What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When a 5 year plan goes right, well nearly.

Jeff Kennett (former Chairman of the Hawks and Premier of Victoria) today apologized to Hawks members for failing to deliver on his 5 year plan.

The plan called "five 2 fifty", called for the Hawks to win 2 premierships and have over 50 thousand members in 5 years time. That period finished on Saturday with only one premiership (2008) win instead of the two, which could have been achieved last weekend if the kicks had gone straight.

http://www.smh.com.au/afl/hawthorn-hawks/kennett-says-sorry-to-hawks-members-20121001-26vjk.html

So nice when a 5 year plan delivers on most of its objectives.

Love to see our club adopt a plan, maybe "Five 2 twenty five?"

Parra

Referee
Pretty straightforward in the NRL.

1. Rort the cap as much as you can.
2. Win some premierships
3. When suspicions arise, blame everyone else. Easiest first line of defence is "tall poppy syndrome" - the calling card of the corrupt
4. When things get official find and name exactly one scapegoat. Best to name an ex-official. Better still, a dead one.
5. Accept the mild slap on the wrist from whoever is in power
6. Continue to win.

phantom eel

First Grade
A plan's no good without some quality people that can achieve it. Things seem to be looking slightly better with Stuart's appointment.

From the state our club has been left in after the past three or so years, I would say a "five (years) 1 (title) 12,500 (members)" plan is probably more deliverable? And that member rate assumes we don't try and move our home ground or anything disruptive within those five years.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Id like us to be a bit more positive and have a five five hundred thousand plan....

strider

Post Whore
i'd like to see a 1 year plan .... "one and whatever-i-don't-care-i-just-want-one-premiership"

oldmancraigy

Coach
A plan's no good without some quality people that can achieve it. Things seem to be looking slightly better with Stuart's appointment.

From the state our club has been left in after the past three or so years, I would say a "five (years) 1 (title) 12,500 (members)" plan is probably more deliverable? And that member rate assumes we don't try and move our home ground or anything disruptive within those five years.

Don't we already have 10k members? I think if we're only aiming to walk to the corner, good chance we'll achieve it, but we might not have stretched ourselves??

I like the 5/2/25 idea. VERY bold to name 2 premierships having just picked up the spoon - but if you aim for nothing, you tend to hit it!

25k members ought to be achievable, and if we happen to lose a few by changing home grounds, it's probably a plus. Out with the small minded, and in with those who want growth!

jono

Juniors
Jeff Kennett was a keynote speaker at a conference I attended just after the 2009 GF and I was lucky enoughto spend some time with him. One of the things we talked about was the 5/2/50 which by that stage was already ahead of schedule on the 50000 members. Love him or hate him politically , Jeff is a guy who delivers and really, only fell short by 2 minutes and 10 points. but the fact that he has felt the need to apologise only shows how driven to the result that he is. And that's what's needed at the Eels. The guy in the NRL who somes closest to JK is Greenberg , and we all can see his greatest coup has been the signing if Dessie. And I've no doubt Des is also working towards a 5/2/50 plan , and is nearly as on track as the Hawks were in 2009

Kennett’s forced retirement speech from the Hawks at the end of last year was outstanding. I do love a good speech and at the end of it, not only did I think Jeff would smash though walls for Hawthorn, I wanted to.

Last edited:

Latest posts