year, according to OzTAM.

Underpinning bigger audiences were bumper ratings for live sports programming. The highest-rating program on subscription TV during the first half of the ratings year was the NRL Bulldogs v Rabbitohs match on Fox Sports 2, which pulled in 395,000 viewers.

Mr Fitzgerald said MCN's multi-million-dollar investment in its analytics division, Multiview, had paid dividends. Multiview captures set-top box usage and interactions in 10,000 homes to generate consumer insights. "We're in a position now where we can target potential car buyers, not just an age and demographic."

Mr Fitzgerald conceded that apart from the Olympics, pay-TV had not had a ratings hit and cultural phenomenon to match Nine's The Voice and admitted some of the US drama imports were plagued by illegal downloading on the internet, which harmed potential ratings.

Goddo

Bench
I think that last bit about potential suitors is important in terms of the future media landscape.

The key for all media forms will be having a broad base of different formats - For Fairfax, they have got to grow the internet business, and a TV station would be good for them too. Just Newspapers won't cut it. Maybe a Telstra/Fairfax joint ownership of 9 (after they go into receivership).

Similarily, I can see the Murdoch's turning 10 into a feeder channel for their Pay TV and Newspaper businesses (which will both be mainly internet subscription based).

babyg

Juniors
Given how well fox did on the olympics. Do you the rise in subscriptions this year could be attributed to that and not alf360

undertaker

Coach

Edwahu

Bench
Given how well fox did on the olympics. Do you the rise in subscriptions this year could be attributed to that and not alf360

Audiences may be up but I'm not sure subscribers are. Oztam universe estimates show a drop since the start of the year.

Ch9 had their main channel, GO and GEM, yet chose not to use GO and showed the same coverage on GEM as they did on the main channel.

To be reasonable it wasn't as straightforward as merely putting any material they wished on any channel. This was discussed on Media Watch last night:

But to be fair to Nine (someone has to be!) it negotiated the deal, and signed a complex three way contract with the IOC and Foxtel, way back in 2007, when commercial digital channels, and the law that would apply to their content, were still shrouded in uncertainty. Nine wasn?t going to pay big money for a channel it didn?t yet have, and might not be allowed to use.

TVOR

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you like sport I have no idea why you wouldn't have Foxtel! It's coverage of the Olympics was brilliant and when it gets all NRL games live it pretty much has every game in most meaningful sports in the country available.

Dogs Of War

Coach
If you like sport I have no idea why you wouldn't have Foxtel! It's coverage of the Olympics was brilliant and when it gets all NRL games live it pretty much has every game in most meaningful sports in the country available.

I got rid of it as a protest against the crappy deals the NRL got compared to AFL. I really only watch NRL and NFL anyway, NFL has a brillant gamepass package which I would prefer to put my money into, and I will watch a crappy internet stream if I really need to get my fix of NRL when it's exclusive to fox (or just listen to the radio, the ABC guys call a good game).

Actually my one hope is that the NRL got something similar to gamepass. I would throw them $200-300 a season to have that sort of content available.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I think Monday nite footy would end up beating Friday night footy for viewers. Better timeslot (given it starts at 7pm).

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
More people watching TV on Sunday/Monday night as well. Given they get ~300-400k on Fox for Monday night games, they could easily double that on a bad week.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.adnews.com.au/adnews/ten-now-it-s-our-turn-to-take-30-share

Ten: Now it's our turn to take 30% share

14 Aug 2012

By David Blight

Ten's newly installed sales boss, Barry O'Brien, has argued Ten has passed through the "tough stuff", and reiterated Lachlan Murdoch's claim from last year the company is now pushing for 30% revenue share.

O'Brien argued that with major cost-cutting and capital raising exercises now under Ten's belt, and with new programming and a new format being implemented, the company is in an ideal position to “move forward”.

“This is our time," he said. "Now is the first period under [Ten chief] James [Warburton] and his new team, that James and his direction have had a clear space. Ten has had to work through existing programming, as well as all the tough stuff like cost cutting and capital raising.

“Of course, you have to polish your business every day, but now it looks like there is some clear space.”

O'Brien also commented on a previous claim from former Ten interim chief Lachlan Murdoch, who said last year Ten would be able to take 30% revenue share in the battle with Seven and Nine.

Seven held 40% share in the latest KPMG figures which measured the commercial free-to-air television market in the six months to June. Nine had 34.5% while Ten had 25.5%.

O'Brien said: “Can we get the 30% share? Our expectation is to try to deliver that 30% share. But we'll need success on screen, we'll need to get results.”

In terms of ratings, Ten has frequently been falling behind Seven and Nine. The broadcaster's new program Everybody Dance Now saw 300,000 viewers in only its second showing last night, according to OzTam. It was trumped by Nine's Underbelly: Badness and Big Brother.

Meanwhile, shows like The Shire and Being Lara Bingle have not hit major highs, and suffered during the Olympics.

However, Ten's flagship program MasterChef managed to see strong ratings of around 1.5 million in its later episodes, particularly after Nine's The Block finished up for the season.

O'Brien said he was particularly optimistic about the upcoming release of Australian drama series Puberty Blues.

He also said Ten maintains a strong ratings position in its core 16-39 and 18-49 demographics, but also said he would like to see strong overall ratings.

When asked about where the increased revenue share would come from, O'Brien said: “It doesn't matter where it comes from. I'm not going to bar anybody.”

10 getting the NRL rights and 9 losing them could make that happen

undertaker

Coach
More people watching TV on Sunday/Monday night as well. Given they get ~300-400k on Fox for Monday night games, they could easily double that on a bad week.

I was just about to ask that question. Realistically, how would the ratings on Sunday 6:30pm or Monday night be if either of those games were on FTA?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Generally the Sun afternoon FTA draws around 400-550K and Mon night Pay game gets 300-400k. I am surprised at how much lower the Sunday game is compared to the Friday night games which can top 600k.

I would imagine a Monday night FTA would probably also draw 400-500k, this would probably still be below a FTA expectations for a 7pm weeknight slot I would think?

Dogs Of War

Coach
I would imagine a Monday night FTA would probably also draw 400-500k, this would probably still be below a FTA expectations for a 7pm weeknight slot I would think?

No chance it would draw that low. Yes it's up against harder opposition programming wise, but you also have more bums on seats in the house than compared to Friday night, and especially Sunday afternoon.

Status
Not open for further replies.