What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soth Africas new website

clarency

Juniors
They won't. It's the RLIF's job. So unfortunately we're screwed.

Does look nice though. Would be pretty cool if Pirates got in and did some scouting over there, or at least some form of pathway for SA'ses.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Have a look at the clubs section, they have 30 clubs listed which is bigger than what a lot of nations who get a lot more notoriety have. It's a good nucleus to build from, they just need to spread the word, a rugby mad nation like SA will lap up a game like Rugby League.

clarency

Juniors
I don't get how they can have such a strong infrastructure and yet still fail to make the world cup. In fact they do very badly on the international stage.

Evil Homer

Staff member
I don't get how they can have such a strong infrastructure and yet still fail to make the world cup. In fact they do very badly on the international stage.
They don't have a strong infrastructure. They have a lot of clubs, but distances and internal squabbles have made things difficult for them.

Sam_the_man

First Grade

Probably something to do with not being able to stack their playing ranks with NRL and ESL pros like Itally did recently.

Sam_the_man

First Grade
Great looking website also. I'd love to see rugby league grow in South Africa but from what i understand league is looked at by the main stream as a sub culture of the under classes and something to be looked down on. My new boss is a South African, i asked him if he watched much league now he was in NZ. He said at first he couldn't stand it purely from the perspective i just described, but now he says he can't get enough of it and loves watching as many NRL matches on Sky NZ as he can.

clarency

Juniors
They qualified against USA and Jam. USA seem to have mostly second tier overseas players, didn't realise how many Jamaicans play in England though.

I get the feeling SA Union holding its foot firmly on the face of RL to stop it from getting off the ground.

Bronco Rob

Juniors
Great looking website also. I'd love to see rugby league grow in South Africa but from what i understand league is looked at by the main stream as a sub culture of the under classes and something to be looked down on. My new boss is a South African, i asked him if he watched much league now he was in NZ. He said at first he couldn't stand it purely from the perspective i just described, but now he says he can't get enough of it and loves watching as many NRL matches on Sky NZ as he can.

This is why they should be targeting the black community and you are spot on about the culture but Union is till seen a s a white man's game by most. I speak to quite a few South Africans clients and most of them love the game once they were exposed to the game.

I really do see South Africa as the sleeping giant of RL, it was a real shame that kid from the Roosters didn't stay with RL, he would have been a good role model if he had of been successful.

YANTO

Juniors
new website that looks half done, but still looks pretty decent...
http://www.sarugbyleague.co.za/# maybe the NRL should invest some of there money into South Africa, or at least sell TV rights to them.

RFL management System website.
Check out the bottom of the page.
This is a template used by a lot structures under the RFL.
Check out the advertising.. UK based.

Seems the Brits are doing their bit for SA in a small way :D

Craigo

Juniors
Took my 15 year old son and 2 of his mates to the Dogs v Broncos game the other week and introduced one of them, a South African of Afrikaaner heritage, to his first ever live League game. The kid has only been in the country for 3 years and the first 2 were in Tassie so his exposure to league was very minimal. He had seen a few games on TV but didnt quite get the gist of it. After explanations and comparisons of some the rules to union, he started to really get into it and loved the big hits/shouder charges. All the boys were talking about the game afterwards then the kid declares he was now going to follow the Rabbitohs! How you get a Bunnies fan after watching a Dogs v Broncos game has got me beat but at least there is another League fan on board :lol:.

miguel de cervantes

First Grade
All the boys were talking about the game afterwards then the kid declares he was now going to follow the Rabbitohs! How you get a Bunnies fan after watching a Dogs v Broncos game has got me beat but at least there is another League fan on board :lol:.

Sounds completely normal to me :sarcasm: