What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The 2012/13 Off Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gronk

Staff member
I thought I'd start a thread to get us through another off season.

==============

I LOL'd at a story a mate told me yesterday. He was at the Rugby on the w/e watching a lower grades game (Manly ?) before the main game.

Winner goes to the GF, loser eliminated. Anyway, one team was 1 or 2 points ahead and the final siren is sounded. The winning team jump up in unison celebrating the GF spot. The ball carrier also celebrates by throwing the ball up in the air and out into the crowd. Oops, you can't throw the ball out intentionally in rugby and he gets penalised for negative play. The other side kicks the penalty goal and they go into the GF and the others get eliminated.

#facepalm #-o

==============

Anyone else with a bad beat story ?

==============

I LOL'd at a story a mate told me yesterday. He was at the Rugby on the w/e watching a lower grades game (Manly ?) before the main game.

Winner goes to the GF, loser eliminated. Anyway, one team was 1 or 2 points ahead and the final siren is sounded. The winning team jump up in unison celebrating the GF spot. The ball carrier also celebrates by throwing the ball up in the air and out into the crowd. Oops, you can't throw the ball out intentionally in rugby and he gets penalised for negative play. The other side kicks the penalty goal and they go into the GF and the others get eliminated.

#facepalm #-o

==============

Yep 1998 semi vs the dogs 7 mins to go. Enter Paul Carige,Shane Wherate an the funky crew, the rest is history.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
In a group seven reserve grade grand final in the mid nineties - I watched a side behind by 1 point get a penalty on full time in front of the posts and about 25 metres out - the kicker missed !! In the space of about two minutes both sides got to experience the joy of winning and losing the big one .

Yep 1998 semi vs the dogs 7 mins to go. Enter Paul Carige,Shane Wherate an the funky crew, the rest is history.

Personally, and while I was a big fan, I think Clinton Schifcofske was the cause of 2 of those tries, he just wasn't up to the fitness level required after his Rib injury.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
That's the coolest thing ever and let me tell you why.

When he was a lower grader at the Eels my sister used to crack up because he had buck teeth and his name rhymes with the number he used to wear (22). Ah the Andrew Frew impersonations that used to get thrown around during otherwise dull halftime breaks...

I just told her about this and we shared some continued schadenfreude. Twenty-two-Andrew-Frew. Bringing families together.

Gronk

Staff member
That's the coolest thing ever and let me tell you why.

When he was a lower grader at the Eels my sister used to crack up because he had buck teeth and his name rhymes with the number he used to wear (22). Ah the Andrew Frew impersonations that used to get thrown around during otherwise dull halftime breaks...

I just told her about this and we shared some continued schadenfreude. Twenty-two-Andrew-Frew. Bringing families together.

It would probably be more entertaining than what Mark Warren could dish up. We should give you both the microphone.

#whathappenedtothefatpizzadudes

eels81236

Bench

==============

#facepalm #-o

==============

I don't know if anyone knows anything about baseball but...

I'm the closer in the GF. Tieing run at third, go ahead run on first who can really run. One out. Need a ground ball for a double but worried about the stolen base. I get called for a balk, my first and only balk I ever got called on. Game tied. I then throw a c**k high hanging curve ball that landed about 600 feet away. Game over.

parra pete

Referee
4. Justin Poore
6. Grant Rix
7. Brian Bevan
8. Nigel Tait
10. Matt Petersen
13. Steve Kneen

I assume you mean Neigel Tait....could play....the boy from Weethalle where they breed them tough...Ended up Captain/Coach of Tumbarumba..
Don't understand the significance of that team though Bart..Please explain?

84 Baby

Referee
I don't know if anyone knows anything about baseball but...

I'm the closer in the GF. Tieing run at third, go ahead run on first who can really run. One out. Need a ground ball for a double but worried about the stolen base. I get called for a balk, my first and only balk I ever got called on. Game tied. I then throw a c**k high hanging curve ball that landed about 600 feet away. Game over.
Winning run at 2, free base at 1 and assuming a batter with power to tonk your curve a long way... Why didn't you walk him? At least would have opened you up to double play again.

Referreed a junior soccer GF of moderate level. Was end to end game but mainly controlled by one team, who I later found out had gone the season undefeated with no draws either and were actually playing the team that finished 3rd in regular season, anyway it was amazingly (well perhaps not for soccer) still nil all near end of regulation, the undefeated team heaved the ball ahead for their striker, keeper came out to stop it, took out the striker (outside box) and so I sent him off. They took one of the best free kicks for that level I have ever seen, with a well rehearsed runover move. Ball skimmed the topright of the crossbar for a goal kick, new keeper had no chance. But what the new keeper did have was a massive kick. Put the ball well over halfway, striker picked it up, took it to just outside the box, falling over from a tackle, flung the boot at the ball, sailed inch perfectly over the keeper's head and scored the only goal. I blew fulltime whilst the previously undefeated team, appealed for offside (wasn't).

bartman

Immortal
I assume you mean Neigel Tait....could play....the boy from Weethalle where they breed them tough...Ended up Captain/Coach of Tumbarumba..
Don't understand the significance of that team though Bart..Please explain?
Yep, that's the one PP.

The team was continuing from Pou's post about Frew's name rhyming with his jersey (22) and Maroubra's post where he started off a team in that vein.

Hard to think of a surname that rhymes with twelve though! :lol:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The beautiful thing about Frew though, besides his buck teeth, is that his first name and his surname rhyme with his old jersey number.

Status
Not open for further replies.