What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kearney

Eels Dude

Coach
I heard John Gibbs say his mail was that it was a done deal. The Warriors must have rocks in their heads! I can see two positives coming out of the appointment for us. Firstly, we are pretty much guaranteed of missing the wooden spoon in 2013 :p, plus Kearney may release Mateo from his contract. You can't have players offloading the ball...

WOE

His 'role' couldn't be the head coaching role surely. It's probably an assistant role tied in to whatever his permanent job is with the NZRL.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Like how he doesn't let the Kiwi team offload? :roll:

Kearney lets players offload if they're good at it. When he played he was a great offloader himself.
Exactly, besides Hindy who really is much chop at offloading at our club???? People forget we lost Caylo,Mateo,INU and Grothe who besides Hindy were our best offlloaders. Lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Gronk

Staff member
Like how he doesn't let the Kiwi team offload? :roll:

Kearney lets players offload if they're good at it. When he played he was a great offloader himself.

Exactly, besides Hindy who really is much chop at offloading at our club???? People forget we lost Caylo,Mateo,INU and Grothe who besides Hindy were our best offlloaders. Lets not let the truth get in the way of a good story.

Indeed.

Round 1 vs Broncos; total team offloads = 1

Kearney sacked Rnd 20

Round 21 vs Broncos; total team offloads = 14

Kornstar

Coach
Who gives a shit where he is/goes, as long as he never comes back here I could care less about him.......the last 2 years have been torture.......

Bring on Ricky!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The idea is to teach them offloads not say well you can't offload.

If it was that easy every player in the NRL would have learnt how to offload well.

They all know how to offload - they're first graders. The fact is most of them are better off taking the tackle and going for a quick play-the-ball.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Yep round 1 was a wet night and first game of the season, hardly a fair comparsion. We are playing touch footy atm with a carefree attitude. If we played like this from round 1 it is interesting how we would have gone.

Gronk

Staff member
Yep round 1 was a wet night and first game of the season, hardly a fair comparsion. We are playing touch footy atm with a carefree attitude. If we played like this from round 1 it is interesting how we would have gone.

Agreed. It's a shame that the game plan did not suit our squad.

Delboy

First Grade
No matter our likes and dislikes, and even Pou's mania to not admit he was wrong. The game plan that SK inserted on the player group was just a clone of the Storm without the big 3.

When we played Cronulla he was in NZ and the asst coach took the team, slightly more expnasive game and we win.

The success of a coach from U8 to NRL, is to implement a strategy that works with the group you have, and recruited, now it is obvious despite the reputation he had coming in, he was unable to set the right game plan for the squad. Whilst we currently have a doesnt really matter attitude, the spread of the ball and options we have is so much different to what we played up to round 20.

I guess the real question as we move forward will be how we are structured under the new coach, what was that Chinese curse "may you live in interesting times"

oldmancraigy

Coach

We might have got belted all year long because we're still not playing any defence!! I reckon maybe 2-3 more wins if we'd pegged the ball around?

Thing worth noting is that "offloading" is not the holy grail that so many on this forum make it out to be.
We just crushed the Roosters, who offloaded 13 times to our 6.
The week before, in scoring 26 against the Tigers, we offloaded just 7 times.
We got 13 away against Brisbane, and had 14 the week before against Melbourne

And under Kearney's oversight we had 20 offloads against Newcastle a few weeks prior to that (in a 20-12 loss).

Playing expansive footy is NOT synonymous with offloading the ball. The 2 can be mutually exclusive in a particular game of footy.

What IS clear is that we are playing a more attacking brand of footy since SK's demise. And one might not be shocked considering Brad Arthur was the 'attacking coach' under Kearney. Shock horror, he's putting all his eggs in the attacking basket now that he's got full control.
And we're scoring points with just 6 offloads (vs Roosters if you're slow and didn't pick it up before).

hineyrulz

Post Whore
We might have got belted all year long because we're still not playing any defence!! I reckon maybe 2-3 more wins if we'd pegged the ball around?

Thing worth noting is that "offloading" is not the holy grail that so many on this forum make it out to be.
We just crushed the Roosters, who offloaded 13 times to our 6.
The week before, in scoring 26 against the Tigers, we offloaded just 7 times.
We got 13 away against Brisbane, and had 14 the week before against Melbourne

And under Kearney's oversight we had 20 offloads against Newcastle a few weeks prior to that (in a 20-12 loss).

Playing expansive footy is NOT synonymous with offloading the ball. The 2 can be mutually exclusive in a particular game of footy.

What IS clear is that we are playing a more attacking brand of footy since SK's demise. And one might not be shocked considering Brad Arthur was the 'attacking coach' under Kearney. Shock horror, he's putting all his eggs in the attacking basket now that he's got full control.
And we're scoring points with just 6 offloads (vs Roosters if you're slow and didn't pick it up before).
I agree with all of that, because we went crazy with the offloads in 09 some people on here seem to think that is the only way to play. I must admit i have enjoyed watching us play much more the last month. Shame about the defence though :( But that is something that is very fixable.

Gronk

Staff member
I'm happy we've finally starting offloading and winning games.

The games we won were because the other teams were down on form.

Nothing to do with offloading.

Accordingly, those teams lost their games rather than we won them.

TheParraboy

Staff member
The games we won were because the other teams were down on form.
Nothing to do with offloading.

Accordingly, those teams lost their games rather than we won them.

We have lost more games to sides down on form. Its just that we have improved (remarkably) our offence in recent times. We get our D in order, then we are in another hemisphere circa 09