What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

great players of the last 10 years

Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Steve Menzies, Nathan Hindmarsh, Jamie Lyon, Benji Marshall, Danny Buderus, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Sonny Bill Williams. Just to name a few :)

hunters

Juniors
All of the greats of the last 10 years besides Johns, Lockyer and maybe Fittler will be forgotten because we don't have a hall of fame. We need to bring one in to honour the greats and not just the elite of the elite.
Yeah and no one remembers Sterling, Kenny, Meninga, Langer, Lamb, Miles.........:sarcasm:

isaiah

Bench
Andrew Johns, Darren Lockyer, Steve Menzies, Nathan Hindmarsh, Jamie Lyon, Benji Marshall, Danny Buderus, Cameron Smith, Billy Slater, Sonny Bill Williams. Just to name a few :)

sorry, too many from nsw, a state that hasn't won an origin series for 8 years [thats 80% of 10 years]

firechild

First Grade
sorry, too many from nsw, a state that hasn't won an origin series for 8 years [thats 80% of 10 years]

Menzies hasn't been in the country for the last 4 (last played for NSW in '06). Hindmarsh should have retired about 4 years ago, Lyon made himself unavailable for origin (or was not selected due to the fact he voiced his feelings when he was eligable) for most of the time and Buderus played in the UK for a few years. None of those 4 played a significant role in NSW losing those series. Doesn't change the fact all 4 were great players in that 10 year period.

NAS

Juniors
It's only the last 10 years, so that's 2002.

1) Andrew Johns- changed the way the game was played. Deserves immortal status.
2) Darren Lockyer- whilst not as good as Johns, was an exceptional player over a number of years.
3) Cameron Smith- Will be an immortal. Best dummy half the game has seen.
4) Billy Slater- best fullback since Churchill. Maybe the best ever.
5) Brad Fittler- the stats don't lie. freddy was the prince of league.
6) Petero Civonoceva- the dominant prop of the decade.
7) Greg Inglis- More tries than anyone in origin. Could he be the greatest ever individual athlete the game has seen by the time he retires?
8) Stephen Menzies- The beaver was the complete 2nd rower in my view.
9) Benji Marshall- 2012 was poor for him, but before that, sides benji was in, are usually successful.
10) Sonny Bill Williams- forget walking out on the game, and judge the man by what he did on the field. he was unstoppable. I've never seen a more dominant player than Sonny Bill when he was at his peak......the fact that he was not around for very long is the only reason he's not higher on this list.

Leaguelegend20

Juniors
Just a couple; Stacey Jones, Benji Marshall, Darren Lockyer, Andrew Johns, Jonathan Thurston, Brad Fittler, Gordon Tallis, Craig Gower, Cameron Smith, Danny Buderus, Robbie Farah, Luke Lewis, Paul Gallen, Greg Inglis, Israel Folau, Shane Webcke, Petero Civonoceva, Taniela Tuiaki, Brent Tate, Shaun Berrigan, Scott Prince

Mr Saab

Referee
Which isn't easy to manufacture when you've only played 3 games together at that level. ;-)

From a win, loss & a draw (which was virtually a loss but shhh).

But what a combo they were....up there with Langer/Lewis, Thurston/Lockyer, Stuart/Daley

Fire

First Grade
It's only the last 10 years, so that's 2002.

1) Andrew Johns- changed the way the game was played. Deserves immortal status.
2) Darren Lockyer- whilst not as good as Johns, was an exceptional player over a number of years.
3) Cameron Smith- Will be an immortal. Best dummy half the game has seen.
4) Billy Slater- best fullback since Churchill. Maybe the best ever.
5) Brad Fittler- the stats don't lie. freddy was the prince of league.
6) Petero Civonoceva- the dominant prop of the decade.
7) Greg Inglis- More tries than anyone in origin. Could he be the greatest ever individual athlete the game has seen by the time he retires?
8) Stephen Menzies- The beaver was the complete 2nd rower in my view.
9) Benji Marshall- 2012 was poor for him, but before that, sides benji was in, are usually successful.
10) Sonny Bill Williams- forget walking out on the game, and judge the man by what he did on the field. he was unstoppable. I've never seen a more dominant player than Sonny Bill when he was at his peak......the fact that he was not around for very long is the only reason he's not higher on this list.

Great list.

I'd only swap SBW for Thurston. The reason being JT played every game (or nearly every game?) of Queensland's seven straight Origin Series wins. Plus he can single-handedly win Club games too.

Someone

Bench
Im gonna restrict it abit more and just say the last decade meaning - (2000-2009)

The most influentially great player for me would have to be Lockyer, who won two comps during that period, one at fullback and one at five-eighth. He was also there to help, maybe even steer the turnaround for QLD in origin. Brillant at international level aswell.

Lockyer4President!

First Grade
Im gonna restrict it abit more and just say the last decade meaning - (2000-2009)

The most influentially great player for me would have to be Lockyer, who won two comps during that period, one at fullback and one at five-eighth. He was also there to help, maybe even steer the turnaround for QLD in origin. Brillant at international level aswell.

I'm going to be that guy and say it: don't you mean 2001 -2010?

Someone

Bench
I guess my angle was the noughties, tens, twentys etc. going through the decades the same way you would with the 70s, 80s, 90s etc.

RABK

Referee
Of the last 10 years? So 2003-2012...

Johns played in this time but didn't achieve the bulk of his accolades during it. So yes whilst he obviously is the greatest player to have played within the last 10 years i am going to base my list on overall influence and achievement over the last 10 years. Similar SBW is easily the most brilliantly talented forward the game has ever seen his overall influence over the last 10 years his minimal given the short length of his career.

1. Cameron Smith
2. Billy Slater
3. Darren Lockyer
4. Anthony Minichiello
5. Johnathan Thurston
6. Greg Inglis
7. Petero Civoneceva
8. Steve Price
9. Benji Marshall
10. Paul Gallen
11. Brett Stewart
12. Cooper Cronk
13. Danny Buderus
14. Robbie Farah
15. Jarryd Hayne
16. Justin Hodges
17. Sam Thaiday
18. Nathan Hindmarsh
19. Jamie Lyon
20. Anthony Watmough

I might have missed an obvious one or two but off the top of my head they are players i can recall having large influence for large parts of the last 10 years through consistent quality. It hurt as a new south welshman.

mongoose

Coach
Of the last 10 years? So 2003-2012...

Johns played in this time but didn't achieve the bulk of his accolades during it. So yes whilst he obviously is the greatest player to have played within the last 10 years i am going to base my list on overall influence and achievement over the last 10 years. Similar SBW is easily the most brilliantly talented forward the game has ever seen his overall influence over the last 10 years his minimal given the short length of his career.

1. Cameron Smith
2. Billy Slater
3. Darren Lockyer
4. Anthony Minichiello
5. Johnathan Thurston
6. Greg Inglis
7. Petero Civoneceva
8. Steve Price
9. Benji Marshall
10. Paul Gallen
11. Brett Stewart
12. Cooper Cronk
13. Danny Buderus
14. Robbie Farah
15. Jarryd Hayne
16. Justin Hodges
17. Sam Thaiday
18. Nathan Hindmarsh
19. Jamie Lyon
20. Anthony Watmough

I might have missed an obvious one or two but off the top of my head they are players i can recall having large influence for large parts of the last 10 years through consistent quality. It hurt as a new south welshman.

wow, Mini is way too high. Was great 03 - 05, really dropped off after that.