What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

World Club Challenge in Melbourne?

Paullyboy

Coach
For what it's worth, It's just making you look like the moron (a strangely angry one at that)

MsStorm

Bench
i think the storm fans would support the concept more than sydney fans. if the dogs won and played against leeds you'd get 5k, i think the storm will at least pull their average. plus it'd be good to see how the poms go in summer

There's already massive support for this game to be held in Melbourne via the social media like FB & Twitter, not only Storm fans but people from interstate, English folk and even some afl supporters are also very keen.

Someone needs to make this happen.

For what it's worth, It's just making you look like the moron (a strangely angry one at that)
Why should I put up with tossers who call my education into question and then write an entire post without using a single capital letter? That's without considering the fact that he whinges that there isn't enough RL news during the off-season when there's no football on - then says that a Test match is second rate and basically dismisses it. You know, an actual game of football. If that doesn't warrant a tirade of abuse then nothing does. But just in case he also puts forward an idea that is already in operation just to prove what a thick twat he is. So who's the moron. I'd be more discerning about who you stick up for unless you want to be lumped in with him.

Canard

Immortal
There's already massive support for this game to be held in Melbourne via the social media like FB & Twitter, not only Storm fans but people from interstate, English folk and even some afl supporters are also very keen.

Someone needs to make this happen.

Be awesome if it was held in Melbourne, but this sort of false hope happens every year, so I think its unlikely.

One group who would be opposed would be the Storm players, Id reckon they would look forward to a trip to the UK and then a short holiday in Europe.

It's at Headingley. Not even a neutral venue like Elland Rd or Huddersfield. And I doubt the Storm players would be too interested at all. It's not a holiday. They fly in for a week and a bit, train, play and fly home. It's not like it's a nice place to go. The best they can hope for is that they fly into London and train there for a few days.

Canard

Immortal
It's at Headingley. Not even a neutral venue like Elland Rd or Huddersfield. And I doubt the Storm players would be too interested at all. It's not a holiday. They fly in for a week and a bit, train, play and fly home. It's not like it's a nice place to go. The best they can hope for is that they fly into London and train there for a few days.

Have you been to Leeds? Its great, especially with 20 or so of your best mates. Its one of my favourite places in England to go out.

But the point is moot anyway, its not going to get changed because some fans have created a Facebook page.

Have you been to Leeds? Its great, especially with 20 or so of your best mates. Its one of my favourite places in England to go out.

But the point is moot anyway, its not going to get changed because some fans have created a Facebook page.
Leeds is a hole. The majority of Storm players would think so too. Many of them would have already been and even if they haven't they're not there to get on the piss. If they were so inclined they could spend some of the cash from one of their contracts and go there in October/November for their end of season holiday.

firechild

First Grade
One group who would be opposed would be the Storm players, Id reckon they would look forward to a trip to the UK and then a short holiday in Europe.

Not likely. The players will be in pre-season, a few weeks out from the start of the season and would be more concerned about trying to go back-to-back. Travelling to the UK is one of the many reasons it is so hard to win consecutive titles these days.

Last edited:
A good way to display to Victorians what international football looks like.

Storm would be mad not to jump on this. As already mentioned, the travel to the UK is a major factor in winning consecutive premierships.

Canard

Immortal
Leeds is a hole. The majority of Storm players would think so too. Many of them would have already been and even if they haven't they're not there to get on the piss. If they were so inclined they could spend some of the cash from one of their contracts and go there in October/November for their end of season holiday.

Each to there own, but personally the stories of Northern England being a hole are outdated and overstated by Aussies. Leeds especially has great night-life.

But its not an issue in this discussion really, I can't see the reasoning of "its suits Melbourne not to travel" being an excuse to not stage the game in the UK when the last 20 or so years (barring Wigan's visit to Brisbane) haven't.

LeedsStorm

Juniors

Unconfirmed. And exactly how is Elland Road a neutral venue for Melbourne Storm? :D

Leeds struggle to get any credit out of this. Last year, they offered to play in Australia, NRL say no - it's worth more in UK. Leeds say ok and then Manly moan like little bitches about the weather (quite normal for that time of year). Leeds win and its a case of "it's just a trial game for us". Had Manly won, it would be "We are simply emphasising our superiority".

So quite frankly. If Australian club's don't care. Leeds will play it anywhere they f*cking want and if there's a peep of complaint from any Aussie - suck it up you moaning set of pricks.

Well, this game has been desigend to give poms an inflated sense of strength since it was reinstated at a time when the national team has had its arse handed to it consistently. Given this motivation it's hardly going to be played anywhere else. And just because English clubs come out and say they are willing to play it in Australia when they know full well the deal has already been done that will ensure it won't be, doesn't mean anyone should assume they are actually keen to play it in Australia. It's easy to pretend you want something safe in the knowledge it won't happen when the decision has already been made.

Springs

First Grade
I'd love to see it in Australia, but I don't know if I could put up with Gus relentlessly bagging English RL for two hours.

Though, if Leeds won it might be just like when GB won in 06 in Sydney.

The last test in Melbourne attracted 18,000. You would think the Storm could get that many.

LeedsStorm

Juniors
Well, this game has been desigend to give poms an inflated sense of strength since it was reinstated at a time when the national team has had its arse handed to it consistently. Given this motivation it's hardly going to be played anywhere else. And just because English clubs come out and say they are willing to play it in Australia when they know full well the deal has already been done that will ensure it won't be, doesn't mean anyone should assume they are actually keen to play it in Australia. It's easy to pretend you want something safe in the knowledge it won't happen when the decision has already been made.

:lol: That's gold. Is that the same way the RFL 'design' to play 10-15 more games and have a 4-6 week shorter off season? To give Australia an advantage? Unfair playing field in internationals, unfair playing field in WCC, with different outcomes, except the second one is because Australia aren't trying?

Sorry mate. But I'm not the first in this thread to suggest you are talking sh*t ;-)

10-15 more games? Now who's talking shit. It must be really hard for poms playing 27 weeks of SL against sides like London, Widnes and Salford. NRL clubs would need to play against their under 20s to get that kind of challenge. And of course the only reason the SL clubs play that many games is because they can't afford not to - and half the clubs are still going broke.

And as I said, it's easy for f**kwits like Hetherington to come out and say they want to play it here when they know full well the decision has already been made and they won't have to back up their talk. Notice how the RFL never even hints at playing the game in Australia. They know the score.

And as for advantages at international level, since the end of the SL war Great Britain/England has played end of season internationals/series at home 10 years out of 14. And they're at gome again this year, and where is the WC next year? You guessed it. So out of 16 years they will have played at home 12 times. And how many times have they won any of the previous 14 series? Just once. No wonder the ROFL ensures they get the home advantage. Imagine how bad they'd be if they had to play away more often.

roughyedspud

Coach
aaww bless.....look at ECT derailing yet another thread....what a muppet

3748970875_81e69c20d7.jpg