What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Penrith's clours?

Pomoz

Bench
That's fine.
Glad to get you fellas thinking about it.
It is an issue and I think the Cronulla comparison is an apt one. Both clubs joined at the same time and one club has kept their colours and to a large extent are now keeping their very identifiable strip.
Hope your club does find a rugby league style type jumper and sticks with whatever colours(hopefully unique) and not continually change them.
Thats my advice.
Be recognised or suffer in the market place.

So far its suffering in the market place that prevails!

LJC, have you heard of a club called Manchester United? They shift the odd bit of merchandise, probably more successfully than any other sports team in the world. Have a look at this site: "historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_United/Manchester_United.htm".
They have kept the same basic colours, which I think we all agree is essential, but they change the style of their strip every other year. Sometimes the changes are quite stark - this year they added a gingham pattern (looks shite if you ask me, but no accounting for taste). This hasn't impacted their brand in the slightest. Thing is, brand is not just the style of the strip. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. There is enough evidence elsewhere to show that changes in style may not damage your brand. In fact wearing the "latest" Manu U kit is a bit of fashion statement for the fans. On the other hand, playing football that is so appallingly dull that even the parents and spouses of the players chuck sickies on game day, will damage your brand every time. Football so bad that you book root canal dental surgery when home games are on. Football so bad.... Ithink you get the message.

If this was the English Premier League, because we are so bad other fans would have a chant for us that would be something like "Are you England, are you England are you England in disguise". Although given the current SOO malaise, it might be "Are you NSW in disguise". And the blackhole would have a chant that says "were shit and we know we are".
Fix the footy, keep the colours, shift the jerseys.

darkbloom

Juniors
LJC, have you heard of a club called Manchester United? They shift the odd bit of merchandise, probably more successfully than any other sports team in the world. Have a look at this site: "historicalkits.co.uk/Manchester_United/Manchester_United.htm".
They have kept the same basic colours, which I think we all agree is essential, but they change the style of their strip every other year. Sometimes the changes are quite stark - this year they added a gingham pattern (looks shite if you ask me, but no accounting for taste). This hasn't impacted their brand in the slightest. Thing is, brand is not just the style of the strip. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. There is enough evidence elsewhere to show that changes in style may not damage your brand. In fact wearing the "latest" Manu U kit is a bit of fashion statement for the fans. On the other hand, playing football that is so appallingly dull that even the parents and spouses of the players chuck sickies on game day, will damage your brand every time. Football so bad that you book root canal dental surgery when home games are on. Football so bad.... Ithink you get the message.

If this was the English Premier League, because we are so bad other fans would have a chant for us that would be something like "Are you England, are you England are you England in disguise". Although given the current SOO malaise, it might be "Are you NSW in disguise". And the blackhole would have a chant that says "were shit and we know we are".
Fix the footy, keep the colours, shift the jerseys.

Praise be to God that there is someone who can talk sense on this matter. Well done Pomoz

Panther67

Juniors
I heard that we will have new jerseys next season, and will have new material. Hopefully we will have something similar to the current away jersey, but in black.

murraymob

Coach
be interesting to see how they promote any new jersey and how they sell it.Given the fact the are closing down a forum that was a real selling and promotional point for them.Have they even hired a new merchandise manager
Mr Gould is brilliant with anything football but sadly has a 1960 approach to anything retail or promotional

Big Mick

Referee
You mean the forum that only had 800 members? Yeah that would drive a shitload of merchandise sales.

How will we live without such a promotional tool!

murraymob

Coach
You mean the forum that only had 800 members? Yeah that would drive a shitload of merchandise sales.

How will we live without such a promotional tool!

yes mick 800 peaople equalls sales.Knowing about a jersey and potential discounts that no longer get that information.Regardless of what you think yes that is a loss of potential sales

darkbloom

Juniors
Mr Gould is brilliant with anything football but sadly has a 1960 approach to anything retail or promotional

He should stick to football and motivational talks. Running a corporation or a business is well beyond his capability.

Him and Feltis are at each others throats.

Neither have a clue about business.

franklin2323

Immortal
be interesting to see how they promote any new jersey and how they sell it.Given the fact the are closing down a forum that was a real selling and promotional point for them.Have they even hired a new merchandise manager

They won't get a new merchandise manger. Shaun brought in plenty of great things which the powers that be disagreed with. like the 1912 range. They want a basic range. So it's not worth getting a manger for that.

Aside from the last 2 heritage jersey's. I haven't liked our last few jersey's enough to by. Some of the polos etc were nice so I bought 2-3 a season. If I don't like the jersey and there's only 1 style polo. I will buy the polo then what? you have a bigger range you get more business it's simple

Panfas

Juniors
I read on the Panthers facebook page someone mentioned we are moving from ISC to Asics. I dont know if that person was just having a lend, but I hope it is true.

LJC

Juniors
To the Manchester United comment:

Manchester United have not and do not have the identity problem of Penrith.

As I mentioned before a club like Cronulla are easily identifiable within the market place! Penrith are not! Both these clubs entered the League at the same time.

Despite winning premierships Penrith lack the identity and recognisability of the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks!

The OX

Juniors
I still cant see how they can be called jerseys.

They are not identical to the shirts the players wear.

They are merely T shirt copies that they sell for $170

I know of a few kids who have had a clip under the ear for ripping their "jersey" while playing at the park....

Get real!

murraymob

Coach

As I mentioned before a club like Cronulla are easily identifiable within the market place! Penrith are not! Both these clubs entered the League at the same time.

Despite winning premierships Penrith lack the identity and recognisability of the Cronulla Sutherland Sharks!

just who are the sharks recognisable to gold fish tuna fish just who.This club you talk about the gummys have a black jersey.Is that your agenda have this jersey for your club.Show me any facts that cronulla out sell penrith jerseys on a year to year bases.

Cronulla are having a great year so jerseys are selling.Put a penrith jersey and a cronulla jersey together and ask non league people who the jerseys are and neither will be recognised.Ask league people and both will be recognised

.Cronulla are no further in any market than penrith

Pomoz

Bench

LJC, I don't know where you get this idea that there is no recognisable colour set for Penrith. They switched to predominantly black in 1991. It is still predominantly black 22 years and two premierships later. A Panther is black (not brown and certainly not bloody teal). Ergo why black was chosen. There have been some alternative colour jerseys, but they were not the main strip. There have been different designs, but as I pointed out, that works for other sporting franchises so I disagree with you, based on evidence I see elsewhere, I don't think it's a problem.

LJC

Juniors
If its no problem, then why is penrith the most consitent poor performer for jumper sales?
Just tried to get you Panther fans working on a distinct and appealing rugby league style jumper/outfit.

I'd love to see the Panther jumper be the most popular in the League but this is not going to happen. I am suggesting the reasons why and hopefully getting the Panther fans to crack the code!

Distinct and appealing market recognition is a big part of the answer and this is primarily from the jumper the club wears! The track record is not good.

Good luck!

murraymob

Coach
ljc

here are a few points for you to anwser yes or no to

1.winning teams sell more jumpers
2.penrih last won 2003 that will cause poor jumper sales
3. a panther is black

while i appreciate and enjoy your input.Sales figures are only as good as the people keeping them.I have seen nothing that suggests cronulla out sells penrith or that blue would outsell back as the main colour of this club