What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Interstate Grand Final Coverage

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Being in WA I was hoping that we would be getting a decent coverage of the GF this year now that they have been showing games live on GEM, but have looked and as usual telecast starts 1/2 hour before kickoff.

Also noted that it is the same for Melbourne, even with their team in it. By comparison the AFL is on in Sydney 9AM-6PM Saturday. I suppose the main reason I'm a bit annoyed this year is because I'm a Tigers fan and we are in the Toyota Cup GF, and any sort of success for us this year is worth seeing. I cant understand why they dont put the early coverage on GEM and put the Main game on 9 after the 1/2 hour break.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
I can't find Sunday's schedule on YourTV.com.au or Ebroadcast.com.au... can only access my own local Foxtel Guide as far as Sunday.

NRL.com will publish an article in the coming days with broadcast details anyway, but I'm positive all states will have first grade live on Ch 9. Only NSW NT and QLD usually get the full days schedule though.

QLD also has the full day AFL coverage on channel 7.

Hopefully the new tv deal will see the full day coverage of the NRL in all states

Perth Red

Post Whore
Would have been nice to get the full coverage, don't suppose the commision even considered as a part of the new deal whilst I bet afl insisted on it. It's the little things that show the difference in the idea of growing a sport.

pcpp

Juniors
Did I just see on the Sunday Footy Show that the NRL Grand Final is being shown only on Gem in Victoria?? (and the other usual states)

Are Nine idiotic? Didn't the NRL Grand Final rate close to a million in Melbourne one year?

pcpp

Juniors
The Sunday Footy Show showed that Nine is showing the game on GEM in Victoria - hopefully its just a mistake but if it's not then it would be a massive loss for the game.

The Grand Final has traditionally rated very well on Channel 9 in Melbourne - even when the Storm wasn't involved and absolutely gangbusters when the Storm was involved.

Wouldn't this contravene the anti-siphoning laws or something? I remember reading somewhere 7 were forced to show the AFL GF on the main channel in Sydney and Brisbane.

El Diablo

Post Whore

El Diablo

Post Whore
Did I just see on the Sunday Footy Show that the NRL Grand Final is being shown only on Gem in Victoria?? (and the other usual states)

Are Nine idiotic? Didn't the NRL Grand Final rate close to a million in Melbourne one year?

i just rewinded it and they said the second half of their coverage would be at 4:30pm on GEM in those states

if they try to put the game on GEM someone should contact the ministers department tomorrow as it's not allowed

Western_Eel

Juniors
The Sunday Footy Show showed that Nine is showing the game on GEM in Victoria - hopefully its just a mistake but if it's not then it would be a massive loss for the game.

The Grand Final has traditionally rated very well on Channel 9 in Melbourne - even when the Storm wasn't involved and absolutely gangbusters when the Storm was involved.

Wouldn't this contravene the anti-siphoning laws or something? I remember reading somewhere 7 were forced to show the AFL GF on the main channel in Sydney and Brisbane.

Its still a free to air channel so it doesnt come into that law

El Diablo

Post Whore
as i just posted in another thread

didn't see it but they can't show it on a multichannel as it's Tier A http://www.dbcde.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0004/149467/Future_anti-siphoning_list.pdf

only Tier B can be shown exclusively on a multichannel

i just rewinded it and they said the second half of their coverage would be at 4:30pm on GEM in those states

if they try to put the game on GEM someone should contact the ministers department tomorrow as it's not allowed

flippikat

Bench

Will be interesting to see if the NRL will make any demands over free-to-air coverage in NZ - the delay for games on Prime is terrible.

With no anti-syphoning laws here - the only way to get sport on free-to-air TV is for the governing body to demand it when they negotiate rights.

In NZ if you pay, you get a far better deal than over the ditch - On Sky Sport we get the vast majority of games live and in HD. The Channel 9 games take a direct feed where we see everything that happens between tries when Australian audiences are watching commercials.

However the free-to-air replays are shown hours later on Sky's FTA Prime network - it's almost impossible for those without Sky to watch the game.

Only in New Zealand can a Pay TV operator can own a free-to-air channel to screen the same game again & get 2 bites of the cherry. :)

The NRL would do well to demand that Sky delay games by a maximum of 2 or 3 hours on Prime, or sell some free-to-air rights to another broadcaster.

I know it would probably mean less money, but it would add enormously to the profile of the game here if they had the nerve to do it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
If they get $100 mill from NZ that will be an outstanding result considering there is only
Y one NRL team there. Hopefully they'll use some of the increase to further develop the game over there and aim for a nz2 team by the time the next rights are due.

Zigwaa

Bench
That sux, was hoping to get the full day coverage here in Adelaide.

Fox will show the Toyota cup but do they show the NSW Cup GF as well?