What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

T20 Champions League Draw

Johnson will be in the team for another 2-4 years IMO. For some reason he is rated by those with the say. Plus we're playing South Africa so he's due a bullshit spell with the ball

Patorick

Staff member
Call me crazy, but I reckon Johnson's best chance of getting back in the one-day team is as a bowling all-rounder, batting at 6 or 7. Kind of like what they did with Brendan Julian in 1999.

yappy

Bench
One dayers are a different kettle of fish. He'll still get a game in the ODI's but really apart from the World Cup who gives a shit about ODI's any more? Just keep him the f**k away from the test side.

Red Bear

Referee
I heard on Fox this morning that they will be up against Sidds, Hilfy and Notch for the test spots and I thought wtf ?

why take 3 steps backwards ?

Notch is not even in the picture and as far as the other 2, there maybe some opportunity for rotation but these kids are the future and imo they are better bowlers than Sids and Hilfy
The kids really dont deserve it just yet. Havent got the bowling behind them to survive long spells, havent got the wickets on the board to justify selection.

Siddle, Hilf (if he bowls as he did last summer) and Pattinson are comfortably our best three at present IMO. Cummins, Starc, Haze, NCN, Macdermott will come in in due time through weight of numbers if they are indeed good enough.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
The kids really dont deserve it just yet. Havent got the bowling behind them to survive long spells, havent got the wickets on the board to justify selection.

Siddle, Hilf (if he bowls as he did last summer) and Pattinson are comfortably our best three at present IMO. Cummins, Starc, Haze, NCN, Macdermott will come in in due time through weight of numbers if they are indeed good enough.

you make a point, however Cummins had no track record and look what he did

sometimes you just gotta make a judgement call as a selector and that's what I'd do here as the call to give Cummins a go really paid off, although he was aided by injuries to frontline bowlers

Siddle had a good season with Billy telling him to pitch the ball up, now Billy has gone so I can see Sids going back to the scrap heap. Hilfy had one good season then went to the scrap heap and got dropped. They are hardly locks in for mine but probably will be for the selectors.

Pattinson is a no brainer and watching Starc and Cummins in the limited over games they show they can penetrate which is what you want in test cricket, not just some one who can tie a batsmen up in ODIs.

From what I've seen those younguns are our best options for now and the future in test cricket.

Patorick

Staff member
Comparing the Hilditch selectors with the Inverarity selectors isn't really very fair.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
not sure about that

I've heard Inverarity talk and I gotta say I'm not impressed.

When questioned on why Bailey was our T/20 captain he said "well he's just one of the boys and he gets on with everyone"

What a f**king pathetic reason to pick a bloke as a skipper, nothing to do with his ability. Fancy giving away captains caps for that reason, makes a mockery out of selection.

He makes Hilditch sound like a mental giant.

Red Bear

Referee
2/18 off four for haze, 3/19 for Starc

The only thing against Hazlewood is he's never taken a bag of wickets. I remember a one dayer against vics he bowled ridiculously well for only two wickets whilst Pattinson also bowled well, not as well as haze, but managed to take 6.

I think with the way he bowls the rewards will come, keeps pressure on better than any of the other youngsters and has years ahead of him. Gotta take the wickets though.

Red Bear

Referee
you make a point, however Cummins had no track record and look what he did

sometimes you just gotta make a judgement call as a selector and that's what I'd do here as the call to give Cummins a go really paid off, although he was aided by injuries to frontline bowlers

Siddle had a good season with Billy telling him to pitch the ball up, now Billy has gone so I can see Sids going back to the scrap heap. Hilfy had one good season then went to the scrap heap and got dropped. They are hardly locks in for mine but probably will be for the selectors.

Pattinson is a no brainer and watching Starc and Cummins in the limited over games they show they can penetrate which is what you want in test cricket, not just some one who can tie a batsmen up in ODIs.

From what I've seen those younguns are our best options for now and the future in test cricket.
Cummins played a shield final and pulled up with a bad back. Played a test match and broke down, didnt bowl again that summer.

He has limitless potential, why rush him when he is not yet properly conditioned to the rigours of test cricket.

Not that T20 helps them. Between short spells that require warm up cool down warm up cool down cycle and haveing to alter their action constantly (largely in crease position) I suspect it contributes to breaking down.

With a good action alot of bowling (combined with core work and cardio work) is going to produce fit fast bowlers.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
2/18 off four for haze, 3/19 for Starc

The only thing against Hazlewood is he's never taken a bag of wickets. I remember a one dayer against vics he bowled ridiculously well for only two wickets whilst Pattinson also bowled well, not as well as haze, but managed to take 6.

I think with the way he bowls the rewards will come, keeps pressure on better than any of the other youngsters and has years ahead of him. Gotta take the wickets though.

I agree on Hazlewood. He looks the goods but just doesn't have the wickets that the other 3 younguns have.

I've no doubt he will get there if he can stay injury free.

Patorick

Staff member
151057.jpg

Latest posts