What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who will play halfback next year ?

Owen Da Saints

Juniors
With Hornby about to announce his retirement, it will be interesting to see who we try to recruit to replace him (if we buy anyone at all !)
I have a feeling Price might try to use Fien as five eight and Soward as half until we get Kyle back. (Possibly paving the way for a big signing for 2014 after Fien retires ?)
I can't imagine us buying another halfback.
I hope i'm wrong, but we are talking about a coach that was choosing Fien over Soward (until Fien got injured), and a CEO that is extremely tight with cash !
Kyle getting injured has really thrown a spanner in the works, otherwise this dilemma would have been easily solved ! :crazy:
Any thoughts ?

Mr Red

First Grade
Stanley will be missing nearly half the season..
therfore even if long term his is considered to be moved to the halves we need a solution to start the season with, not to mention the need for added depth in the halves..

Solution - aggressive recruitment of at least 2 players that can play half or five eighth.

Prices solution - do nothing and move Fien into the halves next season...

Mr Red

First Grade
Jeremy Smith? Is he up to it?

yeah he would be a good fit....just one thing... you need to play for the club. he is not signed by the dragons only contracted to the cutters

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Recruit Townsend and/or Miller and if we have the cash, go for Thurston in 2014.

Or go for Soward and King in the halves with Rein at 9 and Fien on the bench.

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
Recruit Townsend and/or Miller and if we have the cash, go for Thurston in 2014.

Or go for Soward and King in the halves with Rein at 9 and Fien on the bench.
your persistance with playing King in the halves is concerning..
have you not seen this season what a rabble a team can become when you start playing players out of position... especially in key positions such as the halves...

I would have concerns if the club chased hard after Thurston. By the start of the 2014 season he will be 31. We need to sign a long term quality half, you don't get that by signing a 31 yr old.

Who knows what Price will do next year in the halves, it's anybodies guess. We will need to sign a fringe player at least as backup, i.e a Mortimer, Miller or Townsend. Even if Price does go with Fein & Stanley, you are looking at two pretty injury prone players vying for one if not the most important positions in the team.

Next year is a definate worry at this stage.

Hutty1986

Immortal
f**k, didn't realise Style would miss the start of next season. Could be an even longer year next year. No confidence whatsoever.

Hoekstra

Juniors
No offense to Fien but if he is chosen to step up that's deck chairs on the Titanic type stuff.

Price would really be showing his complete lack of coaching ability if deos not fire up and hunt down a bloody half back. After hearing Nine retained the rights, the thought of Fien being our half back really caps off my day.

STG 002

First Grade
these are our options -
soward - well then we need a 5/8
stanley - proven to be average and not durable
fien - too old
jeremy smith - too crap
king - is a hooker
rein - is also a hooker

outcome for 2013 - basically we're f**ked

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
therfore even if long term his is considered to be moved to the halves we need a solution to start the season with, not to mention the need for added depth in the halves..

Solution - aggressive recruitment of at least 2 players that can play half or five eighth.

Aggressive recruitment you got that right......sorry to his supporters but Im not sure if K. Stanley is the halves answer....as well as being injury prone, im not convinced that he will handle that position.....he was ordinary at fullback to say the least and average in the centres imo.....unfortunately like his brother they just dont seem to have that gritty go forward, and seldom make any line breaks...I know that I will be shot down by my comments but the Stanley boys just dont show much to me...hope they prove me wrong...........

Biglance

Bench
Trant Hodgkinson or Chad Townsend? not that id like them but not much else going around. Possibly Jacob Miller?

st.phil

Bench

Where did you get that info from re Stanley Mr Red? Apparently he should be running again within two and a bit weeks? The most conservative estimates I have heard have him missing the start of the season...

http://www.dragons.com.au/news-display/Kyle-Stanley-Speaks-About-Time-On-The-Sidelines/61323

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Kyle will come good. Benji had heaps of injuries early in his career as well but has not had one for a while now. Hopefully the same will apply for Kyle. He is still young. Maybe throwing him in the NRL early was not a good move.

Stanley / Soward half combo will be pretty good to watch. Can't wait.

dragon-83

Juniors
Peter Doust. Says this does leave the club with issues to resolve in in 2013 and he can't announced any solution yet.

Latest posts