What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

the ARLC

roughyedspud

Coach
on another note..

http://stevemascord.com/2012/10/29/discord-2012-edition-40/

By STEVE MASCORD
FURTHER to our treatise last week on international eligibility, and thanks to several readers, Discord has come up with a formula that would strengthen Origin’s integrity and that of international football – at the same time.
The only reason we have residency allowing players to turn out for Queensland and NSW is that we must have it at national level – to bring us into line with other major sports.
Cut the link between Origin and Australia and you can KEEP residency for the Australian team but SCRAP it for the State sides.
What does that mean? James Tamou and Aquila Uate can play for Australia, but not Origin, unless it can be proven that their first senior rugby league after the age of 16 was in NSW or Queensland.
And, chances are, they wouldn’t want to play for Australia in that case – which helps the international game. If Origin is first senior football after the age of 16 and that’s it, it’s more fair dinkum.
But if someone qualifies under that stringent criteria and still qualifies under the (different) international rules for another country, let em play!
I want to clarify what I was saying last week – I am not proposing Sam Burgess play Origin. What I am proposing is a situation under which Nathan Cayless could have played his entire career for NSW and New Zealand – because he qualified for both.
He is a fair dinkum New South Welshman, having played his junior football in western Sydney, and a bonafide Kiwi under international rules, through parentage. So let him play for both!

That’s what’s great about the internet and social media. A column like this is just the first big Tweet and by throwing the conversation open and reading everything, answers present themselves.
I hope the ARLC is reading.

i mean...its not like i've been saying that for years is it :lol:

hutch

First Grade
You can't see how ridiculous it would be if cayless played for nsw and then nz? He is also an Australian but made the decision to represent his heritage, good on him but he can't have it both ways. Good luck keeping any nz junior in nz if they can move to aus and play origin as well!

Last edited:

roughyedspud

Coach
You can't see how ridiculous it would be if cayless played for nsw and then nz? He is also an Australian but made the decision to represent his heritage, good on him but he can't have it both ways. Good luck keeping any nz junior in nz if they can move to aus and play origin as well!

as long as playing origin does'nt bar them from playing for another country it does'nt bother me where the juniors play.i

Springs

First Grade

No. Not at all. Origin and international footy have different eligibility rules. Cayless was born in NSW and played all his footy in NSW. It's not having it both ways, that would be playing for Australia and New Zealand, like Brad Thorn. State is a completely different level.

Springs

First Grade
And Minichiello played for NSW and Italy last year and was still eligible for NSW this year so it doesn't seem like many people care anyway.

hutch

First Grade
And Minichiello played for NSW and Italy last year and was still eligible for NSW this year so it doesn't seem like many people care anyway.

And when the day comes that all 17 of nsw's players all play for different countries, or all for another country such as Samoa, many people won't care? It makes origin a farce and international rugby league a farce.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
If you play for NSW or Queensland you are an Australian. And you play for Australia. If you look at a map, NSW is in Australia and so is Queensland. NSW cannot be found anywhere in New Zealand.

The internatuional rules need to be made more clear cut so there is less instances of players "choosing" who they can play for. Also, international qualification rules (parent, grandparent rule, etc) need to over-ride state of origin rules (where you play for first footy). It's where these rules clash is where we have a problem.

Having foereign players play for NSW or Queensland would make representative Rugby League a joke.

Springs

First Grade
And when the day comes that all 17 of nsw's players all play for different countries, or all for another country such as Samoa, many people won't care? It makes origin a farce and international rugby league a farce.

And that's all you keep saying, farce, man you must love that word.

Four players from this year's Origin series have already played for another country that isn't Australia.

And when the day comes that all of NSW's players play for Samoa, well I'd rather it then having 17 born and bred Samoans playing for Australia.
The internatuional rules need to be made more clear cut so there is less instances of players "choosing" who they can play for. Also, international qualification rules (parent, grandparent rule, etc) need to over-ride state of origin rules (where you play for first footy). It's where these rules clash is where we have a problem.

Having foereign players play for NSW or Queensland would make representative Rugby League a joke

Foreign players already have, and do, play for NSW and QLD. And you bring up a good point about different rules for international and state. They are separate, and should be kept separate. They should not have to clash at all.

adamkungl

Immortal
If you play for NSW or Queensland you are an Australian. And you play for Australia. If you look at a map, NSW is in Australia and so is Queensland. NSW cannot be found anywhere in New Zealand.

Having foereign players play for NSW or Queensland would make representative Rugby League a joke.

Ugh, State of ORIGIN and National representation are not the same concept. People have multiple countries making up their heritage. You can only have one state of ORIGIN.

Representitive eligibility already is a joke. Foreigners already play for NSW and QLD.

If you restrict SOO to players actually from NSW and QLD but allow them to represent their country of heritage, you go a long way to fixing these eligibility clashes we currently have.

My mum's from Malta, I was born in Sydney. In some fantasy land where I'm a talented footballer, why the f**k shouldn't I be allowed to represent NSW and Malta. I'm eligible for both, the only thing stopping me is a pointless rule that goes against the spirit of SOO and harms the International game.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
What's that do for Malta having Australians playing for them whilst spending all their life in Australia? Yeah they might have a very strong National team, but will it actually do anything in Malta for Rugby League?

adamkungl

Immortal
What's that do for Malta having Australians playing for them whilst spending all their life in Australia? Yeah they might have a very strong National team, but will it actually do anything in Malta for Rugby League?

Well then your issue is with international eligibility rules rather than State of Origin/Australian eligibility. Not relevant to the discussion.

Unfortunately until there are more semi-pro and pro domestic competitions around the world it is going to be very hard to make up competitive teams of domestic players outside the pacific, the UK and France.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
Well then your issue is with international eligibility rules rather than State of Origin/Australian eligibility. Not relevant to the discussion.

Unfortunately until there are more semi-pro and pro domestic competitions around the world it is going to be very hard to make up competitive teams of domestic players outside the pacific, the UK and France.

Oh yes it is, this is the International section, to most of us regulars here, we'd rather watch a test match any time over SOO. A lot of us Aussies don't understand that, we are not the only RL nation on Earth and it's about time the game started acting like it.

roughyedspud

Coach
nothing wrong with the heritage laws mate...

if a australian or englishman with maltese heritage see's malta as his pathway to playing international rugby league then so be it.......

every team in next years would cup is gonna have either australian or england heritage players in it....and australia & england are gonna have kiwis playing for them!!!

its way to late to say shit is'nt relevant cos it's all tied together lol

Last edited:

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
nothing wrong with the heritage laws mate...

if a australian or englishman with maltese heritage see's malta as his pathway to playing international rugby league then so be it.......

every team in next years would cup is gonna have either australian or england heritage players in it....and australia & england are gonna have kiwis playing for them!!!

its way to late to say shit is'nt relevant cos it's all tied together lol

All it is is money.

adamkungl

Immortal
Oh yes it is, this is the International section, to most of us regulars here, we'd rather watch a test match any time over SOO. A lot of us Aussies don't understand that, we are not the only RL nation on Earth and it's about time the game started acting like it.

I get that. Going back to your question about how it would help Malta, i've changed my mind, it is relevant, and moreso when you use more realistic examples like Pacific Island nations.

Australian-born players representing their country of heritage might be the difference between them getting flogged and being competitive. A spirited showing at the World Cup can provide promotion for the domestic competition, inspire a few kids to take up the game, increase the competitiveness of games and thus the crowd interest and profits, hopefully which will go back to development work.

Cutting that State of Origin tie to Australia, and tightening up state eligbility will get a few more players choosing their nation of heritage or birth, rather than Australia.

On a side note, is there a minimum on domestic players at this years world cup, and was there last year?

roughyedspud

Coach
no....and last year? you mean last world cup?

in the lead up to the 2008 there was a domestic player rule...even in the world cup qualifiers...but prior to the actual world cup tonga had a whinge saying that the domestic players might get hurt :lol: so the RLIF overturned it .

nadera78

Juniors
no....and last year? you mean last world cup?

in the lead up to the 2008 there was a domestic player rule...even in the world cup qualifiers...but prior to the actual world cup tonga had a whinge saying that the domestic players might get hurt :lol: so the RLIF overturned it .

During the qualifiers Fiji and the Cooks adhered to the rules but Samoa and Tonga didn't. And then Tonga had their little tantrum before the main event.