What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Eels Centre Of Excellence - Parramatta Jail

Tony Bongo

Bench
Eels poised to do some hard time
Adrian Proszenko*October 07, 2012Digital mischief ... the Parramatta Eels could be headed to jail, so to speak.
Digital mischief ... the Parramatta Eels could be headed to jail, so to speak.*Photo: Sun-Herald Graphics
Ricky Stuart could soon have a unique training base for his Eels … Parramatta jail. As the Eels prepare for a breakout season under their new coach, Sin Bin can reveal the decommissioned correctional facility is firming as their likely destination. ''We're looking at a number of options for a training facility so that we can have our own one-stop shop and one of the options we're currently considering is Parramatta jail,'' Eels chief executive Bob Bentley said. ''We're in discussions with state property people to secure a lease so we can put in a gymnasium, a boxing ring, mats and then run all of our operations out of the area. It's only 500 metres from Parramatta Stadium and it would be an ideal location for us to set up a very high-performance unit, similar to a centre of excellence, where everything is contained in one area.'' Arthur ''Neddy'' Smith, Darcy Dugan and George Freeman are just some of the notorious figures who have called the prison, which was opened way back in 1798,home before its closure last year.
PARRA'S SPONSOR INTRIGUE
Parramatta officials will be shocked to learn that their major sponsor, Pirtek, has been involved in secret talks to back arch rivals Manly. Sin Bin can reveal that Pirtek boss Glenn Duncan was recently involved in discussions to take a stake in the Sea Eagles. Pirtek were one of several parties that flagged their interest in shaking up the ownership model of last year's premiers but ultimately opted not to proceed. It's unlikely Eels powerbrokers would have stood for such a conflict of interest.

http://m.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/eels-poised-to-do-some-hard-time-20121006-2761k.html

Last edited:

Tony Bongo

Bench
Sorry about the heading as I posted this on my phone. Does anyone know how to edit thread titles?
It doesn't sound like our club and the stadium have a healthy working relationship which is a huge cause for concern. I hold grave fears that our clubs spiritual home will be handed over to the Wanderers exclusively and we find ourselves attending open training sessions in a Jail and claiming ANZ as our home along with at least 2 other teams. How did it come to this? :crazy:

How did it come to this. . . . Well there are so many stories.

But yes looking less and less likely that Parramatta Stadium will be our base, and one would think because it is not up to scratch.

Tony Bongo

Bench
How did it come to this. . . . Well there are so many stories.

But yes looking less and less likely that Parramatta Stadium will be our base, and one would think because it is not up to scratch.

I know you have a problem with it Mark but myself and many others don't other than simple things which can be easily rectified like a view of a replay screen and reasonable catering. ANZ sucks!!!

Utey

Coach
I love Parra stadium, but not being held to ransom by the trust can only be a good thing surely.

Tony Bongo

Bench
I love Parra stadium, but not being held to ransom by the trust can only be a good thing surely.
What ransom? Making us pay to honour a contract we had to play Hindy and Burts last game at home.....or something else? I keep hearing how we are supposedly being screwed over by the Stadium but I haven't seen proof of it yet, just digs like this in the media.
The Wanderers don't seem to have any problems and to those saying the Stadium needs us more than we need them - not any more they don't.

Ollie Webb

Juniors
What ransom? Making us pay to honour a contract we had to play Hindy and Burts last game at home.....or something else? I keep hearing how we are supposedly being screwed over by the Stadium but I haven't seen proof of it yet, just digs like this in the media.
The Wanderers don't seem to have any problems and to those saying the Stadium needs us more than we need them - not any more they don't.

Some simple examples are the lack of upgrading in the food and beverage outlets in the last 6-8 years, poor playing surface, lack of access of the NRL team training on the main deck and holding onto the $6m the State Government gave the Stadium Trust in 2006/07 to upgrade the facilities.
This $$ could have been utilised for a decent replay/scoreboard screen!

holding onto the $6m the State Government gave the Stadium Trust in 2006/07 to upgrade the facilities.

so what happened to the 6 mil did the trust spend it elsewhere or just put it in their back pocket?

Tony Bongo

Bench
Some simple examples are the lack of upgrading in the food and beverage outlets in the last 6-8 years, poor playing surface, lack of access of the NRL team training on the main deck and holding onto the $6m the State Government gave the Stadium Trust in 2006/07 to upgrade the facilities.

There is a new screen and the playing surface is usually one of the best in the NRL with the only problem I can recall being due to adverse weather conditions beyond anyone's control. As for crap catering it at least improves the turnover in the Leagues Club. I've always found those running the stadium very helpful and co operative so it surprises me that our club has a problem negotiating with them. My guess is someone tried to play hardball and it has blown up in their face - only a guess of course.

Delboy

First Grade
The problems started when the old Parra Stadium Trust was taken over by the previous Govt, at that time it had money in the bank and apparently had scheduled some upgrades.

I didnt trust the previous govt to run a stall at Parklea mkts, I hazard a guess they are trying to work out some financial issues. I think they put some appratchiocks in charge, not sure that has changed

eel4life

Juniors
just out of interest how much do you all think the eels are paying the trust for each home game? Does anyone know?

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
There is a new screen and the playing surface is usually one of the best in the NRL with the only problem I can recall being due to adverse weather conditions beyond anyone's control. As for crap catering it at least improves the turnover in the Leagues Club. I've always found those running the stadium very helpful and co operative so it surprises me that our club has a problem negotiating with them. My guess is someone tried to play hardball and it has blown up in their face - only a guess of course.

why did it take a football/soccer team to start playing there for them to get their fingers out and put in a better scoreboard? why not do it years ago? (did the wanderers pay for it?)

personally, i don't give a shit about catering - if i don't like the food/queues/prices then i'll eat beforehand and go without for an hour or 2 - no biggy to me

I assume there has been a growing issue over time which probably came to a head with the last game last year - and that the eels are trying to stand firm because they are PO'ed with the growing issues ...... we deserve to get a decent deal from the trust cos we have been the only reliable tenant for christ knows how long ..... the trust shouldn't bend over backwards just to suck up to a new kid on the block (wanderers) and make them happy while being firm with us - if they do they will likely learn that football/soccer is a rollercoaster of support in australia and their new buddy won't be as attractive at some point down the track

strider

Post Whore
it'll be fantastic for closed training sessions eh!

only i'd be a bit worried doing hte tackling drills on the cement quad

Maroubra Eel

Coach
One of my mates was in there. He went around stabbing blokes who needed stabbing. It kept him out of trouble.