What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

TV rights thread part 4

Hughes is absolutely grilling Mattiske at the moment.

Mattiske will not answer Hughes' question that another network offered to show four live games on FTA per weekend. Hughes asked it about four times and Mattiske came back with the same old rehearsed response. He just couldn't answer the question.

Looks like another network offered live FTA footy on Fri, Sat, Sun and Mon. Methinks this was Channel 10.

And of course there may well have been a trade off in terms of cash, but surely he could have confirmed whether it was true or not, but that the commission deemed this to be a better overall deal by nine.

NrlCoach

Juniors
lol Mattiske interview.. Basically saying they toke the money over better coverage for the game. couldn't answer why there was only 1 live game

M2D2

Bench
Sorry must of missed that post. My next question is, do you think that 10 and Fox would be willing to pay that amount? Especially Fox as they are currently losing money on the AFL TV deal because it is not providing the new subscribers they were hoping for. It's all well and good saying we were screwed over and the ARLC have dropped the ball, but what if 10 and Fox only offered $600 million? Would you still accept that offer? Maybe 10 offered the same amount but wanted a fully flexible schedule. Or they wanted a Thursday night game and a Sunday night game each week. We dont know what éveryone offered and unless we do then you can't criticise what deal was done.
Considering whats going on on 2sm right now. Wouldnt be surprised if 10 offered 800mill with 4 FTA games.
200mill for less FTA games. a fixed schedule which channel 9 still gets to put on a QLD game every friday means yeah. Ball was dropped.

Rosetta

Juniors
So the final offers sound something like;

Seven - ~$1 billion for everything, unknown what FTA coverage they offered, struggled to come to agreement with Fox Sports over on-selling of matches they didn't want.

Ten - ~$800 million for everything with a minimum of 4 live FTA matches a week with the other 4 matches to be on-sold as they wish.

Nine & Fox - $1.025 billion with the details released today.

SharkShocked

Bench
Yep.

For an acting CEO, his attempts to deflect the question were absolutely pathetic.

Just come out and say that for litigation reasons he can't comment on the deal. Then the question disappears lol.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Considering whats going on on 2sm right now. Wouldnt be surprised if 10 offered 800mill with 4 FTA games.
200mill for less FTA games. a fixed schedule which channel 9 still gets to put on a QLD game every friday means yeah. Ball was dropped.

and with this deal we were freed from 9 and News Ltd first and last rights options forever

that is a huge positive

Brutus

Referee
lol Mattiske interview.. Basically saying they toke the money over better coverage for the game. couldn't answer why there was only 1 live game

It was car crash radio.

I think Mattiske does some good work for the game and has done so for a while, but that interview did him no favours.

M2D2

Bench
Shh... don't let the truth get in the way of a good story...
You mean like we just got f**ked for money and all you keep on saying is how good 1 billion is and how good that the first/last rights is gone which is completely irrelevant if nothing changes and we keep on getting 1 live FTA game a week by selling the rights to live?
Yeah. Great truth right there.
I have to go listen to Two Princes or Little miss cant be wrong right now. Im in the mood.

Frailty

First Grade
It was car crash radio.

I think Mattiske does some good work for the game and has done so for a while, but that interview did him no favours.

Mattiske is Gallop MkII...

No one wants to admit this, but the TV Deal is a dud, and his performance this afternoon was a dud.

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
Gyngell doesn't like the idea of ads in the footy and slowing it down

so the NRL haven't bent over and changed anything about they way games are played by introducing breaks for ads and having quarters

a lot are still missing out how big a deal this is http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...etain-nrl-rights/story-e6frfgbo-1226454690915
I've said that myself a number of times in this and the previous thread. About the no clause in the agreement.

This was in relation to my proposed 4pm start instead of 3pm.

Brutus

Referee
Mattiske is Gallop MkII...

No one wants to admit this, but the TV Deal is a dud, and his performance this afternoon was a dud.

All he had to do was make clear that confidentiality agreements were in place and that he couldn't discuss it.

But he didn't and it sounded just awful.

Latest posts