What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Justin Morgan

spear tackle

Juniors
Heard his name mentioned as a candidate for the coaching job.
Don't know what his win/loss rate in ESL was like but from memory when he played for us he was a player in the Michael Luck mold as in he never took a backwards step and was a good communicater both on and off the feild.
Is he at the Raiders at the moment?

Ollie Webb

Juniors
Heard his name mentioned as a candidate for the coaching job.
Don't know what his win/loss rate in ESL was like but from memory when he played for us he was a player in the Michael Luck mold as in he never took a backwards step and was a good communicater both on and off the feild.
Is he at the Raiders at the moment?

Assistant Coach at the Raiders, gossip is that he was the main difference in their late season revival this year!

Warmess

Juniors
Yeah, I heard he has much more involvement at the Raiders than your average Asst coach. Might not be too bad, and I'd be interested to see what his overall coaching style is like. I'd far prefer him than Sheens tbh.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Morgan was very much the journeyman player- limited talent, good attitude and work ethic. But as Mark Rippetoe points out, it's mediocre athletes who make good coaches. Exceptional athletes are generally poor coaches because as players they could get by on natural talent.

spear tackle

Juniors
Yeah, I heard he has much more involvement at the Raiders than your average Asst coach. Might not be too bad, and I'd be interested to see what his overall coaching style is like. I'd far prefer him than Sheens tbh.

I wouldn't mind either at this point in time.

Aragorn

First Grade
It depends on what his ethos is.

If he is mad about fitness, defence and obessed with winning, then sign him up!!!

hitman82

Bench
Well from recent media reports it sounds like CB is off, TS is off, and we have three assistants and one failed head coach keen for the job. If that is so, Morgan would be my pick of the 4.

vvvrulz

Coach
Morgan was very much the journeyman player- limited talent, good attitude and work ethic.

My main memory of Justin Morgan as a player was a magic pass that set Toopi off to equalize in the last minute against the Doggies in Wellington. Too bad Stacey missed the kick!

JoeD

First Grade
My main memory of Justin Morgan as a player was a magic pass that set Toopi off to equalize in the last minute against the Doggies in Wellington. Too bad Stacey missed the kick!
Good times . . .

If we can't get CB then I'd be happy enough with him.

Scott

Bench
Yeah i'd be pretty happy with Justin Morgan.

He did well at Hull KR, obviously has had a big role to play in the Raiders run during the season and from the bits i've seen over the years on Sky's Super League coverage he always came across well in both knowledge and overall media responibilities.

That pass at the cake tin in 2001 was a corker. He had plenty of skill as a player!

Aragorn

First Grade
I just what to know what his philosophy is on coaching. Hope its not all about flair, unleashing the polynesians strenghts and natural talent in attack, relying on home grown players and then waiting for the penny to drop... hahaha Bluey, you clueless knob....

LeagueNut

First Grade
It'd be interesting having a gay coach too. Could open up a whole new market for season tickets.

ramraider275

Juniors
I'm undecided on his coaching ability due to his limited NRL CV, but if he is our best applicant , well he could get longer then Bluey to get it right, LOL

Iafeta

Referee
Looking through all the supposed contenders, I would think Morgan must be firming as a favourite...

Bellamy - under contract, seems very content with the Melbourne Scum.
Sheens - likely to get the punt, but apparently now gun shy of coming to Auckland.
Flanagan - under contract, Sharks have a bit of dough now so unlikely to let their first successful coach in years go
Iro - would have a series of doubters after being involved in this years nonsense
Ackland - seems a bit... out there. I think the club would prefer he stays involved developing the 20s.
Kearney - have to be very reluctant after whats happened at Parra.
Morgan - has come to Auckland before, has ESL experience, apparently done a good job with Canberra, Canberra would as I understand it begrudgingly let him go for a head coaches role

I fail to see any other serious contenders. Smith... surely they're very hesitant on him. Brown... Potter et al, I would see skepticism over recruiting purely from the ESL knowing what happened with Duncey McClennan. Daniel Anderson, unusual for a club to go back to the well twice. Matt Elliott, surely the club would steer clear of this bloke. The only others who I have barely heard in dispatches are Rick Stone and Jason Taylor, but I don't see any credibility in the brief mentions of those blokes. Jim Dymock would be a good get, but he seems very ensconsed in being in Sydney.

To me, Morgan appears to be the favourite for the position. It seems their preferred option is Bellamy which is the right one, but it'd be one hell of a hail mary play to get him here I suspect.

Latest posts