What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Phil Hughes - When do we drop him?

When do we drop Phil Hughes from the test side

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Hughes is 58 N.O at stumps. If the Redbacks win he's a lock for man of the match. 352 runs to win and 2 wickets down. An easy double century will get the job done.

TheParraboy

Staff member
khawaja 20 in his 2nd dig

Ferguson 31no at stumps with Hughes, love for him to make a big ton tommorrow

yappy

Bench
Class is permanent and Hughes has it. Put him in with a bunch of turkeys like SA and it shines through.

No rush to get him back in the Test side though. He needs a big Shield season at least, maybe two. Just to get that muscle memory of big innings in all conditions right. Would love to see him play some ODI's though.

BunniesMan

Immortal
Hughes won't get past 60 now, poor bastard Bunniestard must hate him.
Fail. He made 83.

83 and 90 odd in his first game back in OZ after scoring a lot of runs in England. Redbacks will lose convincingly here but he was head and shoulders above his teammates as their motm in this game.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Fail. He made 83.

83 and 90 odd in his first game back in OZ after scoring a lot of runs in England. Redbacks will lose convincingly here but he was head and shoulders above his teammates as their motm in this game.
wow motm for the rebacks in a game, that's like claiming bowling straighter than Shitchell Johnson is an achievement.

For the record I wasn't bagging Hughes just you you clueless Mong. 30 test centuries :lol:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Class is permanent and Hughes has it. Put him in with a bunch of turkeys like SA and it shines through.

No rush to get him back in the Test side though. He needs a big Shield season at least, maybe two. Just to get that muscle memory of big innings in all conditions right. Would love to see him play some ODI's though.

I tend to agree regarding muscle memory, not so much the conditions but the technique.

When you have technique changes to mature batsmen they tend to revert back to thier old technique when they become fatigued.

The new technique needs to become robotic no it doesn't change at any stage of a long innings. So yeah, he might need another season yet.

aussies1st

Staff member
Fail. He made 83.

He was actually pretty average in England. 611 runs from 18 innings at 36 not screaming pick me.

SA seem to have made him into a Watson aka choking before the 100! Good on him though, he has the temperament to be a long stay at the top level, if his technique will back that up remains to be seen.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Its not like there are any excessively better options. All other options are no different to Hughes, full of promise, wildly inconsistent, not really reliable.

Red Bear

Referee

If he gets picked for Aust this year i'd be pissed off, wont have earnt it. Alot of talent but needs a solid two seasons or so.

He was actually pretty average in England. 611 runs from 18 innings at 36 not screaming pick me.

SA seem to have made him into a Watson aka choking before the 100! Good on him though, he has the temperament to be a long stay at the top level, if his technique will back that up remains to be seen.
He was playing in a woeful side IIRC

Wouldnt mind him coming in at 3/4. f**k our batting stocks look think at present though. Would like to see some big seasons from Khawaja (Whose 80 odd on a tough first day pitch probably the better innings), Burns, Lynn, Smith, Maddinson etc. No one at SA (bar Hughes) or WA (bar their opener) I can see making a big impact in the short term (Mitch Marsh is potential without much substance at this point, Marsh north and Voges is a middle order of first class cricketers at best).

yappy

Bench

Had a slow end to the season that dragged his numbers down in FC, but add in his one day and T20 runs and it was a pretty fair winter.

I think we all agree though that he needs to be left in the Shield for at least a year, maybe two, to confirm that he can deliver as often as a top class bat needs to.

aussies1st

Staff member
That would be the best way to bring him back to the top level. However he might end up in the Test side with Cowan's form.

caylo

Bench
That would be the best way to bring him back to the top level. However he might end up in the Test side with Cowan's form.

I agree, maybe playing one day cricket for 12 months first. Khawaja would be in the same boat but hasn't been as impressive so I would give him more time at state level.

Arthur made mention of seeing him as a first or second drop (or playing him there at least) and I think that would be his best position IMO. I would love to see him at first drop behind Watson and Warner in the shorter forms. At test level I think he may be better as a first drop and someone like Khawaja would better suit partnering Warner at the top of the order.

Timbo

Staff member
He was playing for Worcester, whose decks are almost always raging greentops.

He was the only Worcestershire batsman to average more than 30 (other than Klinger who had a very early stint with them) which says something about how hard going it was there.

Status
Not open for further replies.