What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crowd Watch Mk 3

mattyg

Bench
apparently 62k sold as of this afternoon. With tomorrow and walk up sales I think we can crack the 70k mark :)

I am just posting this so when I hit the 'New Posts' button this thread has a tick next to it so I know to look at it.

Thanks.

Red Bear

Referee
2005 might have been slightly higher. My count is 1,502,434 over 94 games for 15,983. Manly (8th), Penrith (10th), Easts (9th) and Cronulla (7th) actually drew really well that year :sarcasm:
Easts coming off the tail end of the Fittler era/Penrith off the 03-04 good season and Manly good for the first time in several years probably explains it

AtholSmith

Juniors
Good article by Bellamy. And Raiderdave in the grand scheme of things overall crowds and overall revenue from those crowds is more important than any year to year rise or decline or stagnation.

Rugby League is great to watch live but on tv because of the nature of the game you see the vast majority of what is happening the majority of the time in the standard tv angle. The only thing you consistently miss is when and how the back 3 get in position to recover kicks. With AFL what is happening 50m either side of the ball is just as important as what is happening where the ball is. People that don't like/understand the game won't get it even if they watch the game but for the rest of us there is a massive difference between tv AFL and live AFL.

That is the primary reason for the difference in crowds. Not because Melbourne people are somehow superior humans to Sydney people, but because the nature of the game and its relationship with tv. And that reality provides both pros and cons to both codes. It allows the AFL to charge double what the NRL is for prelim tickets while getting a similar crowd in Sydney. On the other hand rugby league gets more consistent ratings which helps with tv rights negotiations.

Again, I don't agree with this. Going to the AFL is like going to the races, most of the time you're miles from the action and can't see it. It's better on TV. What gets me is that their ticket prices are double, yet their sales numbers are comparable - the AFL are still miles ahead. I think the simple truth is that there are many more people (especially in Victoria/SA/WA) that are more passionate about AFL, than there are in NSW/QLD who are passionate about NRL. We need to work on that.

Also, we are more concerned with taking away enthusiasm for AFL in Sydney than generating publicity and enthusiasm for NRL, which manifests itself as our inferiority complex. In Melbourne, the AFL followers don't appear like they have an inferiority complex, because they don't hate NRL, they're just indifferent, because they're too busy going nuts about their AFL club and game.

Last edited:

Teddyboy

First Grade
Again, I don't agree with this. Going to the AFL is like going to the races, most of the time you're miles from the action and can't see it. It's better on TV. What gets me is that their ticket prices are double, yet their sales numbers are comparable - the AFL are still miles ahead. I think the simple truth is that there are many more people (especially in Victoria/SA/WA) that are more passionate about AFL, than there are in NSW/QLD who are passionate about NRL. We need to work on that.

Also, we are more concerned with taking away enthusiasm for AFL in Sydney than generating publicity and enthusiasm for NRL, which manifests itself as our inferiority complex. In Melbourne, the AFL followers don't appear like they have an inferiority complex, because they don't hate NRL, they're just indifferent, because they're too busy going nuts about their AFL club and game.

The problem in NSW and QLD was you got 2 Rugby codes while Vic/SA/WA have one Aussie Rules code.

Raiderdave

First Grade

I don't care what victorians do in Victoria
I find them not indifferent ... but ignorant in the main about most sports where a singlet isn't involved.

We should however not put up with the AFL's BS & Lies in pursuit of their agenda .. in our own backyard & their attempts to buy hearts n minds should be called for what it is ... desperation.
we should take every opportunity to question their " dodgyness " & it was a never ending episode of it this year
thems the facts.

Billythekid

First Grade
This 'problem' is massively overstated. NRLs crowds are fine and as memberships continue to grow and as we actually start advertising the game a bit mroe (now that we can afford to) crowds will continue to go up.

We did almost break our record for crowd numbers and tomorrow will be one of if not the highest ever crowd for a non GF match. Not too bad imo.

This whole thing is being blown way out of proportion as everyone freaks out because the swans are going to get a good crowd. It wasn't that long ago that they could get crowds like that against collingwood in the regular season. Guess what? It didn't mean AFL was taking over or the NRL was struggling then and it certainly doesn't now.

This week we will have a near sold out game in Melbourne and one of our biggest ever crowds in Sydney. Not a bad situation.

franklin2323

Immortal
prior to 2009 we would have jumped at a crowd figure of 50,000.

What were the membership numbers then? about 1/2 of now. Both teams have 20k+ members. Add the 10-15k each passive fans. That's 70k there.

If 2 of Dragons, Parra, Tigers, Bulldogs & South play 70k should be the minimum. The problem here is the advertising, publicy etc has been terrible members know but some of the passive may not be sure.

AtholSmith

Juniors
We should however not put up with the AFL's BS & Lies in pursuit of their agenda .. in our own backyard & their attempts to buy hearts n minds should be called for what it is.

Agree with this, but it's our job to win NRL hearts and minds in Victoria, and also strengthen the game in NSW/QLD

Clifferd

Coach
kick off probably is still 5-10 mins away if Manly only just finished their warm up. Still plenty of time for it to fill up more

You are right now off course but historical you are wrong off course.

Historically wrong ?

At what point was union a threat to rugby league in Australia in the past 104 years?

Union has had probably 5 good years in all that time. And even then though only looked competitive to rugby league because we were coming out of the super league war.