What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AFL players in League

footy_fumbler

Juniors
Yes sure looks like he is a closet @FL fan too me aswell, the NRLL fans in here spend more time talking about the @FL than their precious NRLL
:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:

Hanscholo

Bench
Chris Yarran is the only player I have seen that would be a decent fit for the NRL. Really solid defender, very fast, great footwork.

Munro_Mick

Juniors
I used to look at Jarryd Hayne and Ben Cousins and thought that they almost ran identically.

It'd be silly to suggest that either couldn't at the time have transitioned into the other code - - how successfully is another issue as decision making under pressure and fatigue is a far far greater x-factor than simply learning the mechanics of skills and adapting the body (bulking up or improving endurance running).

Izzie Folau presently is a good example of somewhat having most the tools theoretically but not knowing where and when to run - - Mike Pyke has taken about 4 years to get that pretty well under control.

For AFL players that would step straight in -
Scott Thompson (Crows mid) - - would step straight into the vacated boots of D.Lockyer.
J.Brown, T.Hawkins (although might be more a RU type!!),
North's Jack Ziebell would just love a game which allows shoulder charges and jumping into people!!

but, this is where you need to work out what sort of team you're stepping them into.

After all, the GF this year showed the classic comparison of the nuggety (fat and slow) Bulldogs outfit against the more athletic looking and ball playing Storm. Most of the Storm players looked far, far more like AFL athletes than they did like Bulldogs style RL players.

That I reckon is the key. I remember seeing Stephen Kearney playing in the early days of Storm and he really did not look like a RL player.

Inglis vs Franklin has always been an interesting comparison. Similar size and type, and Inglis carries about 10 kg etc - - but, that wouldn't be an issue for Franklin to put on even over a single summer.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
no one would step into Lockyer's boots, just cant be done

the skills they develop as a kid and growing up make up the instincts they show as a mature aged player

I made the transition at age 25 and it took years just to get a second grade game in AFL but I suited the game being so lean and tall but the skills/instinct took a while to change

I am by no means an athlete in their category but for me to play bush footy took a few years and I speak from experience

then I woke up to myself and got out of Victoria, too f**king cold for me

I used to look at Jarryd Hayne and Ben Cousins and thought that they almost ran identically.

It'd be silly to suggest that either couldn't at the time have transitioned into the other code - - how successfully is another issue as decision making under pressure and fatigue is a far far greater x-factor than simply learning the mechanics of skills and adapting the body (bulking up or improving endurance running).

Izzie Folau presently is a good example of somewhat having most the tools theoretically but not knowing where and when to run - - Mike Pyke has taken about 4 years to get that pretty well under control.

For AFL players that would step straight in -
Scott Thompson (Crows mid) - - would step straight into the vacated boots of D.Lockyer.
J.Brown, T.Hawkins (although might be more a RU type!!),
North's Jack Ziebell would just love a game which allows shoulder charges and jumping into people!!

but, this is where you need to work out what sort of team you're stepping them into.

After all, the GF this year showed the classic comparison of the nuggety (fat and slow) Bulldogs outfit against the more athletic looking and ball playing Storm. Most of the Storm players looked far, far more like AFL athletes than they did like Bulldogs style RL players.

That I reckon is the key. I remember seeing Stephen Kearney playing in the early days of Storm and he really did not look like a RL player.

Inglis vs Franklin has always been an interesting comparison. Similar size and type, and Inglis carries about 10 kg etc - - but, that wouldn't be an issue for Franklin to put on even over a single summer.
That is the exact reason why AFL fans get laughed at ,called delusional ,& basically dont seem to live in reality..

Munro_Mick

Juniors
That is the exact reason why AFL fans get laughed at ,called delusional ,& basically dont seem to live in reality..

re Scott Thompson

(and check out his physique),

He is the perfect 'extractor' and 'distributor'. Plays the role to a tee.

Not the Scott Thompson defender at North Melb (although he's enough of a head case that he'd probably thrive in RL).

Certainly as per Twizzle - who knows how long or if the nuances of the game/timing/positioning would be absorbed by Thompson - - however, I dare you to have a look (granted Thompson's a couple of inches taller).

Now - - you can be just totally dismissive or you can enter into discussion.

This is where boofheads get laughed at.

btw - to Twizzle - one thing around 'instinct' is that there are those for whom sport in general or sports in particular just seem to come naturally. They make really bad coaches - and don't always know all the rules - but, they often possess that which is most difficult to teach.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I found it easy enough to kick and mark but reading the play and getting possessions took a while

Munro_Mick

Juniors
Just casually fill the boots of one of RL's greats :lol: Gotta love the delusion.

and somehow typically a single phrase is focussed on at the expense of the general discussion.

btw - AFL types might suggest D.Lockyer was only any good because of his mispent childhood playing Aust Footy.......a bit like old Dally Messenger only got so good after playing Aust Footy in Sth Melb for a year or two before heading back 'home'.

one could.......if one were.

well - half seriously though - it's seemingly acknowledged in AFL circles that guys playing basketball as an 'allied' sport growing up - is far more beneficial for example than playing cricket - for them to be good AFL players.
Certain positions in RL demand greater 360 awareness - and a 5/8th is perhaps one such role.

The Great Dane

First Grade
and somehow typically a single phrase is focussed on at the expense of the general discussion.

btw - AFL types might suggest D.Lockyer was only any good because of his mispent childhood playing Aust Footy.......a bit like old Dally Messenger only got so good after playing Aust Footy in Sth Melb for a year or two before heading back 'home'.

one could.......if one were.

well - half seriously though - it's seemingly acknowledged in AFL circles that guys playing basketball as an 'allied' sport growing up - is far more beneficial for example than playing cricket - for them to be good AFL players.
Certain positions in RL demand greater 360 awareness - and a 5/8th is perhaps one such role.

You mean like most in RL circles acknowledged that playing RU is beneficial to a RL players development at an early age. Of coarse playing AFL at an early age is good for a RL players development (and vice versa) because it teaches them skills that they may not learn in traditional RL training that may or may not come in handy, just like playing soccer, basketball or any other sport on this planet would be good for there development (yes even chess). Saying that it takes more awareness to play AFL then it does to play RL is a joke, my experiences watching/playing AFL do not display that (and there have been many), its like watching a under sixes soccer game, a flock of men chasing a rolling ball around an oval and occasionally seeing the ball come flying out of the flock when one of them takes a big kick. AFL does not take much awareness at all you only have to be aware of the ball.

Last edited:

Munro_Mick

Juniors
You mean like most in RL circles acknowledged that playing RU is beneficial to a RL players development at an early age. Of coarse playing AFL at an early age is good for a RL players development (and vice versa) because it teaches them skills that they may not learn in traditional RL training that may or may not come in handy, just like playing soccer, basketball or any other sport on this planet would be good for there development (yes even chess). Saying that it takes more awareness to play AFL then it does to play RL is a joke, my experiences watching/playing AFL do not display that (and there have been many), its like watching a under sixes soccer game, a flock of men chasing a rolling ball around an oval and occasionally seeing the ball come flying out of the flock when one of them takes a big kick. AFL does not take much awareness at all you only have to be aware of the ball.

Alas - to the uninitiated - it might seem to lack structure,

however, and especially when played at a decent standard - there is very much structure to it and a mindless flock it can not be.

All field sport has a common factor or two. Time and space. The ability of top players to 'create space' (for themselves) and thus appear to have more time than others.

The also-rans who make up the numbers generally don't have it. Those who do - I reckon would pretty well excel at whatever they did. I guess the question is how much is trained and how much is inate.

I might suggest that a game of Aust Footy delivers MORE instances that require more 360 degree awareness than a game of RL in particular. And the reality here is that RU,RL and Soccer are all off-side opposing lines field games. Aust Footy, Gaelic, and basketball (okay, on a court and not a field) have no off-side. [and I'm not saying off-side is bad or good - I'd prefer to celebrate that we have a variety of sports]. So, I reckon making the statement I just made is hardly rocket surgery (deliberate mixing of metaphors here as a clumsy attempt at humour).

Munro_Mick

Juniors
Matthew 'spider' Burton had the physical attributes to successfully make the switch.

tee hee - I know that's a joke - - crikey, he looked so ungainly and how he didn't snap in two I'll never know - - but, I saw him a couple of times take a bounce, sell the dummy, and roost a goal on the run......how does a guy like that do that????

The old adage has it's inverse - - built like Tarzan, plays like Jane. In this case, built like a really tall skinny Jane, and now and then produced a Tarzan moment.......well.....!!

The Great Dane

First Grade
Alas - to the uninitiated - it might seem to lack structure,

however, and especially when played at a decent standard - there is very much structure to it and a mindless flock it can not be.

All field sport has a common factor or two. Time and space. The ability of top players to 'create space' (for themselves) and thus appear to have more time than others.

The also-rans who make up the numbers generally don't have it. Those who do - I reckon would pretty well excel at whatever they did. I guess the question is how much is trained and how much is inate.

I might suggest that a game of Aust Footy delivers MORE instances that require more 360 degree awareness than a game of RL in particular. And the reality here is that RU,RL and Soccer are all off-side opposing lines field games. Aust Footy, Gaelic, and basketball (okay, on a court and not a field) have no off-side. [and I'm not saying off-side is bad or good - I'd prefer to celebrate that we have a variety of sports]. So, I reckon making the statement I just made is hardly rocket surgery (deliberate mixing of metaphors here as a clumsy attempt at humour).

I am not uninitiated and do like and watch AFL (even though I do not follow a specific team, I would if there was truly one in Canberra), you must admit that there are only two things you have to be aware of in AFL and they are the ball and the goalposts. In RL you have to be aware of every movement on the field from were the ball and posts are respective to you to were the ref is.

The truth is (in my opinion) AFL could be a much better game with a thew small changes such as allowing true tackling not the sort of weak fingers (fingers/fairy tackling is when you tackle a person with your arms reached out and don't use your shoulder, its very hard to tackle this way) tackling they do now (I understand that there is no rule that says you can not use the shoulder I am suggesting encouraging the use of the shoulder in tackles by change the dangerous tackle rules) witch would make for better defensive structure and a more exciting game.

The other rule I would change is throw ins, instead of throw ins I would change the rule to the last player who touched balls team loses the ball (the same as RL) once again forcing better defensive structure and this will also make all players more aware of boundary line and fear going out because they will defiantly lose the ball.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
it takes much more awareness to play football than League or AFL

its easy to look around for your team mates with the ball in your hands, that argument is pretty mute

try doing it with the ball at your feet, knowing the ball is under your control without looking at your feet too much and knowing, or anticipating, where your team members are or will be

you'll never win that argument

Latest posts