What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

dave furner

munge

Juniors
credit must be given where credit is due. he has done very well, and he has given this side so many options in attack. they have the ability to beat anyone and regardless of what the fans say, a lot that has to do to the coaching of burner and the structures he's put in place.

the other thing is keep in mind the raiders have done all this without their chief playmaker and arguably their best player (terry campese) for the whole season. tell me how many other sides would make the finals if they lost their dominant playmaker for the whole season. cowboys lose thurston and they look horrible, tigers lose farah and they get beat by 30 to everyone and when storm lose crank they can't score a point

Allo

Juniors
I remember many Raiders fans calling for his head.
I wonder if they still feel this way now?

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Dave can come up with a game plan........no doubt about that.

His problem has more to do with player management and getting the best out of them. It's arguable that it's the players responsibility but a good coach will have his players firing.

Fans were calling for his head after a poor start to the season and getting absolutely belted by the Tigers and Cowboys about halfway through. Last year we were 1 loss away from the spoon.

Apart from a golden run at the end of 2010, we haven't offered much in Furner's tenure. I think fans had every right to be up in arms.

But I'm really happy for Dave after this run. It's tough seeing one of the clubs legends subjected to so much criticism when you know how much he loves the club and would have been busting his a*rse the last 4 seasons. To get the results he's been getting with such a young team has been a fantastic effort and I hop they keep it up.

legend

Coach
Well I will congratulate Furner once we are in the finals, and it would take an absolute disaster for us to miss out now. The side are playing with purpose, direction and skill and would give any of the top four teams a real good run at the moment.

credit to him , he's got the players playing with confidence and the right attitude.

Something that wasnt there earlier in the year.

parra pete

Referee
Tough people love tough times, and David is a tough person..Pressure will bring the best out of him...Go the Raiders...

innerwestrabbit

Juniors
As a Rabbits fan, I really enjoy watching the raiders when they are on there game. Good luck to Furner, great player and I hope he does well as a coach. I,m pretty sure if the raiders come into the finals with that sort of form. They will be handful that's for sure. I hope we don't have to play your boys

He deserved the recent criticism, like he deserves the current plaudits.

The jury is still very much out ATM regarding Furner, however I just want to enjoy the run we are currently on.

legend

Coach
Yep, recriminations can come after the season concludes and it will depend on how we fare in the finals, assuming we make it.

mongoose

Coach
Wonder what he said at half-time today?

I have to say he has really proven his worth these last 8 weeks. However once again expectations will be high next season, anything less than top 5 will be a disappointment.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
I've bashed Furner but I give him absolute Kudos and congratulations for turning us around. All I've ever asked from this team is to show some ticker and they have done that over the last 6 plus weeks. And Furner and the players deserve credit for that. Let's get a packed crowd on Sunday.

sydraider

First Grade
I've bashed Furner but I give him absolute Kudos and congratulations for turning us around. All I've ever asked from this team is to show some ticker and they have done that over the last 6 plus weeks. And Furner and the players deserve credit for that. Let's get a packed crowd on Sunday.

This.

I'm very happy for the entire team, Furner and staff included, but have no faith in his ability to maintain and build on this position next year and in subsequent years thereafter.

parra pete

Referee
Tough people emerge when tough times come along. Dave Furner is a TOUGH bloke, totally committed to the Club and to the team. More good things to come in 2012...

Rocket

Juniors
I'm very happy for the entire team, Furner and staff included, but have no faith in his ability to maintain and build on this position next year and in subsequent years thereafter.

The Raiders really need to recognise that it was a joint effort that got them out of their mid season slump to where they are now. What I fear is that the players will think they did it as individuals in spite of Furner, Furner will think he did it more than the players and McIntyre and the other administrators will see it as a vindication of the way they run things and all is well on the family farm.

So we get to next year and the same toxic culture rears its ugly head.

Id like to think with the experience and maturing of the players and coaches we should not start next season like this year.

Credit to everyone for turning the season around.

Mid way through the year we were heading for the spoon but to finish on 30 points and 6th is incredible.

d-a-z-z-a

Juniors
i have pesronally ripped into David Furner many times, i agree he deserves some credit for turning our year around.

it is hard to truly comment on this situation, as i think things can be percieved in one of two ways, one way is that he coached well, lost his captain and pivot (Campese) and it took the team some time to adjust to his loss, once they did they came good and did well (you can look at newcastle for a similar result), or you can look at our past years and ignore injuries and say that we are bloody inconsistant and furner has little to no control over the team.

i guess for me, the best way to view things is to ease off Furner a little bit, hope that we can have a full season next year with campo, dugan and mccrone fully fit and then see how we go and then we will finally know the truth about David Furner.

ANyway thanks for the great year Furner, regardless of how good or bad you are, i have somehow enjoyed how this season has worked out. good stuff Furner and the Raiders