What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haddin or Wade for 1st South African test?

Haddin or Wade

• Total voters

TheParraboy

Staff member
Who will it be for the 1s test Nov 9th?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/586699.html

Australia's captain and selector Michael Clarke has flatly denied reports that Brad Haddin's Test career has been terminated, opening the way for his younger rival Matthew Wade to take the gloves for the first Test of the summer against South Africa in Brisbane.

Clarke and the rest of the selection panel, comprising the national selector John Inverarity, the coach Mickey Arthur, Rod Marsh and Andy Bichel, met in Sydney on Monday afternoon following Cricket Australia's season launch for a planning meeting. However Clarke was adamant that no decision had been made on whether Haddin would reclaim the Test place he gave up for personal reasons in the West Indies earlier this year.

"I'm one of five selectors and if you're asking me as a selector that's completely false, it hasn't been discussed," Clarke said. "It obviously is a topic for discussion and will be spoken about over the next couple of weeks that's for sure. It's probably one of the most important decisions that needs to be made leading up to the first Test match, and whoever gets left out it is going to be tough on them.

"Not only have they both performed at the highest level, Hadds has a lot of experience and has been successful over a long period of time, Wadey's done every single thing in his power to make the most of his opportunity - he got a hundred in his last Test match. So it's going to be a tough decision. I know the selectors and I will be discussing that over the next couple of weeks.

"We need to talk about it, the selection panel need to talk about it. We need to see both sides, and we'll pick the best XI for that game, that opposition, those conditions. That's the only way you can do it. It's not personal, it's about what we think is the best team for that first Test.

"It has been a tough time for Hadds - any single one of us would've made the exact same decision that Brad did in regards to going home and making sure he was there to support his family. He certainly knows how I feel about that and I have openly supported him on that.

"The other side is Matthew Wade cannot do anything more to be selected for that first Test. He has performed as well as any player, he has made the most of his opportunities, he's an amazing talent, and he's going to be a big player for Australian cricket over a long period of time."

Since his early exit from the Caribbean, Haddin has undergone a full pre-season with New South Wales and made a century for the Blues in their Sheffield Shield match against Tasmania at Bankstown Oval before flying to South Africa to lead the Sydney Sixers in the Twenty20 Champions League. Wade, meanwhile, had his struggles on the ODI tour of England and had limited batting opportunities in the UAE and Sri Lanka, though he kept soundly throughout.

However a match-turning innings of 89 for Victoria against Queensland on a lively Gabba pitch last week may prove pivotal in the duel for the keeping spot, as Wade demonstrated his capacity for making runs in the sort of pace-friendly environment likely to be relished by South Africa's vaunted trio of Dale Steyn, Morne Morkel and Vernon Philander next month.

Ricky Ponting, having watched Haddin's entire Test career from up close, said the 35-year-old still had plenty to offer, but acknowledged the difficulty of the decision. "There are arguments for both at the moment, Hadds is a great mate of mine and we've got lots of off-field memories," Ponting said. "I saw him up close and personal a couple of weeks ago in the Shield game in Bankstown and he played beautifully, hit the ball really well and kept very, very well.

"So I know his game's in really good shape. Then you look at Matty Wade, he has really grabbed his opportunity, made a brilliant hundred in the Caribbean, he has had a great game up in Brisbane last week, so there are two great arguments to be put there as far as selection is concerned. Every Australian side that's picked, there are always a few guys who think they're unlucky or hard done by, and one of those two guys is going to miss selection for Brisbane.

"I've got no doubt in my mind that Hadds has a lot to offer, and I saw it up close in that Shield game. I don't think anyone will be writing Brad off, he's a great character to have around the team, and he's an unbelievable talent with bat and gloves."

The most influential voice at the selection table may well be that of Marsh, the former gloveman who has worked extensively with Haddin in the past. More recently Marsh was a tour mentor for Wade, spending plenty of time with the younger man on the West Indies tour as he fought an ultimately successful battle to adapt to extremely unfamiliar and challenging conditions for both wicketkeeping and batting.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
They have to bite the bullet and go for Wade, no point keeping Haddin on and see if hecan recapture some form when we have 10 test's against the Poms coming up. We need to get Wade in now.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Haddin just made a ton in shield cricket and his form is pretty good atm. I would stick with him on current form.

Wade has huge technique problems for mine and I dont see him lasting in test cricket. I reckon he will struggle on 250 run pitches and in the sub continent as his defensive technique is pretty poor, much like Cam White. He goes OK hitting through the line of the ball in the shorter versions and on a batting road but I just dont see him being the real deal in test cricket. He has a gap you could drive a bus through.

Red Bear

Referee
Haddin is basically done, he was awful from the world cup until when he left the Windies tour (in terrible circumstances mind you).

Just awful, and he's just about 35 and not going to suddenlly show improvement.

Im not convinced Wade is the long term option but I think he's earnt a decent run. Would prefer Nevill though

beads6

First Grade
Haddin at 35 is finished. His last handful of tests were very poor. I just don't see the point of giving him another go.

Rosetta

Juniors
Haddin wasn't dropped on merit so he deserves to be given this Test series, he's looked pretty good for NSW and The Sixers since returning.

The Eagle

Juniors
Not even thread worthy

Haddin is a greedy Gilly wannabe without any real talent

Wade is a kick ass keeper with an excellent batting temperament

Wade
Paine

Haddin

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
It should be Wade, not that he is any fantastic but he is the incumbent and picking Brad Scissorhands would be a step backwards.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Haddin is the incumbent. Wade only played because Haddin got sent home.

simmo1

First Grade
Haddin just made a ton in shield cricket and his form is pretty good atm. I would stick with him on current form.

Wade has huge technique problems for mine and I dont see him lasting in test cricket. I reckon he will struggle on 250 run pitches and in the sub continent as his defensive technique is pretty poor, much like Cam White. He goes OK hitting through the line of the ball in the shorter versions and on a batting road but I just dont see him being the real deal in test cricket. He has a gap you could drive a bus through.

Doesn't mean shit when you consider Haddin is only about a 50/50 shot of actually catching an edge.

They're keepers first, batsmen second.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
f**k Haddin. No maturity or fortitude to bat responsibly in the mid-lower order.

Wade for me.

simmo1

First Grade
Not any more they're not. Ian Healy was the last genuine keeper we had.

Still a minimum standard they must keep too, and Haddin has fallen well short for a while now.

If the keeping didn't matter you'd put Hussey as keeper and pick a young batsman such as Khawaja.

TheParraboy

Staff member
I think they will pick Wade, but id go for Haddin. He knows he has to perform, others bye bye career. See how he goes vs the SA speedsters. Wade will again get his chance soon enough