What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The T.V Rights Thread Part III

How much will the Total Broadcast Rights Deal be?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

m0nty

Juniors
I wonder how long it will take for the players to start arking up for a bigger salary cap. The AFL experience has been that the players got shafted, as much of the $1.253B went into the new franchises and expanding the football departments of existing clubs, i.e. paying for more and more assistant coaches. The NRL player agents would be keen for that not to happen in league.

BunniesMan

Immortal
People underestimate the importance of FTA coverage. It is what separates NRL and AFL from Soccer and Union as top tier sports in this country. 1 live FTA game a week is simply not good enough.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
hahahaha what a bunch of tools on fox news. They have retained the rights and can't even give the details with any confidence... :lol:

gUt

Coach
As a Fox subscriber I'm not too shattered.

Let's hope this deal is used to repair and consolidate the clubs bottom lines, improve infrastructure at certain grounds, bump up players' salaries, prop up local/bush comps and revitalize the international game.

Then in 5 years the code can seriously look at expansion into Perth/Brisbane 2/NZ 2/wherever.

Pretty good result for our clubs.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
We now have the money to really drive the AFL from the Sydney and Brisbane market. Also to aggressively target rugby union..as I said in the fight club yes it sucks for supporters but its a huge boon to the game. The AFL is sinking silly money into gws we can now really secure the future of our existing clubs and grow sensibly.

Raiderdave

First Grade
Honestly what was stopping the ARLC telling Fox to go f**k themselves?? They need us more than we need them. Sounds like we are getting stiffed again, 5 more year of Nein FFS!!

stiffed ?:sarcasm:

we've gone from 83 Million a year ... to ova 200 Million a year :?

yeah 9 may not be the prefered carrier by most of us
but they.. & foxtel ... have been made to pay up & this can't be argued

for me it was always the $$ ..
as a code we can now take on the Victorians effectively

the actual carriers themselves were a secondary concern

Bench
Maybe we should wait to all the details are divulged,maybe the commission put some stipulations on 9,so they can't take the average punter for a moron,or maybe she is just steady as she goes.
Lets hope with the extra money and hopefully a more stringent rein on 9 things will be sweet.

carlosthedwarf

First Grade
I'm pretty disgusted. No games on Saturday FTA and no HD either. Probably more delayed. No Sunday FTA either.

Despite getting them out of the game Fox holds too much power.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
As a Fox subscriber I'm not too shattered.

Let's hope this deal is used to repair and consolidate the clubs bottom lines, improve infrastructure at certain grounds, bump up players' salaries, prop up local/bush comps and revitalize the international game.

Then in 5 years the code can seriously look at expansion into Perth/Brisbane 2/NZ 2/wherever.

Pretty good result for our clubs.

Exactly mate. I understand people are disappointed nine are still the rights holder and coverage hasn't improved but there is so much good that can come out of this money.

m0nty

Juniors
Has anyone heard anything about Internet & mobile?

There was mention in one of the reports about how the deal includes innovative ways of getting the broadcast feed out to tablets and mobiles. Not sure whether that means, really.

Big Sam

First Grade
Again let's just wait and see what they say at the press conference. For all we know, 9 might be having only one FNF game and a live 4hr double-header leading into the news on Sundays.

Status
Not open for further replies.