What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ken Edwards new CEO

mrt_spec

Juniors
Two things I like about this appointment.

* We got a professional not a politician or an ex-football player
* It wasn't leaked before it happened

Ollie Webb

Juniors
The Board should be congratulated and proud of this appointment, Edwards will bring all the professionalism, commercial acumen and nous required for the role of CEO.

God help Parramatta Stadium in negotiations and he is no mug that will roll over to appease them because it has been our home ground for over 25 years.

There will be many exciting innovations to the Football Club and now we only need to bolster the playing squad over the next few years.

Excellent appointment and congratulations to the PNRL/Leagues Club Board!!

PS. Anyone notice less leaks since the appointment of Stuart??

forward pass

Coach
I posted this in November 2011 in http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=394359&page=5 -

I am hearing no. My information is that the CEO of another "sports related organisation" is in line for the job.(hint - based not too far from Parra!).;-)

No. Instead of thinking outside the square - think sports venues !!!;-)

I was told that the club was interested in a particular person but I have no idea how far it has progressed.

All I am saying is the club have been after Ken Edwards for quite some time. I was given the tip 12 months ago the job was his - so my guess is the Stuart appointment sealed it.

Great appointment by the way.

Last edited:

eels81236

Bench

whall15

Coach
Well about time! This is a long overdue appointment but at least Ken Edwards has the experience and reputation that a club like ours deserves. I am happy to see that he is keen to increase our membership numbers and I hope that he places a high priority on our fans to achieve this. Does anyone have any idea of how successful he was on this front with the Knights and Jets?

He was very successful with this with both clubs although the backing of Tinkler mean't that prices were cut I think pretty dramatically.

TheRam

Coach
Well I will reserve my judgement on this one, but it has the potential to go either way. He certainly knows how to put the fear of God into people.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...a-man-of-mystery/story-e6frfgbo-1226285546337

Then there was the shock departure of "hired gun" Ken Edwards last week, which raised more than a few eyebrows.
Edwards had been employed by Tinkler to deliver him the Knights and A-League club the Newcastle Jets.With that achieved, the former boss of ANZ Stadium had became a bolshy figure in Club Land.
During last year's dispute between the 16 clubs and the NRL partnership over extra funding, he had carried up the ball like a hardened front-rower.
According to chairmen and chief executives from other clubs, he had been deadly serious about snubbing the a new independent commission and forming a breakaway league - something Edwards has denied on the public record before.
Some chairmen firmly believe he was acting under instruction from Tinkler, but The Daily Telegraph has been told this isn't so. In fact, it was one of the chief reasons why Edwards was pushed out the door. What is certain is that he had a poisonous relationship with Palmer, whom he hadn't spoken to for months.
(Calls to Edwards yesterday went unanswered, although someone called "Ken Edwards" curiously started following this journalist on Twitter shortly after they were made).

84 Baby

Referee
the fact that parramatta were able to prise him away from the tinkler empire, does this mean that all is not going well in newcastle ?
Don't know about Newcastle itself but my mail is HSG has been treading water for a long time, and the rumours about Tinky boy are even more unsettling for those working for him

Suitman

Post Whore
Does anyone have any idea of how successful he was on this front with the Knights and Jets?

Don't know about the Knights, but at the Jets he has been hugely successful in increasing memberships. They are second only to the Melbourne Victory.
Victory have over 17000, the Jets are over 11000. As a comparison, Sydney FC have about 7000.

Suity

Jodeci

Bench
Well about time! This is a long overdue appointment but at least Ken Edwards has the experience and reputation that a club like ours deserves. I am happy to see that he is keen to increase our membership numbers and I hope that he places a high priority on our fans to achieve this. Does anyone have any idea of how successful he was on this front with the Knights and Jets?
My only concern is his former position as CEO of Stadiums Australia. I hope this in no way is any indication that we can look forward to moving more home games to ANZ in the future. Parramatta Stadium has already lost enough as it is and if anything I would like to see a movement towards returning more games to Parramatta Stadium and co operation with the Wanderers to press for further improvements - Something Edwards could be good at considering his involvement with the A League and the Jets.

Tony

If we are not making money at Parra Stadium due to reasons such as Security fees, venue hire, catering, lack of corporate hospitality, funding from the stadium, poor dressing room facilitles, not enough car parking, ticket prices, etc, then we cant justify to stay where we dont make money.

I can tell you straight from the top, the club doesn't want to move away from the Stadium cause it will effect the Leagues Club and the BGA Shop so you need to get that info right. Remebering the Leagues Club Board run the 1st Grade so in order for the Club to sustain, it would be in their best interest to keep everything at Parra.

The Leagues Club needs to Footy club to play at Parra cause for those 10 weeks of the year when we are at home, the Leagues Club is generally making some kind of money.

The 5 year agreement is up at Parra and hopefully Mr Edwards will strike a deal to remain us at Parra after the 2013 season

eel01s

Bench
Good signing IMO.

Gibbsy on 2UE mentioned that Parra were the big movers for next year. He said that with Stuart and now Edwards, they will be going all out to sign big names for 2014 (Tamou was mentioned), and that whatever happens in 2013 "will be a bonus".

Delboy

First Grade
I'm suss of any appointment this board makes. Their track record is dismal.

Good grief ME. this is the person who oversaw Todd Greenburg, and yet you find a reason to be pessimistic.

If you do turn up at a game to cheer on the Eels , you would no doubt have your hand over your mouth so you could tell someone it wasnt really you cheering them on. FMD :crazy:

Gronk

Staff member
Sounds good. Must be concerning for Hunter fans that he's leaving the Tinkler group at a time that there is a (alleged) cash crisis for the said coal dude.

We've been spending some big cash on coaching staff and now office signings. Hope we can afford it. Are the pokies doing good ATM ?

Tony Bongo

Bench
He was very successful with this with both clubs although the backing of Tinkler mean't that prices were cut I think pretty dramatically.

Thanks for that. I'm really interested in finding out the actual figures, price differences and what their membership packages included.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Sounds good. Must be concerning for Hunter fans that he's leaving the Tinkler group at a time that there is a (alleged) cash crisis for the said coal dude.

We've been spending some big cash on coaching staff and now office signings. Hope we can afford it. Are the pokies doing good ATM ?

he left Hunter in February

Sphagnum

Coach

Probably not if you're playing them. The more 'multi-cultural' Parra becomes, the healthier the pokie revenue will be.

Latest posts