What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 Rnd 5: Ninjas v Panthers

Willow

Assistant Moderator
jersey_ninjas_1.gif
-VS-
jersey_panthers_1.gif

PREVIEW: MATCH OF THE ROUND
With so much to play for, and two teams capable of beating anyone in this competition, this is a worthy match of the round. It's sudden death for the Panthers but a win could elevate them into the semis. The Ninjas have no guarantee of a semi-final berth if other results go against them. Both teams appear to be a must-win situation!

Game Thread:
* This is a game thread only. Only game posts can be made here - team lists, substitutions, and articles.
* Any other posts may result in loss of points and is at the discretion of the referee.
* Only original articles, not used in previous games, will be marked by referees.

Naming Teams:
* 5 -V- 5 (+ 3 reserves for home sides; + 2 for away)
* No 'TBA' or changing players named
* Captains must stick with original teams named

Rules: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/rules.php
Official Word Counter: http://f7s.leagueunlimited.com/wordcount.php

FULL TIME: Sunday 26th August 2012 (You have until midnight)
Referee: Drew-sta
Venue: RELIANT STADIUM

NB: SEMI-FINALS KICK OFF ON AUG 30

Big Mick

Referee
Panthers take the field for this vital last round:

1. Madunit
2. Leaguenut
3. Big Mick
4. Broncoman
5. Panfas

RES:
6. Abpanther
7. Didgi

LeagueNut

First Grade
LeagueNut (Panthers)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Confusion

I’m writing this story using Comic Sans.

Some of you may be aware there’s plenty of hatred out there for Comic Sans – there’s a whole movement dedicated to getting rid of it, and there are others equally dedicated to ensuring it survives. But what does it really matter? It’s still words on a page or letters on a screen, you can still read it to understand what’s going on – is it really that important how it looks?

Anyway, let’s think about sport for a second. If you’re reading this there’s a good chance you’re a Rugby League fan. There are plenty of other sports out there also trying to capture your attention and I dare say most of us would happily tune in to the odd game of cricket, soccer or maybe even Rugby Union and AFL – if you’re desperate.

It sounds basic, but most of us would watch sport because we find it enjoyable. When you’re cheering for your own team that makes sense, but when you’re watching “neutral” games you’ll often enjoy it just as much. The emotional investment into the result is gone and you can simply enjoy the spectacle for the pleasure it gives you.

But what makes a sport enjoyable to watch? When you’re flicking through the channels and stumble across a golf tournament being played somewhere, would you change the channel? It all comes down to personal taste – the late comedian George Carlin said watching golf was like “watching flies f**k”. Some sports will get your blood racing and others will put you straight to sleep.

Anyway, back to my lovely Comic Sans – some people have done a fair bit of research into why it’s become a target for hatred and scorn. Apparently having things like uneven weight distribution, unmodulated strokes and an inconsistent “letterfit” means your brain has to work harder to comprehend the writing, which in some people can cause those feelings of disdain. If it’s an “easy” font for your brain you’ll zip through with no problems, but the increased challenges of reading Comic Sans make comprehension that much harder. In basic terms, the style of Comic Sans doesn’t “make sense” – so the brain tunes out.

The brain can do this with other things too. Can you remember the first time you watched a game of Rugby League, and how long after that you became hooked? Sure, it may have taken a few games to grasp the concept and perhaps a few months to understand all the rules, but overall the objectives of the game made sense. Hold the ball, run forward, score a try – easy right?

The concept of golf completely makes sense – hit the ball into the hole. Just because I find it boring as hell it doesn’t mean I can’t appreciate the sporting nature of the contest. Some of those recent Olympic events are the same, I’ll never be able to sit through a synchronised swimming show without laughing at the absurdity of it, but at least your brain can understand what they’re trying to achieve.

And then there’s AFL.

Now I’m the kind of guy who will give people the benefit of the doubt. If AFL is so fanatically followed by a decent chunk of Australians, surely there must be something about it that matches the captivation of Rugby League? Every so often, when Pay TV is only showing golf or poker tournaments at 3am, I’ll flick over to the delayed AFL coverage just to see what the fuss is about – plus since I work for an Australian company seemingly over-run with AFL fans it’d be nice to have something to suck up to my bosses about.

I’ll see a guy running with a ball, then he’ll bounce it and catch it again. Why would he have to do that? Now he’s kicked it and ten people jump up, the ball is fumbled and rolls around for about 25 minutes. Instead of stopping this messy scramble, the crowds seem to be enjoying it – but nothing’s actually happening?!? Eventually someone picks it up again, and then they’ll do some sort of weird fist-pass to someone else.

Soon I’ll find myself sitting there with a furrowed brow, desperately trying to figure out what’s going on, wondering why everyone seems to be running around in circles on a field that seems ridiculously over-sized. Quite simply – IT DOESN’T MAKE ANY SENSE!

So there you have it. AFL is the Comic Sans of sport – long live Rugby League.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

747 words in the counter.

Sources:
http://bancomicsans.com/main/
http://comicsansproject.tumblr.com/
http://www.kadavy.net/blog/posts/why-you-hate-comic-sans/
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GeorgeCarlin

edabomb

First Grade
edabomb for the Ninjas

Butts, Cam & Keanu

It was August 2012 and the Wolf Pack was back together again. The unlikeliest of trebles – Tony Butterfield, Cameron Smith and Keanu Reeves. They’d met in 2005 when Tony Butterfield and Cameron Smith attended a Sydney Premiere of Constantine, representing the Rugby League Players Association. There had been some after event drinks, Keanu was in town promoting the movie and had headed over to hang out with the two when approached by some studio big wigs. The friendship had flourished from there amongst the treble, and they had hung out a couple more times since. This year Keanu made a quick weekend getaway to watch his friend represent the Storm, and obligatory drinking session following it.

The Storm eased to victory and the lads met up shortly afterwards to head to a bar. “So Cam – how did that wrestling coach from the Matrix I referred you to work out for the club?” asked Keanu. “Good, good mate. Some say we’ve revolutionised the game with our wrestling over the past five years. We won a couple of Premierships on the back of his advice so he’s done the trick”, replied Cam. “Oh so they reinstated those Championships then did they?” quizzed Keanu further. “No they didn’t! Cam and his mates just like to live in a world where they still have the titles” piped up Butterfield. “If you think about it the Storm are like the Matrix franchise – the first one was a barnstormer in 1999, while the second and third are best left alone” continued Butts. “Hey – Matrix Reloaded was underrated neo-noir – it just went over your head Antonio!” retorted Keanu.

“Butts, I’m not sure if you know this” started Cam, “it was actually Keanu that planted the idea of the salary cap incident”. “(laughter) And how did he do that Cam?” asked Butts. “He told me of his payment for Constantine – the finer details. The studio wouldn’t sign off on his contract – so the producers employed a Kylie Reeves as the Head Chef for the catering off the set. Payments went out to K. Reeves that bumped the salary up to the original offer – everyone was happy” replied Cam. “Yeah but I never encouraged you to put it into practise!” claimed Keanu, “that Franz Schubert dude is stricter than any Hollywood auditor, if you got the big three of DeNiro, DiCaprio and Crowe together you’d be lauded no matter what they cost”. “Ian Schubert, but yeah the system is broken where you can bring several stars into first grade and all you’re worrying about if who you’re going to have to release”, added Butts. Butts continued “that’s like making Matrix Reloaded without the Wachowski Brothers in charge.” “Swear to god I’m about to slug you in the face Tony!” said Keanu, now slightly inebriated.

“So how’d the Origin of State go this year guys? They got New Zealand in there yet?” quizzed Keanu. “No same old format, same old result. They even changed the rules this year to make it easier for Queensland – you’re allowed to run blockers like in the NFL” replied Butts. “You’re dreaming Butts – we would have won regardless of that try – which was a legal try” added Cam. “So guys, how controversial was it? Is this the type of thing I can sell to Hollywood? Sydney riots as Queensland steal title? The USA Olympic Basketball rort of 1966 revisited?” “Not unless you have a moaning, little weasel to play the part of Ricky Stuart on hand” said Cam. “Tom Cruise!” replied Keanu and Butts simultaneously.

“So Keanu – what’s going on with your career?” asked Butts. “I’m directing now. They’ve often said I’m one of the cereberal guys in Hollywood – so it was a natural transition” said Keanu. “Your thoughts did win us a couple of Premierships” added Cam. “Well I am trying to do things as a Director that won’t be stricken off IMDB – so hopefully I can consider the wider implications of my choices.” Cameron Smith starts crying into his beer.

“Okay Butts and Cam, another epic night out. Not quite in the league of that evening in Bangkok last year but I still had a heap of fun”. “Hey Keanu”, replied Cam, “good luck with the directing. Hopefully this time next year I have a ring, you have a new career and Tony has started supporting Queensland.” With that the lads headed off into the night, a great trio of friends with an unlikely bond.

Panfas

Juniors
Panfas runs on for the Panthers

===========

Black or Brown

Each year about this time there’s talk amongst Penrith Panther fans that the club should have a jersey change. Some fans want the nostalgia of returning to the roots of a brown and white jersey or to the 1991 premiership winning jersey. Other fans suggest creating an all-new playing strip with all new colours. My question is why should it change? Is the club really that unrecognisable?

Before the 1967 promotion to first grade the Penrith club used a blue, almost teal jersey. However when they were accepted into the NSWRL there were already clubs with predominantly blue jerseys (Parramatta, Canterbury, Newtown and new club Cronulla), so a decision was made that the club could not use a blue playing strip. The club changed to the brown and white that we all remember. At the end of the 1990 season the club decided to have a jersey change. A change not only for the look of the jersey but a change that made the club more marketable to both the fans of the club and rugby league fans in general. Brown was a popular colour in the 1960’s and 1970’s but quickly lost its appeal as the 1980’s approached. By the end of 1990 it was finally time to take this burden away from Penrith. To take away the stigma of the Chocolate Soldiers. To create a new club.

The 1991 season as we all know brought the first premiership back to Penrith in a 19-12 win over the Canberra Raiders. That was the first year in the new predominantly black playing strip. Instantly this jersey became a favorite of the fans.

The Panthers have had a black jersey for 22 years now, in that time they have had the following colours

· 1991 – 1996: Black / White / Green / Red / Yellow
· 1997 – 1999: Black / White / Green / Red
· 2000 – 2010: Black / White / Teal / Rust / Charcoal
· 2011 – Current: Black / White / Teal / Charcoal

The Panthers over the last 22 years have used a vast amount of different colours on the jersey. All of these colours except yellow have been a transition with the times to a more marketable colour. Should the club really re-invent the wheel yet again to appease the few fans that are unhappy with the jersey? The current club colours and designs I feel are the best yet and one would think the club has finally hit the mark.

An argument given to me by a fan of another club was that the Panthers should remove black from the jersey as black is not a marketable colour, and that other clubs use black. However this argument has clearly not been thought out. Firstly, the All Blacks jersey is probably the most recognisable and most popular jersey in all of Rugby (both League and Union). That jersey is black with no additional colours. Secondly the Penrith Panthers were one of the first clubs in the NRL to use black, well before the New Zealand Warriors or Cronulla Sharks (away jersey). The thought that the Panthers jersey is not marketable is poor. It is not that the jersey is not marketable; it is that the club is not marketable. 45 years of mediocre performances with the odd spike in 1991 and 2003 is the reason for a low number of supporters. Something that will change in the coming years if Phil Gould and Ivan Cleary achieve their goals.

As the club’s mascot is a Panther, it makes sense that the colour scheme is predominately black. What does not make sense is the changing of the colours over the years. However credit should be given to the club for not making major changes to the primary jersey since 2000. The same cannot be said about the secondary jersey. The club had decided to use multiple combinations during this time including a white jersey, teal jersey and who could forget that abomination of a jersey from 2002 -2006. I am in favour of a white secondary jersey as this gives the Panthers the best contrast to the primary jersey, something that the teal jersey’s failed to deliver.

Right now the Penrith Panthers have 3 ongoing jerseys and 1 seasonal (heritage) jersey. The 3 listed jerseys below pay homage to the 1991 premiership winning jersey with the horizontal lines at the bottom half of the jersey. This is the best combination the club has ever had. Lets just hope that the club sticks with these designs for many years to come.

images
images
images

==============

747 words (OWC) between the lines

jamesgould

Juniors
jamesgould for the Ninjas:

The Second Coming of Willie Mason

It’s been a tough season for Newcastle Knights fans. Coming into 2012, the club had a new owner, new players and the best coach of all time in Wayne Bennett. They were instilled in some markets as premiership favourites, and success was expected by even the most cautious supporter.

That success did not materialise, and the Knights will end the season well outside the top eight.

There have been plenty of positives, however, and the signs are good that 2013 will be a season to remember. One of those positives has been the mid-season signing of Willie Mason.

Mason signed with the Knights on the 18th of April, very much as his last resort. A deal with Wests Tigers had fallen through after objections by the club’s sponsors and members. This left Newcastle with the only offer that Mason could take – although the $40,000 was below what he was hoping for, he had little option but to sign.

The reservations were just as prevalent at Newcastle, and I will certainly put my hand up and admit I had as many as anyone. Here was a player who had barely played since a season with North Queensland in 2010. A season that was not anything to get too excited about, as they crashed to 15th place.

Then of course, there were all the off-field dramas that had plagued Mason throughout his career. From testing positive to recreational drugs, getting into scuffles at nightclubs, walking out on clubs ... nothing that was enough by itself to write him off for life, but added up it didn’t exactly portray Willie as the greatest individual you would want at the club.

Word was he had kept himself in the best fitness possible while out, working with personal trainers to maintain himself somewhere close to playing condition.

Upon joining the Knights, Mason played a game of NSW Cup to get some of that match fitness that he was missing. The signs looked good as Newcastle defeated the Illawarra Cutters 36-18 at Toyota Stadium. Despite burning lungs at a few stages (which he was kind enough to yell out to the sparse crowd about), Mason did enough to make first grade the next week.

Newcastle won Mason’s first game in the top grade, a 34-14 win against a weak Penrith side. Mason came off the bench for that, and their next game against the Sydney Roosters. That game ended in a 24-6 defeat, and sent Newcastle spiralling into a five match losing streak. It was also Mason’s final game on the bench, as he started for the remainder of the season.

Throughout the five match streak, Mason was one of the few shining lights for the Knights. His attitude and effort was something fans could admire and look forward to each week. His passion for the Knights was obvious as well. On the field, his numbers were nothing short of outstanding for a player that had spent so long out of the game, and was still finding his way back to full match-fitness.

Off the field, Mason was handed coffee club captaincy by Wayne Bennett – a club for forwards that gets together on days off to discuss tactics and do a bit of extra training. It’s not a stretch to assume that Mason’s enthusiasm has rubbed off on the forward pack in the second half of the season.

Now Willie is being spoken of as extremely likely to take the field for the Prime Minister’s XIII in Papua New Guinea, and maybe even an outside shot of making the full Australian side for their end of season international against New Zealand. With a full off-season under his belt, even at the age of 33, you can only see him getting better in 2013.

So, for the 2012 season, one of the biggest positives for me has been the signing of Willie Mason by the Newcastle Knights. At the start of the season I would never have considered it an outside possibility. When the signing was mooted, I reacted with outrage. Now, he’s one of the club’s most consistent players, a great role-model, and one I wouldn’t swap for the world.

It’s certainly a lesson that everybody deserves another shot, and not to judge people before you know firsthand what they can offer. It’s one I will remember, and next time my club is looking at signing a player with a colourful track record, I won’t make the same mistake.

749 words.

Big Mick

Referee
Big Mick lining up for the Panthers!

A Letter to John Grant

Dear John Grant,

Firstly, I would like to congratulate you on securing the immediate future of the NRL with a $1b television rights deal between incumbents Fox & Nine.

Understanding that you would be receiving many e-mails regarding on the potential spending of the TV rights deal, please find below some initiatives I believe will improve the NRL on & off the football field.

International adoption program:

• Improving the international product through NRL clubs each being allocated a developing nation. Allocated based on number of juniors & number of participants in countries’ competition.
• 2 players in that country developed by NRL club are exempt from salary cap as long as player remains playing for that country and does not divert to Australian to play SOO. If that is done, cap penalty would be salary charged at 150% for cap purposes.
• Benefit would be to improve international game as well as expanding NRL player base to cater for further expansion of the game to other areas including Perth, Adelaide & Wellington.

Improvement of salary cap compensation:

• On top of the salary cap increasing to potentially $5-6m, there is potential to expand concessions outside of the cap:
o Payments made to rookies temporarily promoted to NRL to replace a player transferred to long term injury list.
o Payments made to marquee players for marketing & promotional purposes allowing NRL to top up contracts to high profile players.
o Living expenses & relocation expenses for players moving out of usual home for period of time.
o Introduction of veteran list – NRL clubs can nominate up to 4 players per year to be included on veteran list (10 year player for club). No restriction on total number however allocated per player (i.e. 1 player – 100% dispensation, 2 players – 50% dispensation etc).

Restructuring of Representative schedule:

• During the State of Origin series, there is a 4-week knock-out mid-season competition. This competition would be under the banner of a new sponsor with prize money of $250k to be distributed to the players.
• The games would not be played in traditional areas. Some games to be played in potential expansion areas, in the country and also internationally to expose the game to new boundaries.
• To go along with the final game of the Origin Series the final of the knock out competition would be held on the Friday night. On the Saturday there would be the NYC Origin game. Then the finale would be the Origin game on Sunday, creating a festival like atmosphere.

New media opportunities:

• Implementing initiatives championed by the NFL, there are a number of opportunities to explore.
• Firstly, the creation of NRL Films, a strong investment which would offer additional programming opportunities to TV stations, offering greater exposure to the NRL players & coaches as well as greater online media opportunities.
• New TV programs would include:
o Hard Knocks – A program which goes inside one team’s pre-season preparation over 6 weeks. Unprecedented access to coaches, players & allowing public to see new side to players.
o NRL Total Access – A daily NRL program for 1 hour discussing the day’s issues, the teams, profiling players & giving opportunities to former players to train broadcast skills.

Creating a better Game Day experience for NRL fans

• Supporters of the game have long felt that value for money at the football does now no longer exist. This is primarily due to cost of tickets + food but there is also a lack of value for money in the football product.
• A National Reserve Grade competition would bring in additional viewers & an appropriate pathway for players that do not progress directly from NYC.
• The Reserve Grade & Toyota Cup would be played prior to the NRL game allowing fans to experience 3 games once again.
• A new ticket package that would offer families 50% off admittance as well as food packages as a pre-purchase which could be purchased in advance of the game at a cheaper rate than when purchased at the game.
• For every away fixture the first 5,000 season ticket holders of the away team will be able to apply for free admittance – boosting membership incentive, attendance and concession sales.

Apologies for the length of the e-mail Mr Grant, however, it was necessary to provide enough detail that an image for the initiatives could be created. I certainly hope you take some of the initiatives on board in moving the game to the position where it should be domestically and Internationally.

Kindest Regards,
Michael

745 words OWC

joshie

Live Update Team
Joshie for the Ninjas

-----------------------------------------

Cowboys bring down desperate Dragons

North Queensland Cowboys have won against a desperate Dragons side, 32-22, in front of 9,245 rugby league fans at WIN Stadium after some brilliant play from captain Johnathan Thurston.

After some questionable calls from referee Ashley Klein, the Cowboys posted the first points on the board. With Matthew Bowen almost splitting the defensive line apart, the North Queenslanders worked it out wide with some simple run around plays as Ashley Graham notched the first four pointer. Johnathan Thurston made sure they took the 6 point advantage in the seventh minute.

The 14th minute saw some Queensland super stardom combine to send former Dragon Kane Linnett crashing over the line. Johnathan Thurston drew in two attackers, using an inside decoy runner, before passing out the back to Matt Bowen who passed it off to Linnett who used his strength to score.

After a weight of football, the Dragons got themselves back within 6 when Ben Creagh burrowed his way over the line. Soward converted but it was not all happy days for the Red V. Off the kick off, Creagh dropped the ball effecting a scrum for the Cowboys, who used fullback Matt Bowen to drift right across field, before giving a great ball to Kane Linnett on the inside, changing direction at pace. He beat everyone to the line before Thurston took their lead back to 12 after 30 minutes at 18-6.

And as if the game was being played at Wimbledon, the Dragons got right back into the match with an outstanding try 3 minutes later. Mitchell Rein came from dummy half getting in the Cowboys' line, before passing to Jack De Belin, who then offloaded in traffic on his way to the ground back to Rein who scored under the posts.

The Dragons were not done though, with Daniel Vidot finishing off some great work. Two good passes wide of the ruck, had Soward cutting the ball out to the waiting winger who easily strolled over untouched. Jamie Soward could not get the Dragons onto level terms as the Cowboys lead 18-16 at half-time.

St. Geogre Illawara got in front for the first time in the 44th minute after Dan Hunt hit a lazy defensive gap. Hunt's try was sent to the video referee but the replays showed he had not knocked on. Soward extended their lead to 22-18.

In the 53rd minute, a wild brawl was sparked by a facial from a Cowboys defender before Vidot ran in throwing punches. Ricky Thorby then ran in and pulled him out of the way but the referees felt the need for both players to be put in the sin bin. Thorby was binned for running in, while Vidot was binned for throwing punches when he was no where near the play.

Johnathan Thurston scored his first try under seemingly conversational circumstances in the 60th minute. The captain of the North Queensland Cowboys managed to skip through Dragons defenders quite easily, before he seemed to have run behind one of his men denying the defence a chance. The video referee deemed it was a try and the Cowboys led by two.

In the very next set, Matthew Bowen crashed over finishing off some great play from his captain once again. Thurston put Tate through a yawning gap out wide, before he offloaded back inside to Thurston who stumbled, before passing to Bowen who dived to score. Thurston converted and the Cowboys took a commanding lead once again.

Johnathan Thurston was put in the sin bin in the 79th minute after a professional foul, but it was no matter to anyone, as the Cowboys won the game.

The Dragons will now have to regroup and play the Warriors at Win Stadium next Saturday, in what surely will be a dead rubber match, whilst the Cowboys will continue their finals preparations with an intriguing match against the Knights at Dairy Farmers Stadium next Saturday.

Hallatia

Referee
I think I'm too late, I was going to post it in the nick of time but my computer locked me out and lagged, sorry team, but it looks like we have 3 v 3 and I'll save mine for another match

Big Mick

Referee
Hallatia I'm fine for you to post it if you want.

Because Madunit had an article ready last week that I can post by proxy. I'd like to keep his streak alive if possible.

edabomb

First Grade
Probably best to leave it as a 3 v 3 I reckon. Bit unfair on other sides if we start posting articles 12hrs after full time, just my opinion.

All good gUt - I should have sent a reminder PM out.

Drew-Sta

Staff member
Results

Panthers - 257
LeagueNut - 84
Interesting comparison of ComicSans to AFL. I would also argue that it is valid. Was hard to read though ;)
Panfas - 85
I liked it. Well thought out argument for keeping the current jersey and made sense. Well done!
Big Mick - 88
Well done Mick, great article. Well thought out, detailed and highlighted a lot of changes I would want too. If only you had a direct line to Grant.

Ninjas - 249
edabomb - 79
Mate, I'm really sorry, but I just didn't get it. Not sure what the point was or 'punch'. The structure with dialog was difficult to read as it was all in one big block. I know you were heading for the 'Hangover' idea, but I just didn't get the relation properly.
jamesgould - 84
Good effort. Well written and also quite true - Willie has been a beacon of light in a dour year for you guys.
joshie - 86
Excellently written game review. Covered major details and was honest in observation. Keep it up!

Panthers defeat Ninjas (257 to 249)

Backpacker points:
3 - Big Mick
2 - joshie
1 - Panfas

edabomb

First Grade
Cheers Ref. Haha no problem about the mark - it was a terrible idea that was terribly executed :lol:

Congrats to Penrith on the win - very strong effort across the park! Well done to joshie on a great article too.

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Backpacker Award Points

Big Mick - 3 points
joshie - 2 points
Panfas - 1 point

joshie

Live Update Team
Wow, picked up some backpacker points for the first time in 2012. Pretty happy with that!

Thanks Ref :)

Big Mick

Referee
Wow...this has been the best year I've had for BP points. I'm shocked lol.

Thanks Drew-Sta much appreciated!