What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Jersey & Sponsorship Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigwaa

Bench
Wow, I didn't think Manly could out do the joke of a jersey that was their Anzac jersey but they've done it.

As I said about the Anzac day one, I'm all about good causes, charity fundraising, paying respect but can't they do it without a whole new jersey?

I think doing it once is ok imo, but multiple "one off" jerseys just seems like a cash grab from clubs.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Completely agree with everything here. However, the Knights should have had to wait until their 3 year period was up, just like every other team that isn't the Roosters (same deal with the away jersey). The real issue is that a jersey like their actual home one came into existence.

I agree with you on the point of the jersey never being signed off on in the first place but to be fair that was the previous admins fault and any Knights fan can tell you they were woefully out of touch with the fans. Why should we as fans be punished for that? If anything the NRL needed to take action and actually set some guidelines around jersey design and not how many times you can wear them

You talk about integrity with the NRL and clubs brands but I argue that having a team run around in an abortion like jersey does more harm than good given merch sales are an important income stream. I doubt any fans buy jerseys just because they are worn on the field. In fact I know with reasonable assurity that the Knights heritage jerseys, barring the rebels one, out sell the home ones since the heritage ones were brought in in 2008.

Im not sure if you were serious about docking comp points for not adhearing to the so called jersey rules but Id like to think you were taking the piss. Docking points is for breaches of the playing rules (salary cap rorting, interchange breaches, etc) and not for what a team wears, as it does not give them any unfair advantage over their opposition. a club fine would be more appropriate if the NRL was looking to punish them

GAZF

First Grade
tongue in cheek or not you'll give them ideas and they'll wear it in round 26 to celebrate 2011 or soemthing

I'll cop the blame if that happens. It couldn't possibly happen so late in the season though, could it?

I agree with you on the point of the jersey never being signed off on in the first place but to be fair that was the previous admins fault and any Knights fan can tell you they were woefully out of touch with the fans. Why should we as fans be punished for that? If anything the NRL needed to take action and actually set some guidelines around jersey design and not how many times you can wear them

Again, its nothing against the Knights. They acknowledge that the previous admin had no idea and are correcting wrongs. The problem is that they're correcting wrongs in contravention of the guidelines set by the NRL. The design aspect is too subjective for the NRL to judge and enforce so the next best thing is to put the onus on the club to make the right decision or bear the consequences.

You talk about integrity with the NRL and clubs brands but I argue that having a team run around in an abortion like jersey does more harm than good given merch sales are an important income stream. I doubt any fans buy jerseys just because they are worn on the field. In fact I know with reasonable assurity that the Knights heritage jerseys, barring the rebels one, out sell the home ones since the heritage ones were brought in in 2008

On one hand a club could have made the wrong decision with a bad jersey, be stuck with it until the timeframe is up and in the meantime merch sales take a hit. On the other hand the same club can bend rules and set a precedent to other clubs that any jersey can be worn at any time, culminating in the NRL having no distinct identities. All I want to see here is the overall standard of uniforms to improve long term. The Knights and Roosters have started a new trend that will ensure that this is not the case if left to continue.

The fact that heritage jerseys have outsold other jerseys since 2007 where the Knights have had 5 regular season jerseys to get it right means that they weren't putting enough thought into making a choice. The Knights had to wait ONE year to make the change and they could have worn the stripes until the end of time, I can almost guarantee they wont though and will screw it up again in a few years time just as most other clubs do.

People on here can absolve the clubs and blame the designer/manufacturer for being at fault but the client has just as much power in making the decision, if not more, as anyone. If the Knights (previous admin) cared that much about their merch sales they would have taken the decision more seriously. Thats why the NRL should step in because they are just as much of a stakeholder in this as the clubs are.

Im not sure if you were serious about docking comp points for not adhearing to the so called jersey rules but Id like to think you were taking the piss. Docking points is for breaches of the playing rules (salary cap rorting, interchange breaches, etc) and not for what a team wears, as it does not give them any unfair advantage over their opposition. a club fine would be more appropriate if the NRL was looking to punish them

Then the financial punishment needs to be so severe that no owner could rationalise ponying up the money, I used competition points because it would be guaranteed to work. Either way, the fact that Newcastle has broken the rules 15 times and Sydney 12 times (so far) this season says that the current punishment is not enough.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Manly had a heritage jersey ready to go (the old eagle on the ball logo in white stretched out over a maroon jersey) but have never used it, it would seem.

Timmah

Staff member
Then the financial punishment needs to be so severe that no owner could rationalise ponying up the money, I used competition points because it would be guaranteed to work. Either way, the fact that Newcastle has broken the rules 15 times and Sydney 12 times (so far) this season says that the current punishment is not enough.
The heritage jersey rule is 8 times per season, so as of last night they've broken the rules 7 times.

For the Roosters, while it was "heritage" last year, I understand they exploited the loopholes by calling it alternate this year. Their away jersey still exists, but like so many others, never used. Got ridiculously negative feedback when worn once in 2011.

Zigwaa

Bench
The heritage jersey rule is 8 times per season, so as of last night they've broken the rules 7 times.

For the Roosters, while it was "heritage" last year, I understand they exploited the loopholes by calling it alternate this year. Their away jersey still exists, but like so many others, never used. Got ridiculously negative feedback when worn once in 2011.

Because it looked ridiculous with blue shorts!

GAZF

First Grade

Perfect example of the rules being too flexible. A heritage jersey can be worn once every 3 games (an even that can be ignored)? What makes it special then?

Goddo

Bench
Wow, I didn't think Manly could out do the joke of a jersey that was their Anzac jersey but they've done it.

As I said about the Anzac day one, I'm all about good causes, charity fundraising, paying respect but can't they do it without a whole new jersey?

I think doing it once is ok imo, but multiple "one off" jerseys just seems like a cash grab from clubs.
Does anyone really buy these one offs? Surely sales can't be high enough to justify a different jersey every second week. Not every club needs to do ANZAC day, indigenous, prostate cancer, breast cancer, limp footballers disorder, Avatar/Star Wars jerseys.

Pick 1 charity match each. Eg,

St George Illawarra/Sydney Legacy around ANZAC day.
Souths/Canterbury some sort of Easter centric charity.
Penrith/Tigers McGrath foundation/women in League.
Cowboys/Gold Coast indigenous week/a relevant charity.
Sharks/Manly surf life saving week.
Broncos/Eels prostate cancer week.
et cetera

Make the charity match game of the round (fixed schedule makes this easy) and promote it as such.

Timmah

Staff member
Goddo - fact is usually these one-offs sell amazing amounts. Manly's ANZAC jersey sold out and was re-ordered, Pink Panther jerseys are amongst their best sellers, Cowboys heritage strip goes like hotcakes... they do sell, unfortunately.

And as long as they do, and it's within the rules - then clubs will keep doing it.

What is wrong with something simple and just as meaningful as this being sown into the jersey???

gse_multipart52017%5B1%5D.jpg

This is exactly what I want to see. St George did it this year with ANZAC Day, Red V jersey but with the RSL logo below the Reebok logo. No need for a completely new jumper (even if we did it heaps in the past).

Home, away, and a single one off jersey for only one game.

Dani

Immortal
In a move sure to turn GAZF bright red and induce further rage... Manly are wearing a diabetes round jersey this Sunday....

00041213-leadimage.jpg

As someone who has been insulin dependant diabetic for 16 years I for one am really happy to see this.

IanG

Coach
Feel sorry for anyone who bought the main jersey for Newcastle...

It's a shit jersey, but it was assigned they nominated it as their home jersey. What is the point of having a rule if the NRL won't enforce it... We will end up having new jerseys every year

That's why I only bought the Heritage one. As for having a new jersey every year. I thought they already did that

Saint Doc

Coach
Remember that jersey survey about how many jerseys teams should be allowed to wear, about squad numbering and names on jerseys??

I tweeted the marketing manager of the NRL about it and he had NFI what I was talking about.

So don't hold your breath!

Lambretta

First Grade
Perfect example of the rules being too flexible. A heritage jersey can be worn once every 3 games (an even that can be ignored)? What makes it special then?

Our away jersey in 2011 was definitely worn twice, the heritage was probably worn 8 times and the home jersey worn the rest (guessing here)

In 2012 we called the heritage jersey our alternate jersey and didn't have a heritage one to wear. We did an Anzac Day alternative instead.

I don't see what the problem is here with a club deciding it made a genuine mistake. No one at the club seemed to like the 2011 alternate jersey so it was dumped. Well, when I say no one, I liked it - I just thought it needed to be worn with white shorts and the proportions needed to be slightly different. The original drawings actually looked good. It looks alright when people wear it in the stands - so those supporters that picked one up dirt cheap got a bit of a bargain imo.

I have more of an issue with clubs like Manly and the Wests Tigers having a seemingly endless supply of jerseys every season than clubs admitting they f**ked up and doing something positive about it that the fans actually appreciate.

Lambretta

First Grade
D06FDC9AF361322BEA8FF5BF58DB196D.jpg

I just hope that the Roosters base their next heritage jersey on the same design as this one as worn by the Eastern Suburbs Rugby team.

We had a heritage jersey like this in the late 90's / early noughties when Freddy was in the team and it looked brilliant.

325388-roosters-nrl-brad-fittler.jpg

Maximum of four red and white hoops on a navy background. It's clean and it's classic. Hopefully if it's a heritage jersey they'll do it with a classic Rooster logo and no flamin' advertising too. In cotton. Droool.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'd allow:
Heritage jersey two rounds only - heritage and rivallary round
One off jersey allowed one game per year (could be a charity, anzac or sponsorship, clubs decision)
All other games main jersey unless significant clash when playing away then alternate jersey.

Simple really.

Timmah

Staff member
As someone who has been insulin dependant diabetic for 16 years I for one am really happy to see this.

I don't think the implication is at all there for anyone to have a dig at diabetes or suggest the cause isn't worthy.

As a supporter of a club which supports countless different initiatives each year, there's more than one way to skin a cat. Wearing a fifth different club jersey for the season is probably getting over the top though.

Don't get me started on the Storm's seven different strips in 2012 (8 if you count the trial heritage jersey) :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts